Fluffy fans probably more quiet.

Old August 5th 13, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Default Fluffy fans probably more quiet.

Hello,

A few days ago I cleaned the air hole above my furnace. This hole sucks
stinky kitchen air out of the kitchen and blows it up into the sky through
tubes.

I noticed how this hole started to hum after it was cleaned.

Apperently the fluffyness that was on it, either reduced the airflow, or it
simply distorted waves of sound.

So my theory/hypothesis is now basically very simple:

Even surfaces will lead to oscilliation/resonance of sound waves.

The smoother/even a surface is the more sound it will produce.

By adding fluffyness or perhaps other bums/imperfection it will break the
oscilliation and perhaps lead to more distortion/barely noticeable sound.

Or perhaps the fluffyness itself is responsible for petting the sound waves.

It's probably as soft as a feather/hairs... it's composition is probably
human dust and some oil/benzine burned particles from cars and busses.

Not sure if some special grease must be used for the fluffyness.

But it's worth a shot to apply to fans and see if this will actually make
them more quite, or more loud.

I do know if fans get stuff in their shaft that it will produce terribly
sounds... but maybe if it's on the blades it actually reduces sound... my
expectation would be that it increases sound... but perhaps this is wrong.
Or perhaps it depends on the pattern of fluffy.

The fluff looked like little hairs, with air gaps between them... as if it
was stroking the air gently ! =D - probably breaking sound waves.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 5th 13, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:54:44 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hello,

A few days ago I cleaned the air hole above my furnace. This hole sucks
stinky kitchen air out of the kitchen and blows it up into the sky through
tubes.

I noticed how this hole started to hum after it was cleaned.

Apperently the fluffyness that was on it, either reduced the airflow, or it
simply distorted waves of sound.

{trimmed}

Some fans are made with little grooves at the edges to make them
quieter, in imitation of the feathers of bird whose dinner depends on
stealth.

--
John
Old August 5th 13, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/08/2013 5:54 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Apperently the fluffyness that was on it, either reduced the airflow, or
it simply distorted waves of sound.
So my theory/hypothesis is now basically very simple:
Even surfaces will lead to oscilliation/resonance of sound waves.
The smoother/even a surface is the more sound it will produce.

I remember doing physics questions about sound wave in a pipe...

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old August 6th 13, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Robert Baer[_2_]

Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

Better yet: add fluffiness to Congress Critters!

Fans: who makes reliable, quiet fans with decent CFM flow? Ken[_8_] Homebuilt PC's 10 May 2nd 08 09:55 PM
7900GTX and aftermarket (quiet) fans dizzy Nvidia Videocards 6 August 17th 06 04:14 AM
Quiet fans and PSUs - any recommendations? Dave UK Computer Vendors 1 February 3rd 05 09:03 AM
Quiet fans Peter General 4 January 8th 04 05:39 PM
Quiet Those Case Fans mark7 Gigabyte Motherboards 1 January 2nd 04 06:51 AM