confused about Memory

Old August 4th 13, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Motor T

Default confused about Memory

I'm trying to upgrade the amount of memory in a friends laptop. The
one stick she has says: Hynix 512mb 2rx16 pc2-4200-444-12. Then: HYMP
564s64bp6 c4 ab. I see quite a few sticks for sale on ebay but they
mention things like sodimm/ddr2/non-ecc etc. I'm confused about all
this nomenclature since non of it appears on the stick she has. Can
someone advise me as to what would be compatible? Her laptop is a
Toshiba satellite of some sort. Thank you.
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Old August 4th 13, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Motor T" wrote in message
I'm trying to upgrade the amount of memory in a friends laptop. The one
stick she has says: Hynix 512mb 2rx16 pc2-4200-444-12. Then: HYMP
564s64bp6 c4 ab. I see quite a few sticks for sale on ebay but they
mention things like sodimm/ddr2/non-ecc etc. I'm confused about all this
nomenclature since non of it appears on the stick she has. Can someone
advise me as to what would be compatible? Her laptop is a Toshiba
satellite of some sort. Thank you.

Go here http://www.crucial.com/ and enter her laptop manufacturer and
model number, and you'll get a list of memory that's compatible with it.

SODIMM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM

DDR2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

non-ecc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory (simply put, it's
non-error correcting memory).
--
SC Tom
Oorah!!

Old August 4th 13, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 07:23:14 -0700, Motor T wrote:

I'm trying to upgrade the amount of memory in a friends laptop. The
one stick she has says: Hynix 512mb 2rx16 pc2-4200-444-12. Then: HYMP
564s64bp6 c4 ab. I see quite a few sticks for sale on ebay but they
mention things like sodimm/ddr2/non-ecc etc. I'm confused about all
this nomenclature since non of it appears on the stick she has. Can
someone advise me as to what would be compatible? Her laptop is a
Toshiba satellite of some sort. Thank you.

A Satellite is about the simplest thing going for calling and checking
around for unquestionably a correct fit. Lucky for you, as laptops
go, some I've run into can be a real nightmare, especially when
pricing parts. Toshiba doesn't treat people like that from what I've
seen.
Old August 4th 13, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Motor T

On 8/4/2013 7:45 AM, SC Tom wrote:

"Motor T" wrote in message
I'm trying to upgrade the amount of memory in a friends laptop. The
one stick she has says: Hynix 512mb 2rx16 pc2-4200-444-12. Then:
HYMP 564s64bp6 c4 ab. I see quite a few sticks for sale on ebay but
they mention things like sodimm/ddr2/non-ecc etc. I'm confused about
all this nomenclature since non of it appears on the stick she has.
Can someone advise me as to what would be compatible? Her laptop is
a Toshiba satellite of some sort. Thank you.

Go here http://www.crucial.com/ and enter her laptop manufacturer
and model number, and you'll get a list of memory that's compatible
with it.

SODIMM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM

DDR2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

non-ecc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory (simply put, it's
non-error correcting memory).

Thanks for the tip. Very helpful.
OORAH!

--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Old August 4th 13, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:45:44 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

Go here http://www.crucial.com/ and enter her laptop manufacturer and
model number, and you'll get a list of memory that's compatible with it.

Second this. If you're unsure about the memory a board wants just
download their analyzer and see. I've built my own gear (and a fair
amount of other gear also) for ages and yet faced with anything
uncertain I don't even try to figure it out, just run that.