Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

Old July 24th 13, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Default Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

Skybuck Flying wrote:
What do you do if you need to try again ?

Remove everything and a new dot ?

Or just add a little bit more ?

In last case that kinda defeat the whole purpose eh ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

1) One objective, is to remove any air bubbles.
That requires cleaning off the stuff on there already.
Wipe off enough, until a white haze is all that's left.
You don't have to clean it until it is shiny again. Just
wipe off the excess.

2) Apply your calibrated dot of paste, then squash
the cooler onto the dot, and fasten the clip.
You're done. Inspect from the side (with a mirror),
and check that the joint between CPU and cooler,
shows a bit of paste. That proves the installation worked.
If you can't see paste on the joint between CPU and cooler,
you need more paste (bigger dot of paste).

If the CPU is cool enough now that the machine is not
shutting down, you don't have to do anything.

But if you feel the computer is running hotter than other
people using the same processor, then fixing the paste
might help.

Your processor is probably good to at least 65C.
Just a guess. That's 65C Tcase.

Also, have you checked thar BIOS setting yet ?
When the cursor is placed on the shutdown item,
do the "+" or "-" keys do anything ? If you can
adjust the BIOS-controlled shutdown, again, maybe
you don't need to do anything except disable the
shutdown.

You see, that BIOS shutdown, is not the only shutdown
feature. There is still THERMTRIP (hardware protection).
So you are always protected against a damaging level of heat.
The BIOS feature, would be in addition to THERMTRIP.

Paul
Old July 24th 13, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Johann Klammer

Skybuck Flying wrote:
You are not alone.

My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot handle
the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios
shuts down the PC.

The temperature shutdown seems to be at 50 according to motherboard
settings.

Where's the thermal sensor placed?
If it is on the die itself, it'll show rather higher values than an
external one...

So there I will be... playing Company of Heroes and all of a sudden...
booom... it shuts off.

Well at least this will prevent frying damage or so... so I kinda like
it as long as it doesnt happen well I am busy with something important

So far it has not happened with anything important just gaming.

The solution for me for now is to keep the doors and windows open and
allow some cool breeze to come in... this will drop the temperature down
to 26 degrees celcius.

So my computer crashing or not crashing depands on 1 or 2 degrees.

Apperently the AMD X2 3800+ CPU is rated at about 85 watts or so...
apperently that's way too hot.

I am not happy with how CPU's are marketted today...

They all have the same name and same model number... sometimes there
will be a letter behind the cpu's model number for example for latest
intel haswell processor a T.

Apperently the T versions run at reduced clock rates, which makes them
consume less energy... instead of 85 watts it will be 65 watts or 45 or
35 watts or something.

So I was thinking... maybe it's time to ditch the AMD x2+ 3800+ crap
cpu... and switch to something else...

But this could be an expensive joke:

Probably new power supply needed, new motherboard, new memory... maybe
even new graphics card or maybe not.

What's further annoying is the cheap **** that's between the wafer and
the cpu heatspread apperently this could be replaced and make it drop
some degrees.

Not sure what happens if my finger would touch a waver if that would be
the end of it. Does seem interesting but at 35 watts or 45 watts doing
that might not be necessary.

For now I will see how it goes however... there are very hot days
ahead... so keeping the doors open might not be possible.

Right now I am thinking... maybe there still is a socket 939 processor
somewhere.... with much lower heat... that could be nice... but then me
would be a little bit worried about the performance Maybe even a
single core.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 24th 13, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Johann Klammer wrote:
Skybuck Flying wrote:
You are not alone.

My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot handle
the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios
shuts down the PC.

The temperature shutdown seems to be at 50 according to motherboard
settings.

Where's the thermal sensor placed?
If it is on the die itself, it'll show rather higher values than an
external one...

Look at his picture again.

http://www.skybuck.org/Winfast/Tempe...th1GHZMode.png

The silicon die has at least two sensors, if you believe the picture.

As for the other four listed sensors, sometimes those are fake (open circuit).

A person should load up Prime95 or cpuburn or similar 100% CPU program,
then watch *all* the sensors, to see which ones move, which ones
move fast, which ones move slow. The fast moving ones, are
right on the silicon die. The slow moving ones are
elsewhere. The rate of change will distinguish all but
a few, such as a Northbridge sensor from a motherboard
case ambient sensor.

I doubt they'd bother with the old socket sensor tape, when
the S939 has internal diode sensing.

I have a motherboard, where a "THRM" input accepts my RadioShack
thermistor, and I use that to measure room temperature outside
the case. Not many motherboards provide a two pin header for
that kind of thing. But that's an example of what they can do with
left over channels on the SuperIO hardware monitor.

Paul
Old July 25th 13, 02:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:33:51 +0200, Johann Klammer
wrote:

The solution for me for now is to keep the doors and windows open and
allow some cool breeze to come in... this will drop the temperature down
to 26 degrees celcius.

So my computer crashing or not crashing depands on 1 or 2 degrees.

Apperently the AMD X2 3800+ CPU is rated at about 85 watts or so...
apperently that's way too hot.

I am not happy with how CPU's are marketted today...

Think I've the same processor. I like mine, though. You should set
it up right in the bios, to where it doesn't shut down. What's AMD's
specs on it: 175F for the lower end of "toasty" ratings? Decent
heatsink -- and 130F can be expected, especially since made back when
they were drawing some wattage.

No sweat.

Gonn'a sell it, too? That's how and where I got mine, too - $10US
Ebay used. Working great no issues for a year or so. Make somebody
happy. Nice case. . .got a CoolerMaster monster CPU/heatsink to go
with it? They're cheap, too.

Only trouble with AMD and temps I had are past - pushing 130F way back
when, well before dual cores.

Thing to watch out for is instability.

Playing hell with, say, archives and compression, when the processor
is introducing errors due to a partially fried brain is the Big No
No. Test everything, for sure, but that processor was blowing away
anything comparable by way of Intel pricing I've yet to run into (skip
the Pentium D architecture and check out present Conroe pricing).
Old July 28th 13, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Tom Hoehler

"T" wrote in message
In article ,
ess says...

On 21/07/2013 1:22 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
You are not alone.

My DreamPC for 2006 and fixed throughout the years also cannot handle
the heat.

Not even with an Antec 1200 case, somewhat cleaned.

At 27 celcius degrees, the CPU gets so hot that the motherboard's bios
shuts down the PC.

Presumably you've checked that the CPU fan (assuming there is one) is
running.

I had a problem of an overheating CPU some years back that I eventually
traced to inadequate thermal contact between the heatsink and the CPU.
Reapplying some heatsink compound solved the problem.

Sylvia.

I remember an old white box computer I had. You could always tell when
the CPU fan died because system would blue screen you to death.

Replace the fan and all ran well until that one died.

For mini towers, there are blower type fans available that turn slowly and
move a lot of air. Those with ductwork to direct air over the processor
sink work very well. My Dell 5100 is set up that way; however, you have to
take it outside once a year and blow out all the lint and dust. Small price
to pay to keep an old box going for 7+ years.

-Tom

Old July 29th 13, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 20/07/2013 3:43 PM, Desmond wrote:
It is so hot here this summer that my computer crashes when it gets hot. I was looking into water cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the prices vary from £199 to £1,400.

Did you forget to re-apply thermal compound to your CPU cooler?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old July 30th 13, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Try this sometime if you haven't:

4 little dots in each corner ?!

+ +
+ +

Bye,
Skybuck

Old July 30th 13, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Hmmm better ignore the 4 dots method lol..

It probably stupid...

It will probably create big air bubbles near the center which would be worst
case situation

At least the dot method pushes air out to the sides

Then again I wonder what my smearing has for an effective

Maybe a few micro bubbles here and there

At least corners well done

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 30th 13, 03:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Settings can be changed from 45 to 55 or 60 or so as far as I know if it's
capable of being disabled I dont know.

But I like the feature... so I am going to leave it as it is.

Didn't have any more shutdown problems.

Though windows wouldn't be windows if it didn't have other problems.

Now that windows 7 is un power saver mode... the login screen will freeze up
the pc if I dont login.

Have to do a hard reset and reboot.

Not sure if this is because of a driver issue or if it's a windows 7 bug.

Bye,
Skybuck.