kaspersky rescue disk

Old June 1st 18, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
David W. Hodgins

Default kaspersky rescue disk

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:38:26 -0400, Shadow wrote:
Yes, they changed it after I last accessed it.
It now points to:
https://support.kaspersky.com/14221
And although it says you can boot it from a USB (in system
requirements), they don't tell you how to.
The old link to the Rescue2usb utility has been removed.
Sh*tty support ....
[]'s

Found the correct link at https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd2018
which leads to downloading
https://rescuedisk.s.kaspersky-labs....e/2018/krd.iso

Checking out the iso image, it's a customized isohybrid build of gentoo
linux, suitable for burning to an optical disc, or copying to a usb
device.

To copy such an image to a usb device, this page has links to a few
programs that can be used. The page is for Mageia linux, but the
instructions will work for a Gentoo linux iso image too.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Dump_Mage...ernative_tools

One important thing to understand, is that the iso image contains it's
own partition table, so when copying it to a usb flash drive, it has
to be copied to the drive, not to an existing partition on the drive.

If the drive currently has any partitions on it, make sure they are not
mounted.

Any data currently on the drive, including it's partition table will be
overwritten.

Be patient when copying the half gig iso image to the usb drive. It will
take a while, as they are much slower than a hard drive. Depending on
the usb drive, and other factors, it may appear to complete quickly,
even though it's still being written. Give it at least 5 minutes.

When you reboot the computer, if it ignores the usb stick and tries to
boot directly to the hard drive reboot it again, and watch for any
sort of a message such as "Press f7 for setup". Which key needs to be
pressed will vary depending on the computer's bios. Once in the setup,
look for any options similarly worded to "boot order", and in that
section ensure the usb device entry is moved to be before the hard
drive option, then save the setup changes, and reboot, which should
then load the recovery system.

FYI, I'm responding to the article as seen in alt.comp.anti-virus, as
I'm not subscribed to the pc-homebuilt newsgroup.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change to for
email replies.
Old June 1st 18, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Paul[_28_]

David W. Hodgins wrote:
[...]

If it's a Hybrid ISO, you can do it with Windows dd.exe port.

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip

Ubuntu was doing something like this too. At one time, they
had USB_Creator_GTK, which prepared some structures on a USB
stick so that a non-Hybrid ISO could be loaded. That worked
well, and I could use the Ubuntu USB_Creator to load a MINT
iso onto a USB stick.

When the Hybrid ISOs started coming out, they changed the
code in USB_Creator, so it's more or less sector-by-sector dd.
Which negated the ability to take older ISO files and
load then onto a USB stick.

If you have a copy of disktype handy (Cygwin, Win10 bash, etc),
you can also check an ISO to see what it contains in terms
of a partition structure.

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

disktype some.iso

And that will hint as to whether a dd.exe transfer will be
sufficient for the job.

And this does look suitable for dd transfer to a USB stick.
There's everything but the kitchen sink in here ("HFSPLUS" ???) :-)

L:\disktype krd.iso

--- krd.iso
Regular file, size 550.9 MiB (577619968 bytes)
DOS/MBR partition map
Partition 1: 2.813 MiB (2949120 bytes, 5760 sectors from 1122352)
Type 0xEF (EFI System (FAT))
FAT12 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
Volume size 2.796 MiB (2931712 bytes, 2863 clusters of 1 KiB)
GPT partition map, 192 entries
Disk size 550.9 MiB (577619968 bytes, 1128164 sectors)
Disk GUID 86543861-366F-174E-B237-9BFFE65ED0FB
Partition 1: 547.7 MiB (574343168 bytes, 1121764 sectors from 588)
Type Mac HFS+ (GUID 00534648-0000-AA11-AA11-00306543ECAC)
Partition Name "HFSPLUS"
Partition GUID 86543861-366F-174E-B236-9BFFE65ED0FB
HFS Plus file system
Volume size 547.7 MiB (574343168 bytes, 280441 blocks of 2 KiB)
Volume name "KRD"
Partition 2: 2.813 MiB (2949120 bytes, 5760 sectors from 1122352)
Type Basic Data (GUID A2A0D0EB-E5B9-3344-87C0-68B6B72699C7)
Partition Name "ISOHybrid1"
Partition GUID 86543861-366F-174E-B235-9BFFE65ED0FB
FAT12 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
Volume size 2.796 MiB (2931712 bytes, 2863 clusters of 1 KiB)
Partition 3: unused
ISO9660 file system
Volume name "KRD"
Preparer "XORRISO-1.4.8 2017.09.12.143001, LIBISOBURN-1.4.8,
LIBISOFS-1.4.8, LIBBURN-1.4.8"
Data size 550.9 MiB (577619968 bytes, 282041 blocks of 2 KiB)
El Torito boot record, catalog at 312
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 2531, preloads 2 KiB
Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 280588, preloads 2.813 MiB (2949120 bytes)
Platform 0xEF (EFI), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
FAT12 file system (hints score 5 of 5)
Volume size 2.796 MiB (2931712 bytes, 2863 clusters of 1 KiB)
Joliet extension, volume name "KRD"

L:\

Paul
Old June 1st 18, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Shadow[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 14:14:31 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
wrote:

[...]

I tried unetbootin on the latest ISO, downloaded today and
updated yesterday, according to the krd_bases_timestamp.txt, and the
resulting USB was not bootable. If I get bored, I might boot into
Linux and "dd" it.
It's a pity they don't offer the old stable 100% working
version while this "pre-alpha" project is underway.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old June 2nd 18, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Shadow[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 13:38:26 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2018 18:54:51 -0400, John B. Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2018 16:25:54 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2018 19:57:39 -0400, John B. Smith
wrote:

maybe there was something wrong with the Rescue 10 iso I downloaded
twice. I'll try downloading it again in a week or so, see if anything
has improved.

Check the MD5 after downloading. Though MD5 is relatively easy
to forge:

https://support.kaspersky.com/4162

They ought to supply SHA 256 or SHA512 as well as the MD5.
Strange for a firm that is supposed to be proficient in security.
[]'s

thanks for that link it says
"Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is no longer supported. use Kaspersky2018."
The 2018 version scans the OS so fast I wonder if the definitions are
even included with it. I can't see any place to download them once you
boot the disk.

Yes, they changed it after I last accessed it.
It now points to:

https://support.kaspersky.com/14221

And although it says you can boot it from a USB (in system
requirements), they don't tell you how to.
The old link to the Rescue2usb utility has been removed.
Sh*tty support ....

So I dd'd it to the USB, it booted, ran a scan (a million
files, took just over an hour), found 49 "malware", most of which were
Nirsoft utilities. 3 (non Nirsoft) were classified as trojans and one
was described as a browser hijacker, but I couldn't read the path to
the files (screen not wide enough), so I tried to save a logfile, but
that's not an option.
So I did some research and discovered it keeps the logs in
C:\KRD2018_Data\Reports\*.enc1
But the file is encrypted !!!!!
What am I missing ? Is there an util to unencrypt the file so
I can discover where the "malware" is and submit it to Virustotal ?
TIA

PS There is a warning:

https://support.kaspersky.com/14231

//Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018 makes changes to the operating system
files. This may affect the work of your operating system. Before you
start using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018, we recommend that you create a
backup copy of your operating system.//

WTF does that mean ? What "changes" ?
[]'s

Old June 2nd 18, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Paul[_28_]

Shadow wrote:

PS There is a warning:

https://support.kaspersky.com/14231

//Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018 makes changes to the operating system
files. This may affect the work of your operating system. Before you
start using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018, we recommend that you create a
backup copy of your operating system.//

WTF does that mean ? What "changes" ?
[]'s

Maybe they're referring to you having used some
"quarantine" function after malware is found ?

If you quarantine a file (say winload.exe), that
could brick the OS.

Paul
Old June 2nd 18, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Shadow[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 23:19:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:

PS There is a warning:

https://support.kaspersky.com/14231

//Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018 makes changes to the operating system
files. This may affect the work of your operating system. Before you
start using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018, we recommend that you create a
backup copy of your operating system.//

WTF does that mean ? What "changes" ?
[]'s

Maybe they're referring to you having used some
"quarantine" function after malware is found ?

If you quarantine a file (say winload.exe), that
could brick the OS.

Yes it would, but he old Rescue Disk did that too (as does any
decent bootable AV disk), and it's under the header "Special aspects
of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018". As in, "what is different from the
last version".
They certainly need to upgrade their PR skills.
[]'s
Old June 3rd 18, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

wrote:

maybe there was something wrong with the Rescue 10 iso I downloaded
twice. I'll try downloading it again in a week or so, see if anything
has improved.

Check the MD5 after downloading. Though MD5 is relatively easy
to forge:

https://support.kaspersky.com/4162

They ought to supply SHA 256 or SHA512 as well as the MD5.
Strange for a firm that is supposed to be proficient in security.

Hum, the MD5 link came up 404. Never done that before.

Weird.
The last ISO I downloaded (a couple of days ago) has the
following checksums:

MD5: 9F617FD4573CAAC2DEFC69017DB4234C
SHA-1: D7B6B15E1DBA821E89A439B962357214DADF0995
SHA-256:
DBDA178E1CD89DBC47E8B7304A1AF5B9F52B7D8BC8DA7DD25 FAC080E8C60E4CE

Anyone confirm those numbers ?

Could you tell me how you obtain these check sums?

I'm kinda confused as I suspect you guys are talking Linux at times
but I"m not sure. I only have XP.

I successfully made a bootable USB drive with the krb.iso using Rufus
and the dd option. I sure didn't take an hour to run the kaspersky
scan after I booted it. More like a minute.. Is there a way to look
inside the iso to see if the virus definitions are there?

Looking at my USB drive in Windows Explorer all I see 3 boot files
(efi's) and an fde_id.efi at 629kb.

Opening the ISO with 7-Zip:

krd_bases_timestamp.txt is 201805170648

Having discovered 7zip it says my krb.iso timestamp is 201805271958

Which is strange, because the previous version always had the
latest signatures. This one apparently needs updating before use.
[]'s

PS alt.comp.anti-virus added, where it's more appropriate.

Old June 3rd 18, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

The ISO contains multiple partitions. You copied it
via "dd" to the USB stick.

Windows will not mount all partitions on a USB stick.
It mounts the first one. Then, it stops. The second,
third, Nth partition are ignored.

This means the partition you happen to be looking at
right now, is not the "main body" of the USB boot stick.
It's one of the tiny partitions instead. And that tiny
one happened to be "first" in order.

(Linux on the other hand, would mount all the partitions.
But this is not important right now.)

Since you have 7ZIP, you can examine the contents of the ISO.
You can burrow into any partition inside the ISO. Or at least,
a restricted subset of partitions. NTFS and FAT32 should be
included.

The 005-bases.srm file on my download, is dated May 31, and
close to the point where I downloaded it. The definitions
don't seem out of date to me. The packages all have checksums,
implying the boot loader checks them somehow.

Traditionally, this ISO is constructed with a custom Gentoo
build. Gentoo is a Linux you build from source. You can put
just the components you want into it, to keep the size down.
And that's the OS that boots when you start the USB key.

The scanner program scans for Windows malware definitions.
It's an offline scanner.

The disc recently had a Windows Registry Editor added to it,
and that tool can be separated from the ISO and used on
other Linux distros. Perhaps this is intended for secondary
cleanup, where the malware gets removed, but the registry entry
that launched it, does not. The nuisance error messages that
causes, can be cleaned up using the Kaspersky registry editor.
One benefit of doing it this way, is malware likes to have the
registry entries owned by things like TrustedInstaller, to make
it hard for ordinary users or Administrator, to remove it. The
rescue disc registry editor just burrows into that thing, no
problem at all.

Paul
Old June 3rd 18, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.anti-virus
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Sure

http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

At the bottom of the page, you'll see the installer for XP.
Install, then right click on any file, look at "properties",
then "file hashes".
If you right click inside that window, you can choose the ones
you want displayed (I use MD5, SHA1 and SHA256) in "settings".

The more recent ISO will have different hashes, but the ones
above will probably match the one you downloaded.

I'm kinda confused as I suspect you guys are talking Linux at times
but I"m not sure. I only have XP.

When you boot from the Rescue Disk, you are booting into
Linux. Which is good, because you can scan for rootkits which might be
hidden if you scanned from a running Windows system.

I successfully made a bootable USB drive with the krb.iso using Rufus
and the dd option. I sure didn't take an hour to run the kaspersky
scan after I booted it. More like a minute.. Is there a way to look
inside the iso to see if the virus definitions are there?

Probably because you didn't scan your whole hard drive (look
at the scan settings). By default, Kaspersky Rescue Disk only looks at
boot sectors, system files and your startup programs. It might look at
browser extensions, and programs listed in prefetch too, but I'm not
sure. That only takes a few minutes. Ah, and it checks your hosts
file, and it said mine was "infected". False positive.
To scan a million files, it took just over an hour, but I have
an 8 core CPU. On my old PC, I'd leave it scanning overnight.
HTH
PS The bad thing is you cannot not save a readable log file.
The old version did.
[]'s
Old June 3rd 18, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

wrote:

Could you tell me how you obtain these check sums?

I'm kinda confused as I suspect you guys are talking Linux at times
but I"m not sure. I only have XP.

Checksums are a code key, where someone has compiled a program for
distribution. Many sources may have the same program, but some will
not provide such a key - or "hash table." The reason they do not is
because the program has been variously modified for inclusion of a
general class of malware. The provided key is an attempt to establish
physical verity, that the compilation is as original by good intent,
not an outside modification from parties intending to interject false
or misleading purposes, which having nothing to do with the original
program. These codes were also used earlier along in computer
backups, archival storage, so that the key could be used for a later
comparator when indicating evidence of modification and possible
corruption. A wholly different process of entropy or "natural"
degradation and breakdown of communications;- scabs interjecting
exploitational codeworks into everything they can get their grubby
paws on, comes to be widely seen at a more modern stage for
programming, not the isolated urban hero of yesteryear's joyboy
hacker, whose ego has grown criminal, but one in a matter of maturity
gainfully employed among industrial, and other classes, engaging in
widespread subterfuge.

I'm sure checksums would deserve better, sustained reading from more
reputable sources if the process is one of interest as a integral
discipline of the computer sciences.