Inter Processor For DQ965GF Motherboard

Old December 5th 13, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tb

Default Inter Processor For DQ965GF Motherboard

On 12/5/2013 at 3:11:48 PM VanguardLH wrote:

So what happened to the old CPU that was in this old motherboard? If
the old one fried, and if not because the thermal paste was forgotten
or was poor grade and dried out so the CPU overheated or because the
CPU fan stopped spinning, how do you know a new CPU won't also fry?
Since this is an "old" mobo (which hints it's been sitting around for
a long time unused), why wasn't there ever a CPU in it?

This colleague at work gave me the motherboard for free but does not
know what happened to the CPU...

I figured that since I need one (used, if available), I might as well
get the fastest possible.

--
tb
Old December 6th 13, 11:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark[_23_]

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:27:02 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
wrote:

On 12/5/2013 at 3:11:48 PM VanguardLH wrote:

So what happened to the old CPU that was in this old motherboard? If
the old one fried, and if not because the thermal paste was forgotten
or was poor grade and dried out so the CPU overheated or because the
CPU fan stopped spinning, how do you know a new CPU won't also fry?
Since this is an "old" mobo (which hints it's been sitting around for
a long time unused), why wasn't there ever a CPU in it?

This colleague at work gave me the motherboard for free but does not
know what happened to the CPU...

Are you sure the motherboard works?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old December 6th 13, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tb

On 12/06/2013 04:45 AM, Mark wrote:

Are you sure the motherboard works?

My colleague thinks that it works. He just does not remember what he
did with the CPU.
In any case, that's one reason why I want to purchase a used CPU...
--
tb
Old December 7th 13, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:56:04 -0600, tb wrote:

| On 12/06/2013 04:45 AM, Mark wrote:
|

| Are you sure the motherboard works?
|
| My colleague thinks that it works. He just does not remember what he
| did with the CPU.
| In any case, that's one reason why I want to purchase a used CPU...

He remembers the board works, but not what happened to the CPU? Hmmm... I'd be
inclined to see if I could borrow a compatible CPU first just to check out the board.
That would be better than buying one and then discovering the board is no good.

Larc
Old December 8th 13, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tb

On 12/7/2013 at 2:12:43 PM Larc wrote:

He remembers the board works, but not what happened to the CPU?
Hmmm... I'd be inclined to see if I could borrow a compatible CPU
first just to check out the board. That would be better than buying
one and then discovering the board is no good.

Larc

If worse comes to worst I'll just put the CPU up for sale on eBay...

--
tb
Old December 8th 13, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

tb wrote:

If worse comes to worst I'll just put the CPU up for sale on eBay...

But if the regulators are fried on the mobo (which is what happened to
an old mobo for me) then the CPU will get fried. Just figure on buying
a used one for under $30 to limit your financial risk and if it fries
then that was the cost of the experiment.