printer driver driver

Old January 12th 16, 08:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Tony

Default printer driver driver

Paul wrote:
Tony wrote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz writes:

Micky wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:27:03 -0500, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz wrote:

micky wrote:
In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:00:55
+0100, Stuart wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.
Beats me why Microsoft have to change things so that older printer
drivers
don't work any way. After all, a program sends the print request to
the OS
which then sends the information to the driver, why change stuff?

Well, actually Microsoft are in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to
make sure you have to keep buying new printers etc.
Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason. I wonder what MS gets out of it.
That is not what happens at all.
Tony
When I wrote my line above 5 months ago, I was sure it sounded
sarcastic, but reading it now, it didn't even sound sarcastic to me.
But that's how I meant it. Sorry I was misleading.
Fair enough.
Microsoft do not write the drivers for printers. The printer manufacturer
has
to do that.
So there is customer and shareholder pressure to develop new operating
systems
and the printer manufacturers have to decide whether they develop new
printer
drivers for it.
Actually, as far as I can see in Japan, the printer manufacturers
outsource the driver writing to a 3rd-party, they do not do it
themselves.
Hence there is yet another level of contracting and negotiations,
cost-benefit analysis and so on involved.
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7

Ah, I am sure you are right. And it probably makes it more difficult to
justify
new drivers.
I was making the point that it is the responsibility of the printer
manufacturer and not the responsibility of the OS developer.
I have lost count of the number of times I have heard people blame Microsoft
for poorly written or non-existent hardware drivers.
But your point is well made.
Tony

But there are attempts at "Universal Printer Drivers".

Microsoft makes unidrv, HP has something (which could
actually be from Microsoft for all I know). This
supports PCL5/PCL6/PostScript.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/b...tions/UPD.html

I'm interested in drivers like that, as a means to
"Print to file" in PostScript format. Then, pass the
PostScript to an old copy of Acrobat Distiller. Giving
me a Print To PDF capability. One benefit of my workflow
that way, is I can make huge pages if I want. Like make
a single page 108" inches in length. This sometimes
helps with bugs in Firefox, where "only page 1 prints"
and the other pages are invisible. If you make the
page size 108", you can then manage to capture the
entire web page in one image. It's absolutely useless
for printing when made that way, but provides nice
archival storage for viewing on screen later.

This works, until you hit the coordinate space limits
of PostScript/PDF, whatever they are.

This all started, when I had a 36" wide roll-fed inkjet at work.
The driver for that, made nice big pages in PostScript,
as the device had a PostScript interpreter in it. You
could send PCL or PostScript to it. And later, I continued
to use that print driver for home usage, making my "PDF
printer" based on the driver concept. When drivers for
that printer were no longer available, I switched
over to a Universal Printer Driver that has PostScript
support (the HP one). I think I may have used that in
a Windows 7 install. I don't know if there is a solution
for a later OS or not.

Paul

It is a while since I worked with universal drivers but my recollection is that
the Microsoft one is a single common package that has to have mini drivers
interfaced to it specific to each printer,. The HP driver did indeed handle a
wide range of HP printers.
Tony

Old August 18th 16, 07:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert Baer[_2_]

micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Naturally! Have you not heard about the new "economy" where you toss
anything and everything older than 2 years old?
Petty soon, you must toss anything that gets dusty.
Why the hell else are we way over 20 trillion in debt.

Old August 18th 16, 07:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert Baer[_2_]

Good Guy wrote:
On 18/08/2015 13:06, micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Of course there are people writing drivers for old printers for new OS.
The only problem is that they have over-advertised themselves and so
people are wary of them. They stick their Ad in almost anything, even
in articles when you focus on a particular word, something pops up.
People have said enough is enough and so they just ignore them.

Do a search and you will find lots of them but be careful about them.
Some are good and some are pure evil. they will take you and your bank
to cleaners.

Well,there is NOTHING for the Panasonic KX-P1093 (including NO manuals).

Old August 18th 16, 10:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul[_28_]

Robert Baer wrote:
Good Guy wrote:
[...]

Don't forget, that for old kit, there are *two* classes of drivers.

1) The manufacturer driver. They get tired of making drivers for
new OSes, and after five years, stop doing that.

2) Microsoft sometimes cooks up "universal" drivers for a class of
device. These may work out-of-the-box. Or, the driver package is
a kit, requiring a minimal amount of work by the manufacturer.
Universal drivers are possible, when there is a semblance of
an industry standard mode of operation.

It is the Type (2) drivers that you should be looking for.

I'm not an expert on Dot Matrix, but I'm willing to bet
there is some crusty old solution for them which is not (1).

http://geos-infobase.de/ND_DOCS/273IBM.HTM

Panasonic KX-P1093 (IBM Mode) {x1}

So for some reason, they recommend IBM Mode for yours.

"Dot-Matrix Guidelines

Almost all dot-matrix printers emulate an Epson or an IBM printer.
Exceptions to this rule include Toshiba, Texas Instruments,
some Okidata and C.Itoh printers. All Panasonic, Star Micronics,
and Citizen dot-matrix printers default to an Epson emulation
mode but can also emulate an IBM printer if you change the
printer settings.

In general, try an Epson printer driver first, and then try
an IBM driver if necessary.

Determine if the printer is a 9-pin or a 24-pin printer.
If a driver is installed, you can determine this by viewing
the available graphics resolutions. A 9-pin printer uses
resolution settings that are increments of 120 x 72.
A 24-pin printer uses resolution settings that are increments
of 120 x 180 or 180 x 180. Then, determine if the printer is
capable of printing in color and if the printer uses a wide
carriage (can take paper that is up to 14 7/8 inches wide).

Use the following table to determine which driver to use.
"

Naturally, there isn't a hope of getting such info
for a modern OS. But, try the terminology in a search
and see what pops up.

For example, every user is expected to be a rocket scientist.
Here, a user launched his own rocket, with only a few
burn marks from the experience.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d631635?auth=1

Paul
Old August 19th 16, 02:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert Baer[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Good Guy wrote:
[...]

* So far,drivers for the Epson FX-100, FX-80, FX-80+ and the LX-80
all(more or less) work. 9-pin Epson generic driver works.
Problem is graphics is all low resolution.

I'm not an expert on Dot Matrix, but I'm willing to bet
there is some crusty old solution for them which is not (1).

http://geos-infobase.de/ND_DOCS/273IBM.HTM

* Check; found that early in the game; used their list that had the
P1093 included and tried drivers listed (those available); about half
worked.
Note "NewDeal print drivers will not work with other Windows, OS/2,
or DOS programs."; What "other" windows programs?
AND, "You must have NewDeal software to use NewDeal print drivers."
Well, they DO NOT say this mythical software will run in (any version
you care to list) Windows.
Lastly,they DO NOT SAY where to get it...and how much...

Panasonic KX-P1093 (IBM Mode) {x1}

So for some reason, they recommend IBM Mode for yours.

* Saw that. Where the heck are their "drivers",etc?
All useless blabber as fa as i can tell.

* USEFUL chart and info

"Dot-Matrix Guidelines

Almost all dot-matrix printers emulate an Epson or an IBM printer.
Exceptions to this rule include Toshiba, Texas Instruments,
some Okidata and C.Itoh printers. All Panasonic, Star Micronics,
and Citizen dot-matrix printers default to an Epson emulation
mode but can also emulate an IBM printer if you change the
printer settings.

In general, try an Epson printer driver first, and then try
an IBM driver if necessary.

* Good point; will fiddle with IBM drivers;maybe i can get hi-res (AKA
readable) graphics.

Determine if the printer is a 9-pin or a 24-pin printer.
If a driver is installed, you can determine this by viewing
the available graphics resolutions. A 9-pin printer uses
resolution settings that are increments of 120 x 72.

* Thanks; my fiddling tells me it is 9-pin.

A 24-pin printer uses resolution settings that are increments
of 120 x 180 or 180 x 180. Then, determine if the printer is
capable of printing in color and if the printer uses a wide
carriage (can take paper that is up to 14 7/8 inches wide).

Use the following table to determine which driver to use.
"

Naturally, there isn't a hope of getting such info
for a modern OS. But, try the terminology in a search
and see what pops up.

For example, every user is expected to be a rocket scientist.
Here, a user launched his own rocket, with only a few
burn marks from the experience.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d631635?auth=1

Methinks he should have upgraded by returning to what he had for OS
(XP?) and the older Quickbooks.
Also bitch like crazy to QB about their (in effect) useless software).
Maybe even take them to small claims court: time wasted, equipment
rendered truly useless, money lost, etc.

Paul

Old August 19th 16, 06:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert Baer[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Robert Baer wrote:
Good Guy wrote:
[...]

Reference: the Epson FX-80 driver for the Panasonic KX-P1093.

The KB177512 article was the most useful, but the FX-850 seems to be
for a 24-pin printer and drives the KX-P1093 absolutely NUTS.
The IBM Generic Graphics driver produces graphics with worse
resolution (read: crappy); there is no "wide" version available.
The IBM Proprinter and Proprinter XL drivers work; the Epson FX-80 is
just as good.
The Epson FX-1050 driver looks the same, ditto for the Epson 9-pin
driver.
BUT..
Hold onto your hat!
Using the Epson JX-80 (color) driver gives excellent results!

Much thanks!
((now to see if that driver exists in Win7))

Old August 19th 16, 07:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

Robert Baer writes:

micky wrote:
Seems to me, someone should be able to write a printer driver driver,
that will take the output from XP, 7, 8, or 10 and convert it to what
the output from win98 or XP would look like, to be used as input for old
printers. So that old printers -- and other accessories -- could be
used with new versions of windows.

So it woudln't have to be printer-specific,

If this won't work, how come?

It annoys me that not only do they want us to buy a new version of
Windows, which often means a new computer, but then we have to buy new
printers, etc.

Naturally! Have you not heard about the new "economy" where you toss
anything and everything older than 2 years old?

Yeah, sad but true.

Petty soon, you must toss anything that gets dusty.

A lot of women, especially here in Japan, already live in that economy:
anything older than the last year's fashion must go, regardless of its
condition.

Regards,
Gernot
--