NVIDIA is gearing up to end 32-bit OS support

Old December 26th 17, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default NVIDIA is gearing up to end 32-bit OS support

On 12/24/2017 7:15 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Full story:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/24/nvidia-is-gearing-up-to-end-32-bit-os-support/

If you haven't upgraded to a 64-bit operating system, you might want to
soon.

Are there any gamers not running x64 operating systems ?

Lynn
Old December 26th 17, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 12/24/2017 7:15 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Full story:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/24/nvidia-is-gearing-up-to-end-32-bit-os-support/

If you haven't upgraded to a 64-bit operating system, you might want
to soon.

Are there any gamers not running x64 operating systems ?

Lynn

Yes, gamers running really old games.

People select 32 bit OSes when they want backward
compatibility with really old code. Not all programs
are available in a modern format. Nobody is volunteering
to rewrite them. And in some cases, the source is
even lost. I have two programs here, of no special
interest to anyone, that have been "maintained"
by making binary edits. When one of the programs was
malfunctioning due to a new Internet twist, I did
a search and discovered someone made a binary edit
to the executable (in 2008) to "make it compatible".
And instantly, I could fetch mail again :-)

I think the call on OS bitness options should be made
by the OS company, in an organized manner. The ecosystem
is getting fragmented now, with stuff where Win7 is
crippled on purpose, and so on. We don't need that.
If they want to kill interest in desktops, they're
doing a good job.

There are ways to ease transitions. Apple used to
do that. And the x86 (not x64) translator Microsoft
is putting on their ARM laptop category (launching 2018),
shows Microsoft has finally learned an "Apple trick". If
you let the OS company provide leadership, who knows
what good things might happen. [It's not an x64
translator because of "patent overhang".]

Paul
Old December 26th 17, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 12/26/2017 4:03 PM, Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

I know a couple of gamers running old games on x64 Windows. They use
DosBox. Shoot, I have used it.
http://www.dosbox.com/

Lynn