Strange new pdf animal? Anyone know how to print it?

Old February 23rd 17, 05:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Default Strange new pdf animal? Anyone know how to print it?

John B. Smith wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

"Print our standard paper Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return

I'll be damned. I was on that page when I was desperately searching
for something like that, but I missed it.

That has a link to the not-screwy PDF version. Notice the minor
differences in the URLs:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...fill_in_2d.pdf
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it201.pdf

Since you now have a link to a normal instead of an 'enhanced'
(impaired) fill-in only form, one strategy for 'breaking' the
limitations of the enhanced form aren't necessary.

I saved the enhanced .pdf form to disk, opened it with a linux .pdf
viewer Evince document viewer, and printed the form to .pdf from Evince.
That allowed it/ the printed .pdf/ to be opened normally or printed
with typical Windows viewer/printers such as PDFXChange Viewer.

Previously opening the enhanced .pdf with PDFXChange showed me a front
page telling me I had to open the .pdf with Adobe reader and the rest of
the pages were invisible. That viewing of the .pdf also did not allow a
printing of the .pdf which would display the content pages.

--
Mike Easter
Old February 23rd 17, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

David Samuel Barr wrote:

These forms are supposed to be a printable paper alternative to the
preferred (and in many cases mandatory) e-file. You are not expected
to send a pdf file to the state; they have nowhere for you to e-mail
it to (or to otherwise communicate with them in that manner). You
are supposed to type in the blanks, print out the completed form and
mail it in, and it shouldn't be so hard to do so.

Until last year, the state used standard fill-in pdf forms; you just
opened the form, typed in the available fields with your own
numbers/text, and printed the results. Last year, they modified
several of the primary forms to generate 2D barcodes based on the
field entries to expedite the scanning and processing thereof; the
new forms also compute totals where needed and, somewhat
problematically, calculate the tax due and the amount to be paid or
refunded. (The problem, I found, is that often the computed taxes do
not match those in the tax tables in the published instruction book
for the income amount.)

So this PDF is unusable unless the PDF viewer's Javascript is enabled.
Oh joy. Leave it to a stupid gov't boob to require a less-secure PDF
document to use it.

When you open a 2D file (I use Adobe Reader on various machines
running XP, Vista, and 8.1, with no problems), it first displays an
instruction sheet; when you click anywhere on the sheet it goes away
and presents the rest of the form. The green PRINT button is clearly
visible in the upper-left corner of the first page, next to a blue
LINKS button and opposite a red RESET one.

Those buttons are NOT present when viewing their .pdf in PDF-xchange
Editor. Apparently those buttons are not present in other *non*-Adobe
PDF viewers, too, from the responses by others. Must be an Adobe Reader
specific function. When I view that .pdf in PDF-xchange Editor, and
even when if I enable Javascript in that PDF viewer, the "first page" is
says "WARNING: PLEASE USE A DIFFERENT PDF VIEWER" (in red on yellow) and
then in black-on-yellow text tells you to use the Adobe Reader.

When you have completed the form (occasionally being guided or
corrected in your entries if needed), you need to use the PRINT
button to print it. The Reader's Print and Print Preview functions
will not work; while the print menu will pop up, the preview window
will just display an order to use the button instead and that's all
the menu will print, followed by blanks for any additional pages in
the form.

Without Javascript (a security vulnerability) enabled in the PDF viewer,
those buttons are absent. Without using Adobe Reader, those buttons are
absent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2YZnTL596Q
"How about the [CO2] scrubbers on the command module?"
"It takes square cartridges. The one on the LEM are round."
"[Sarcastically] Tell me this isn't a government operation."

The 10 Stupid Things the U.S. Government Spends Money On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8kQRu-YkA

25 Craziest Things the U.S. Government Spends Money On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmDp8DyasbE
Old February 23rd 17, 02:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 01:20:01 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

David Samuel Barr wrote:

[...]

Somewhere in the mists of time I altered Adobe Reader 5 with some
program (think I even paid for it!) that allowed me to create pdfs.
But the way it did it was to add a button to Microsoft Word97 and its
sister Microsoft Excel. After that I was scared to update my Adobe
Reader. Now neither Word nor Excel works for me anymore at that
ancient version so I suppose I better just deinstall them and update
free Adobe Reader to its current version.

Sooo.... when I was fighting the Green Button mystery in my state tax
pdf, my old Adobe 5 Reader was not letting me decode the state's
arcane software. I wonder if jingle brains in Albany ever considered
that possibility when he invented his great new system.

Old February 25th 17, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

David Samuel Barr wrote:

[...]

I guess this post is mostly worn out, especially for non-New Yorkers,
but i have a couple more tidbits that I find interesting, perhaps a
few others might:

I did dl Adobe Free Reader 11 and open the crazy 2D pdf with it. At
first it seemed to have the same problem but I somehow discovered that
"window sliders" won't work. They would just give me a message to read
the directions and when I ok'd it snap back to the top of the page.

(Yeah, probably not the right name, it's what I'm called those things
on the left and right of the window that you drag with a mouse in
order to read print further down the page)

The workaround is to simply use the page arrows at the top of the page
to bump it into the next page. (Reason I use window sliders is cause
my ancient eyes cannot read text on the screen. Eyes have weakened
enough so that even computer glasses won't help anymore. My regular
distance lenses (now interocular lenses since cataracts surgery) work
about as well. So I almost always resort to using ctl + to increase
print size. So I cannot read a whole page at once once magnified liike
that, but must use the sliders. So the sloppy programming in the pdf
is discriminating against old taxpayers.)

So now i can get the 2nd page and even type into it, still no Green
Button. Ah, but somewhere along in the process of filling in the form,
or saving it, and bingo that Green print button magically appears.
Click it and nothing. But SOMEWHERE along the way, maybe when I tried
to close the doc, and bingo there was my printer dialogue window.

This has been a pretty useless discussion for 99% of you guys out
there, but I sure wish I could have read all these replies when I
first starting fighting with my nys taxes.
Old February 25th 17, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Arnie Goetchius[_2_]

David Samuel Barr wrote:

[...]

I used the free Foxit reader at
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

It allowed me to open the fill in version of your form but immediately gave a
paragraph about how the software would not work and I should try something else.
However, it did let me open the file and let me start entering data on the
various lines and save the file. So it looks like Foxit will work if you just
ignore the protests :-)
Old February 25th 17, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

John B. Smith wrote:

At first it seemed to have the same problem but I somehow discovered that
"window sliders" won't work.

Those are scroll bars.

If the scroll bars weren't present for some reason,
then there should be page navigation buttons. If
desperate, you could even try PageUp and PageDown
keys.

Paul
Old February 27th 17, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 16:50:59 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Since they bitch that I wasn't using Adobe Reader when I opened the PDF
to which you linked, my guess is that Adobe Reader has some added
functionality that my PDF viewer does not have. The boob author might
be relying on Chrome's inbuilt PDF viewer having some function. The
boob got way too tricky with the PDF to make it universally usable.
Could be it wasn't even his choice. I've had many arguments with IT
folks who were merely committing actions commanded by management. Not
everyone in any business are computer wizards. Some are pretty stupid
when it comes to computers.

It occurs to me, could this be some sort of validation failure going
astray? The form is trying to santiy check the fields before printing
and that's failing because it's not filled in?
Old March 19th 17, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:55:48 PM UTC-5, John B. Smith wrote:
This is a long way from building computers, but I've
seen other posts that strayed at least as far, so here
goes: New York State is determined to 'encourage' us
to file our taxes online to spare them work. The past
few years I have been using AARP volunteers to
help/check my taxes and then file them online for me.
So I've never actually done it myself or want to. But I
do like to download the forms and pencilwhip them
before visiting AARP for my free help. (NYS can no
longer afford to distribute forms to us so we are
supposed to wear out OUR printers). Soooo... I find
the form I want online and attempt to print it out as I
usually do.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...fill_in_2d.pdf

This turns out to be some new (to me) kind of pdf that
resists being printed. If you attempt to Print Preview
in Firefox you see a message that says 'to print use the
'Green Button' on page one'. I don't have such a
button. I've tried several browsers and different pdf
readers, no help.
If I was going to attempt to fill the form out online
(remember all I really want to do is print it out and
pencil whip it) it resists this also.
I am working in XP, though I have Win7 available.
Seems to me a late model browser (my Firefox is
51.0.1) it would be the same in both OSs.

Don't you wish you lived in NY so you could have this fun too?

Did you click on the button at the bottom of the first form that says, "Click to continue to Form IT-201"? After you do that, the green button will appear at the top of the form but you have to fill in the information first or you will get an error message that the fields marked in red have to be filled in first.

Tom L
Old March 7th 18, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

[...]

Yes it's so annoying.. and the State has no ideas.. I'm on a Mac and found that by using this "PDF Writer" app I can save is as a PDF for printing at Kinkos.. PDFwriter_for_Mac_1.2.1
Old March 7th 18, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 07:56:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...fill_in_2d.pdf

| This turns out to be some new (to me) kind of pdf that
| resists being printed. If you attempt to Print Preview
| in Firefox you see a message that says 'to print use the
| 'Green Button' on page one'. I don't have such a
| button. I've tried several browsers and different pdf
| readers, no help.
| If I was going to attempt to fill the form out online
| (remember all I really want to do is print it out and
| pencil whip it) it resists this also.
| I am working in XP, though I have Win7 available.
| Seems to me a late model browser (my Firefox is
| 51.0.1) it would be the same in both OSs.
|
| Don't you wish you lived in NY so you could have this fun too?
|
| Yes it's so annoying.. and the State has no ideas.. I'm on a Mac and found that by using this "PDF Writer" app I can save is as a PDF for printing at Kinkos.. | PDFwriter_for_Mac_1.2.1

I get a message that this form needs Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or higher. My
Foxit PDF reader apparently lacks a necessary feature. Sounds as if the State of NY
is trying to push Adobe.

Larc