Better customer service

Old June 26th 04, 06:08 PM
Jimmy

Default Better customer service

I have the very unfortunate bragging rights to working retail.
My resume could include, but does not for obvious reasons,
CompUSA, Macy's, WalMart, Winn Dixie (grocery) and Little Ceasar'
Pizza. I've also worked for some mom and pop computer stores.

The typical day at each of these stores was filled with
disgruntled customers. For every 10 customers who wanted some
more meaningful transaction beyond going through the cash
register with some item, nine of them went on the offensive.
One of the ten treated the staff with respect and decency.

It was a totally negative experience for nearly everyone
involved. A few die hard losers would go on to work retail
as a career. Most would do what I did: work there through
high school and college, move on as soon as possible.

After a few years of studying customer habits, it became trivial
to categorize complaints. Complaints are eirily similar across
stores and industries. Nearly all complaints could be avoided,
ironically, by a little bit of attention to details by the
customer.

The most common angry and heated complaints came from assholes
who were either trying to get something for nothing or who
screwed themselves. While working at CompUSA, for example, I
understood the jerk needed WordPerfect 6.0b because he just
read some zdnet publication saying 6.0 "A" was full of bugs.
But I am pretty sure his lack of planning in writing his
research grant that hinged on 6.0b, apparently, was not my
fault nor am I personally responsible for ensuring that he
read the package he was buying. Good luck on that deadline
tomorrow, friend. I understand procrastination screwed you
and you blame me. Yes. Have a great day.

Sigh.

So the point of this post is this. I'm experienced in retail
and have seen it all. None of it is good.

If Dell completely SUCKS, who's better? Apple to apple
comparisons would be nice. Dell did X, but Sony did Y in
a similar situation.

Nordstrom's (very pricey and uppity department store) has by
far the best customer service I have ever seen in my life.
They will gladly put a cup of coffee in your hands while your
wife shops. Returns take five seconds, no joke. But
unfortunately, it's rather pricey. We were given a simple
picture frame with no rare gems and no precious metals but
with a whopping $150.00 price tag. It's easy to see why
Nordstrom's can put coffee machines in every corner. So
I would think price:service counts.

Who treats you better than Dell and why?

Old June 26th 04, 06:51 PM
Peter Connolly

Jimmy wrote:
If Dell completely SUCKS, who's better? Apple to apple
comparisons would be nice. Dell did X, but Sony did Y in
a similar situation.

Jimmy,

Thanks for putting a logical view on it. Not everybody can be made happy all
the time, and that percentage will always depend on the amount spent on
'keeping the customer happy', regardless of the authenticity of their
complaint. Computer companies have a more difficult problem, because they
sell very technical items to a consumer customer base that - on the whole -
doesn't understand the technology. Have a look at all the Wireless and
networking kit in the Returned Pile at your local Computer superstore for
the proof.

It comes down to a simple calculation; spend a LOT of money with any
company, and they'll treat you well - because to keep your business, they
have to, and they'll make sufficient money out of you to be able to provide
that service. And a £1,000 computer just isn't a lot of money....

Regards,

Pete.

Old June 26th 04, 06:55 PM
Douglas

Did you ever think,the employee(YOU)was not taking the customers complaints
to heart? I too,worked in customer service,both b&m and phone.I would say
the vast majority of customers with problems treated ME with the utmost
respect.I have installed close to a million dollars of Dell systems,in the
last 4 years.I have seen first hand Dells customer service go rapidly
downhill!I repair 90% of my systems with no help from Dell,except a parts
exchange!