Got my XFX One PCI-E vidcard

Old July 27th 13, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default Got my XFX One PCI-E vidcard

On 27/07/2013 6:33 PM, Flasherly wrote:
Putting the card through its paces, though, I'm not really seeing much
of an improvement, a practical intent I use it for video decode
playback, over what the MB's vidchipset performance generates;-
although that's neither having switched first to give DVI/HDMI due
consideration, or making a test run through the full ATI driver
install for what further potentials may be. Nope, nothing especially

Try LAV Filter (codec)...
http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/

.... and MPC Black Edition!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

They both can use DXVA2 of DirectX 10.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old July 27th 13, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 27/07/2013 7:25 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

They both can use DXVA2 of DirectX 10.

I assumed that you were using Win 7.

Old July 27th 13, 01:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:26:12 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 27/07/2013 7:25 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

They both can use DXVA2 of DirectX 10.

I assumed that you were using Win 7.

I'm using the Chinese player, PotPlayer - have been for a couple
years. I did manage LAV Filter in it, just now, however I'm seeing no
apparent benefit when switch to LAV over recommended/or built-in
filters;- DX10/DXVA2 -- DOOM9 website, whew, long time since I was
there learning encoding on much older equipment -- needless to mention
if it's a W7 over XP dependency thing.

Your player link, however, I dunno about that one. PotPlayer is a
hell'va player and I wouldn't easily give it up. Really, the player
qualities I'm getting is pretty high, at least for me, although I'd of
course put a reservation on it at least until I can see to judge
higher standards and how appropos that might subjectively be
(something perhaps like my sound system, hi-end studio monitors and
such, and approaching points where quality sound goes beyond
practically 'very good' and into both subjective and esoteric
territory).

Anyway, back to what need first to have been said -- I installed the
whole ATI Catalyst package since posting to Paul, and it's pretty
close to a big and noticible 'difference' - believe after some more
time on it as my main vid/entertainment thing, and I should be
convinced I won't want to go back to the MB's native vidchipset
drivers. It's pretty impressive for, all told, no major snags or
hairpulling, inasmuch a plugin-type improvement to simple ends. Should
be good to go the way it is, looking more than not already established
for a definite and positive improvement.

These drivers I'm liking more and more for detailed, precise in
chroma/backliight balances, and for a more workable contrast to
brightness levels.
Old July 27th 13, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 27/07/2013 8:14 PM, Flasherly wrote:
Anyway, back to what need first to have been said -- I installed the
whole ATI Catalyst package since posting to Paul, and it's pretty
close to a big and noticible 'difference' - believe after some more
time on it as my main vid/entertainment thing, and I should be
convinced I won't want to go back to the MB's native vidchipset
drivers. It's pretty impressive for, all told, no major snags or
hairpulling, inasmuch a plugin-type improvement to simple ends. Should
be good to go the way it is, looking more than not already established
for a definite and positive improvement.

5450 was never a hi-end Radeon. Don't expect too much about its speed...

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 19 i686) Linux 3.10.3-300.fc19.i686
^ ^ 23:30:01 up 4:56 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
Old July 27th 13, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

Flasherly wrote:
Flasherly Flasherly live.com wrote:
Little toasty

No sensors so measured its black mass with a laser sensor gun's
projector LED beam and it's 115F with the case cover off.
Definitely going to be toasty once locked down and in.

If the card is fanless, and your case has a rear exhaust fan,
the temperature will actually go down (because there will be air
moving across the fins). When the side is off the case, the
airflow is no longer constrained.

There are other factors... Like hot air rises, it doesn't just sit
on the fins. The benefit of moving air flow in a closed case might
depend on the location of your hot device. If it's at the end of
the airflow, the airflow is going to be warm or hot. Currently, my
case is open with a filter fan blowing into it. I always use the
filter fan anyway. Of course I agree with the advice to measure the
temperature. Monitoring is almost always a good idea. Not that it
matters, but I use "RealTemp". Works correctly in windows 8 64
bit.

--

And give the readout on GPUZ a try. Do a measurement with the
side off, and with the side on. And see which direction the

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Paul

Old July 27th 13, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:03:34 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

There are other factors... Like hot air rises, it doesn't just sit
on the fins. The benefit of moving air flow in a closed case might
depend on the location of your hot device. If it's at the end of
the airflow, the airflow is going to be warm or hot. Currently, my
case is open with a filter fan blowing into it. I always use the
filter fan anyway. Of course I agree with the advice to measure the
temperature. Monitoring is almost always a good idea. Not that it
matters, but I use "RealTemp". Works correctly in windows 8 64
bit.

The only real cooling benefits I'm getting these days are the lowest
I've ever experienced with budget but relatively high-end CPU
heatsinks. The rest of the case - that one I put the 5450 into -
there's a certain feeling that comes with holding all the HD SATA
cables, one one hand, pushing them firmly into right angles, while the
two hands are attempting to shoe-horn the PCI-E videocard into its
slot.

Then, again, a relatively no-name case. Unlike this ANTEC all
aluminum, which really *wants* to be a high-end case, all except for a
poorly engineered HD cage, where the engineers went out for a few
beers after determining HD mounting and securement, instead of
realizing how that would restrict cross-case air flow (it originally
came with two oversized cross-case fans, front and back, that were
entirely too powerful -- 1) noisy and 2) damning for tending to gather
dust into the case insides.
Old July 27th 13, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:33:09 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

5450 was never a hi-end Radeon. Don't expect too much about its speed...

Never was about speed - just hoping it will do everything better,
which believe it is, other than what limitations are to a 40" NEC
monitor's persistence levels. An unusual monitor in itself - made
according to NEC for commercial-grade settings, such as airport flight
terminals for displaying info 24/7. This smaller OLEVIA, a 32" on I'm
on now, is almost twice as old, (going on 10 years), and one of the
*very first* consumer grade LCDs produced and originally sold for
$2000US (I bought it a year later when the priced dropped to $800).
Old July 28th 13, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 28/07/2013 3:23 AM, Flasherly wrote:

Never was about speed - just hoping it will do everything better,
which believe it is, other than what limitations are to a 40" NEC
monitor's persistence levels. An unusual monitor in itself - made
according to NEC for commercial-grade settings, such as airport flight
terminals for displaying info 24/7. This smaller OLEVIA, a 32" on I'm
on now, is almost twice as old, (going on 10 years), and one of the
*very first* consumer grade LCDs produced and originally sold for
$2000US (I bought it a year later when the priced dropped to $800).

If you were serious about colors, you should be using those expensive
IPS monitor. You also need a hardware device to calibrate its colors.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 19 i686) Linux 3.10.3-300.fc19.i686
^ ^ 17:27:02 up 22:53 1 user load average: 0.02 0.05 0.08
Old July 28th 13, 01:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:40:48 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

If you were serious about colors, you should be using those expensive
IPS monitor. You also need a hardware device to calibrate its colors.

The NEC LCD monitor is only relative to the NVidia videochipset on
that particular motherboard. The 5450 being the superior display. A
day on the 5450, and probably one of the most critical areas, blacks,
show they're a base to remain blacker while either contrast or
brightness have less to introduce to factor, earlier, by way of grays
being introduced into the blacks. ATI appears to have the "smoother"
chipset/driver package.

Going into a setup involving a IPS or higher quality monitors also
wouldn't involve lesser quality encodes, but sourcing them to digital
media references. I have done that with audio -but, no, you're right-
video in itself, nearer for professional levels, isn't something I
should care to take seriously.
Old July 28th 13, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 28/07/2013 8:10 PM, Flasherly wrote:
Going into a setup involving a IPS or higher quality monitors also
wouldn't involve lesser quality encodes, but sourcing them to digital
media references. I have done that with audio -but, no, you're right-
video in itself, nearer for professional levels, isn't something I
should care to take seriously.

Thanks. I hope I would never need to care about colors.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 19 i686) Linux 3.10.3-300.fc19.i686
^ ^ 20:12:02 up 1 day 1:38 0 users load average: 0.01 0.02 0.05