SSD card blows up harddisk or part of motherboard ?!?

Old September 23rd 17, 01:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default SSD card blows up harddisk or part of motherboard ?!?

Hello,

One of my harddisks just failed ? I am not sure yet, but it remains undetected, or partially damage to motherboard.

I think what happened was as follows:

1. I may have had haste, I pushed a flash/ssd card into the card reader, but it was stuck in diagonal.

Because it has long metal plates on the SSD card, these plates may have caused a short circuit ?!?!?!?!

2. Other possibility might be static electricity transfer from SSD to PC, though this seems highly unlikely.

I am pretty sure that it must have been 1. Perhaps this also happened repeatedly over time, or perhaps it happened all of a sudden.

Let this be a BIG FAT WARNING to all users of SSD cards, do not place them in diagonally or stop using them all together, they a risk to the PC/harddisks ?!

I will investigate further in near future.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Other things that happened:

1. A blue screen, something saying "data page in memory" or something.

Checking windows system log it shows this:

"
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.
"

I did remove the northbridge fan like I did many times before to clean it and place it back, don't think that has anything to do with it but will mention this as well.

2. Anyway it is possible that my system was attacked by some firmwire virus..

I also noticed that some webpages might be activating the mic port on the x-fi elite pro soundblaster or perhaps it's doing something else to it, cause I heard a click.

I suspect a macromedia flash hack.

Though these suspicions might also be unrelated.

I will try to find out where these blue screens and system dumps are stored then I can investigate further.

(Fortunately it was the data drive and not the system drive otherwise I'd be in trouble... I am hoping that only a sata port was destroyed and not the harddisk... perhaps I shouldn't even be using my computer right now because a damaged sata port might destroy the harddisk eventually ? hmmm not sure about that).

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

If it was a firmware attack then it may have happened as follows:

1. I had Firefox open mostly, many tabs, many webpages.

2. A little bit of Opera.

Firefox is kinda junky... bad sound code, slow... probably some vunerabilities exist in there.

3. Since I kept the webpages open for further study and was using sleep mode, they kept running on my system 24/7 since I wasn't using my PC at the time.

4. A webpage/website may have received an instruction to update their "****ty ads".

5. One of the ads may have contained some sort of firmwire virus and might have struck.

For now I will assume this is not the case and sticking or pulling out the SSD card has caused damaged.

Perhaps pulling it out while it was trying to read something might also have caused it... not sure... I think it was done... but perhaps something was still running.

Just like to speculate about wild theories...

Why would windows report "firmware" corruption ? Makes little sense to me besides from a short circruit somehow causing firmware corruption...

Is such a thing possible ? Hmmm... kinda odd.

I never blew up a computer with comport 1/2 or parallel ports... but these ****ty usb and ssd technologies suck big time !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Oh I forgot to write something:

"Leaving webpages open for many days in Firefox or any webbrowser" is now considered an "unsafe" thing to do by my standards... just in case !

It kinda sucks... but so be it...

Perhaps firefox should also implement some "sleep functionality" for webpages... so that they cannot be activate like this to prevent virus and attack infections and **** !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Windows 7 blue screen looked like it was dumping something, it went to 100%

But system log shows:

"Crash dump initialization failed!"

(Perhaps some service is not running ?)

There is no c:\windows\minidump file with date/timestamp of today ? hmmm

So I guess no dump file ? Hmmm

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

This website/error message in system log is a bit suspicious:

"Name resolution for the name stilz.bandcamp.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old September 23rd 17, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 3:25:30 AM UTC+2, wrote:
This website/error message in system log is a bit suspicious:

"Name resolution for the name stilz.bandcamp.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Bye,
Skybuck.

It happened a one hour before the crash so I don't think it has anything to do with it and can be ignored for now.
Old September 23rd 17, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 21:46:04 -0400, Paul
wrote:

1. I may have had haste, I pushed a flash/ssd card into the card reader, but it was stuck in diagonal.

Because it has long metal plates on the SSD card, these plates may have caused a short circuit ?!?!?!?!

Oh, yeah. There's slop and then there's slop. Computers, in
instances, can be forgiving: allowances I've only permitted myself,
personally, to attempt with a likes of plugging a printer cable, into
it's data port, while the MB is up and powered;-- farther fetched, yet
I'm not going to discount it, would be a monitor (possibly powered
down) similarly inserted into live voltages from the MB or slotted
card.

Although they say never, ever do these things -- unless of course
you're wearing blue, or preferably pink surgical gloves, and strapped
for static;... it's what I'd imagine David Bowie meant when he sang a
song called - "It's the heart's filthy lesson."

Beyond which, I go into a mind set. I put myself into a place where
there are no mistakes, (attempting) thereby to rule out a layer of
physical slop by taking it up to the next level -- placing the onus on
the manufacturer. Habits for potential, as well unnecessary expenses,
where life, besides computers, is full of them.

An external HDD station has besides it's own dedicated power scheme,
which includes a button to prevent voltages being present when a drive
is mounted. That is what I choose to use. (To be honest, I haven't,
nor does an otherwise acceptable practice of hot-swapping drives
appeal to me;- I'm more than adamantly disposed to cycle down, only
*after* a double-check that I've securing all HDDs connections, before
powering up. It may be slow but I have functionally working 200G
Seagates, drives with 15 years service usage.)
Old September 24th 17, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 3:46:07 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Enter the BIOS.

Do "Load Setup defaults".

Does the computer recognize the drive now ?

You will have to re-enter any custom BIOS settings
after doing this, Like, if you're overclocking, you
need to enter the multipliers and clock values again,
any voltage adjustments and so on.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for trying to help !

I just rebooted my computer after some time it was off (since last I posted basically).

And surprise surprise, I just noticed the data drive is alive and kicking !

So your hypothesis that some wrong setting somehow entered the firmware/bios has some merit !

New hypothesis "gamma particle" ! LOL.

For now I am inclined to believe the SSD metal plate on the chip caused a short circuit in the SSD card reader or something strange like that.

Maybe in combination with windows 7 flipping out that I pulled out the SSD... or something... what exactly happened will remain a mystery for now...

Kinda **** that these blue screens are not stored somewhere ? hmmm... then again if it were a file system crash that might cause trouble to files

For now I am not going to hope that the data drive will remain intact for long... then again I have little choice for now. Though losing it would be a bit of a bumper it does contain my old system from windows xp in a virtual disk.

I will see how things go with it.

That reminds me I do have a slow usb external drive... I will probably hook it up and start exporting or mirror the entire thing... bit drastic perhaps... but I don't use that external usb drive for anything else at the moment... it just a backup drive.

Will do that later on though... will first have to calculate speed and estimated time to completion. Probably few days from now.

Then again that does screw the usb drive backup potential for future backups... then again buying another one of these drives is also a possibility.

So backup for now it is I guess... neh...

Now that I look at it again it doesn't seem to contain that much valuable things.... most of the valuable stuff is on drive C... yikes....

Would make more sense to backup drive C !

Hmmm... will have to think about what slight valuable stuff is on drive D... most of it is just backups and old stuff... and some music... the music I definetly wanna try and preserve some off (though most of my music already on drive C )

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

Motherboard Part No Binaryx General 4 February 2nd 12 01:47 AM
Intel Motherboard's Part and Serial Numbers? Larry Lindstrom Intel 2 September 25th 07 04:09 AM
How to identify motherboard part no. ?? John Fryatt Gateway Computers 18 October 16th 05 10:45 AM
New motherboard, what is this strange part? Michael C General 14 September 17th 05 02:11 AM
Can a motherboard damage a harddisk? matej bazec Storage (alternative) 3 January 22nd 04 11:14 PM