Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

Old July 20th 13, 08:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

Default Help my PC is dying of heat exhaustion

It is so hot here this summer that my computer crashes when it gets hot. I was looking into water cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the prices vary from £199 to £1,400.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/WC...lue_35292.html

I am not sure about the options here. Do I NEED to pick one or can I just transfer mother board and other things into the case. Any help would be great.
Old July 20th 13, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andy[_15_]

"Desmond" wrote in message
It is so hot here this summer that my computer crashes when it gets hot. I
was looking into water cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the
prices vary from £199 to £1,400.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/WC...lue_35292.html

I am not sure about the options here. Do I NEED to pick one or can I just
transfer mother board and other things into the case. Any help would be
great.

Desmond.

Hi Desmond,

Based on the cost of water cooling and the rarity of this heat wave, my
advice would be to remove your case side panel.

Andy

Old July 20th 13, 10:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
It is so hot here this summer that my computer crashes when it gets hot.
I was looking into water cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the
prices vary from £199 to £1,400.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/WC...lue_35292.html

I am not sure about the options here. Do I NEED to pick one or can I just
transfer mother board and other things into the case. Any help would be great.

Desmond.

That particular product, looks to be a combination of two products.

A CM-690 Version II, is a computer case. Coolermaster makes a number
of minor variations.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-119-259-Z05?$S640W$

The "240" in the title, could be referring to one of these kits.
It has a water block for the CPU, and a radiator that fits near the
top of the computer case. The radiator has exhaust fans, to move
the heat out into the room.

"COOLER MASTER Eisberg 240L Prestige"

Your web site doesn't go into enough detail, for me to verify those
are the box contents.

*******

I wouldn't buy something like that, without first understanding
why the current cooling solution is not working.

Air cooling, is a two stage process. CPU to case air, is handled
by the CPU cooler and CPU fan assembly. That transfers the CPU heat,
into the case air, and makes a "warm cloud" around the CPU.

To move the warm cloud, you need an air intake vent (near the front),
and an exhaust fan (near the back). That causes a constant flow of
air through the case, and moves the "warm cloud" out of the computer.

You can trade off the two cooling subsystems. You could use a loud
back fan, and a quiet CPU fan. Or a loud CPU fan and a quiet back fan.
In other words, both parts have their own delta_T to contribute to
the final CPU temperature. If you're using the finest cooler for
the CPU, that money can buy, and the CPU still isn't cool enough,
it means the exhaust fan on the back is not enough.

A "well cooled case", has a 7C to 10C temp rise above room temp.
Say the room is 25C. Then if your motherboard has a surface mount
thermistor, it should register 35C or less. That tells you the
exhaust fan on the back is doing its job. On my previous computer
case, I had to remove some plastic trim on the front of the case,
to get sufficient air intake cross-section, to support the volume
the exhaust fan was moving. (I was getting the vacuum cleaner sound,
when the side panel was placed on the case. More vent in the front,
eased the vacuum cleaner effect.)

The CPU cooler is rated by "theta_R". (Only Zalman will tell us the
value, and most manufacturers won't admit the value, as it makes
shopping for the best one, too easy.)

Let's work a typical example, using our 25C room, and 35C internal
case air temperature.

The cooler that comes with the CPU, has a theta_R of 0.33C/W.
Say the processor is 100W, just to make the math simple.
0.33C/W * 100W = 33C. 35C case air, plus a 33C delta_T to
the CPU inside, gives a CPU lid running at 68C. This is a bit
on the warm side.

If I switch over to an enthusiast air cooler, perhaps it has
a theta_R of 0.15C/W. Now the delta_T is 15C, and the CPU is
35C+15C = 50C. This is below 65C (for certain AMD processors),
and I'm happy.

Notice the two contributions. The rear fan made things 10C warmer.
The CPU cooler made things 15C warmer. There isn't much room left
to improve either of them now. I would need a very loud rear
fan to get below 10C delta. And the CPU cooler, it's hard to
find something below 0.15C/W. Maybe I can find a 0.11 or 0.12 one.
Some of the coolers are so large, they prevent all the DIMMs from
being installed, so be careful what you wish for.

Based on these examples, measure your CPU temperature, internal
case air temperature (use a glass thermometer), and room air
temperature. Compute your delta_T values, and see if something
isn't obviously out of whack.

When you fit the CPU cooler:

1) Check that it is fully seated. I had one cooler that sat
at an angle, because the heatsink was the wrong shape. It took
a solid half hour of filing in my bench vice, to fix it. As
another example of an oddity, on Intel Core2, the top of the
processor is convex, while the CPU cooler is flat. No, I don't
recommend lapping it. The convex shape is the result of the
soldering operation they use, to affix the top.

2) If using thermal paste, make sure the gap between CPU cooler and
CPU, has just a tiny bit of paste oozing out of the gap. That helps
prove you used enough. If you didn't use any thermal paste, and
there was no other thermal interface material (TIM) present, then
that is your problem right there. The CPU is going to throttle,
if there isn't some paste present.

3) Make sure the heatsink fastener is secure. On AMD, a certain brand
of cooler is known to snap off the plastic tab on the side of the
processor socket, leaving the cooler dangling loose, and causing
an overheat. If the fastener pulls on the plastic socket, inspect
it regularly to make sure it is still holding :-)

If you're overclocking, I can see the attraction of a water cooling
system. If you're running stock clocks, then you should be able to
scrape by with air cooling. Some overclocking efforts, dissipate
200W at the processor, which is a bit much for a cheap air cooler.

To work out the required CFM of the rear fan, the cabinet cooling equation...

CFM = 3.16 * Watts / Delta_T_degrees_F

Here, watts would be the total watts of video card plus CPU plus
hard drives and so on. That could be a couple hundred watts. If the
video card vents out the back, a fair portion of the power is not
to be counted. If you do that math, and get 35 CFM, that's an
"ordinary" fan and not obnoxious. If the math works out to 100CFM,
you'd either need a very large fan (a case with a 220mm fan),
or be prepared for a deafening roar. I have a fan that will do
110CFM or so, and I have to keep it turned down. I'd have to leave
the room, if I fed the fan the full 12V. The fan in that case, is
37.5mm thick and thicker than a standard fan. And I think it draws
around 1 ampere of current (so it's not a good idea to run it
off a motherboard header). That's an example of an extreme. And
you don't really want to do that. A number of Dells use fans like
that, but normally the fan control is turned down on those as well.
Only under a failure, does the Dell fan start to wail.

But at least there is a cabinet cooling equation. If the computer case
air seems really warm, and you have a good idea of the total DC power
being used in the box, then you have the ingredients to figure
out the fan CFM (cubic feet per minute) needed. I'm not skilled
enough in the maths of CFMs, to tell you what happens when
there are seven fans, some pushing and some pulling :-) That
is why I like to start with a simplistic cooling system, so
I can easily relate to the cabinet equation.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 20th 13, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:43:30 -0700 (PDT), Desmond
wrote:

It is so hot here this summer

that my computer crashes when it gets hot. I was looking into water
cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the prices vary from
£199 to £1,400.

I am not sure about the options here.

Do I NEED to pick one or can I just transfer mother board and other
things into the case. Any help would be great.

Desmond.

I tend favor Intel over AMD for heat, although ideally I don't like
over 115F. Which is funny, because I'm getting around 130F on a 4000
or thereabouts AMD X2 core, and 105F from a somewhat less endowed
Pentium D 2.6GHz dual core. Temps achieved loaded and tortured, both
with six-legged water pipes, properly so called for condensation
combined with "wicking" action. Both cases are reasonably large,
accommodating, as are the heatsinks, and overall well enough aerated
for budget purposes. Money alone never was a requisite or intent to a
moderately designed computer, by far acceptable in all ways, I should
say.
Old July 20th 13, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Desmond[_3_]

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 08:43:30 UTC+1, Desmond wrote:
It is so hot here this summer that my computer crashes when it gets hot. I was looking into water cooled pc cases. Is it safe to buy a kit. Also the prices vary from £199 to £1,400.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/WC...lue_35292.html

I am not sure about the options here. Do I NEED to pick one or can I just transfer mother board and other things into the case. Any help would be great.

Desmond.

It is nearly 30C in my room and I believe that the room temperature is to high. Yes I have got a good fan on my AMD 4200+ dual core processor. but if air is blown out the back of the case only to be replaced with warm air coming in I can't see a way around it.I have taken the fan off and blown the crap out that gets into it. Currently I have taken the side of the case and I have a desktop fan blowing into it. It seems to be OK that way.
I have a tall tower system 14U (24.5 inch) high. I have a fan at the top but the lead is not long enough to reach the connector on the main board. I do agree that better circulation is needed.

These water cooled cases are not cheep but I have heard that the temperature can be below 15C and you can even remove CPU fan but that sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Old July 20th 13, 02:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Desmond wrote:
[...]

The water cooler cannot go below ambient. It isn't a swamp
cooler, and does not rely on evaporation for cooling. It
just relies on ordinary heat transfer, into room ambient.

Those readings come from inaccurate temperature sensors.
The Intel built-in sensor for example, is accurate at high
temperatures (like one degree below the throttle point).
But the Intel sensor is pretty bad, at the low end. You
could probably manage a 15C reading on Intel, if the actual
temperature was 25C.

A water cooler still has to have a delta_T, as the thermal
resistance is not zero, and the power dissipated on the
CPU is finite. So the CPU should end up at a higher
temperature than ambient. To get some idea of the
performance, you want to run Prime95 or CPUBurn or the
like, dissipate max power, then check to see what
kind of delta_T results. And give time for any liquid
reservoir in the water cooling loop, to reach dynamic
equilibrium. That could take ten minutes or more.

If you wanted to try a water cooler, you don't need to use
a particular PC case. As long as you could route the two
hoses outside the computer case, you could mount the radiator
outside the case, rather than inside it. I've seen at
least one computer case, that had large grommet holes, for
passing a couple water cooling hoses out of the case. (The grommet
material, is to prevent the hoses from getting cut on the case
metal.)

You could also use a removed PCI slot cover for that purpose. Lots
of possibilities for roll your own solutions. But I'd prefer
to see some thermal performance numbers first, executed by
someone who knows how to test. Just to see if it's worth
$180 or $100 or whatever, for a kit.

Paul
Old July 20th 13, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

If you use compressed air, you don't need to take the fan off of
the CPU. Just blow around it in various ways (keeping the can
upright). I don't bother to take it outside, I just turn on
filtering devices like my vacuum cleaner and my filter fan with
them right next to the case.

Good luck and have fun.
Old July 20th 13, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

On 7/20/2013 9:05 AM, Desmond wrote:

It is nearly 30C in my room

Well, there's your problem right there. Get a cheap air conditioner.
Less hassle than rebuilding your PC.
Old July 20th 13, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 06:05:24 -0700 (PDT), Desmond
wrote:

It is nearly 30C in my room and I believe

that the room temperature is to high.
-

85F degrees is not too hot, nor is that explicit reason for a computer
to crash if the manufacturer rates the chip as safe somewhere around
twice that temperature. Needless to mention, earlier AMD chips, to
me, seemed more fault prone over 115F, although can't say I've noted
that aspect on this newer dual core AMD X2 4000 (paid $10US for the
chip off Ebay, actually). Processing video along with an added layer
of programming for simultaneous audio evinces tempertures consistantly
between 120F to 130F. The case is set to its side and laid
horizontally with a front panel fan. The other fan, I personally made
to also attach to a PS lead, is affixed to the upward-side's drilled
holes for venting. Since fans are the first failure points to PCs, I'd
as soon rather see them attached to a robust and replaceable PS, than
a MB header and what lesser voltage tolerance/supplies a MB is capable
of regulating;- OTH, a heatsink fan may be built better, and I do have
them, regardless, plugged into MB headers -- it's only until perhaps
some other time, when to splice them off into PS adaptor plugs. This
P4 dualcore is running 4 degree F higher than ambient room
temperature, or 24 degrees lower than my hottest hard drive, which is
over 10 years old. A brutish six-legged CPU cooler, stretching pretty
much the case width, cools it, at one generation below the newest,
heartier coolers of the same dimensions capable of handling 6 cores;-
some of the latter indeed do approach water-cooling costs, but my days
of needlessly chasing technology at higher costs are contentedly over,
as I've sufficient means on the middle ground to occupy.
Old July 20th 13, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo ,
Desmond escribió:

Currently I have taken the side of the case and I have a desktop
fan blowing into it. It seems to be OK that way.

I's suggest leaving it like that until the heatwave is over. it won't
be long and isn't worth the cost of a water cooling kit.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)