IBM T22 CMOS Battery Connector

Old March 18th 13, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default IBM T22 CMOS Battery Connector

I was given an IBM T22 laptop about 4-1/2 years ago and it has been gathering dust ever since.

I took it out and powered on, but there is a password set and so I decided to open it up and disconnect the main and back-up batteries following the instructions on page 60, 61, and 62 of the ThinkPad Computer Hardware Maintenance Manual PDF. (http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...f/62p9631.pdf).

After wiggling and pulling for 15 minutes the black ground wire broke loose from the connector. (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...s79b3fee3.jpg).

So even though it wasn't mentioned in that battery removal section I guess that I should have found a way to take the laptop apart further beforehand.

Can anyone tell me if the battery/holder/connector is replaceable?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old March 19th 13, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 16:45:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Virtually everything is replacable. Visit the web site and download a
service manual in PDF. It used to be on IBM's site back when they made
the T-series, but when I looked for the manual for my T-42, the
information had been moved to Lenovo's site.

A quick google gives me:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...df/62p9631.pdf

Old March 19th 13, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Charlie
Hoffpauir escribió:

Virtually everything is replacable. Visit the web site and download a
service manual in PDF. It used to be on IBM's site back when they made
the T-series, but when

Don't you just love it when people don't even read the post they're
replying to?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old March 19th 13, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_8_]

(
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...f/62p9631.pdf).

After wiggling and pulling for 15 minutes the black ground wire broke
loose from the connector.
(http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...s79b3fee3.jpg).

So even though it wasn't mentioned in that battery removal section I
guess that I should have found a way to take the laptop apart further
beforehand.

Can anyone tell me if the battery/holder/connector is replaceable?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I've got a T22 (fan not working), anyway I have replaced the CMOS battery.
The battery comes with a lead and the plug on the end.
Here are some pictures of said.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvvyaaiqjmctvjv/SppCt61_Dq?m

I'll have a look to see if I can recall where I bought the new
battery-with-lead, think it was only a couple of £ on ebay.

Old March 19th 13, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_8_]

Patrick wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Heres a link to ebay (USA) to showing the prices (in diddly-dollars)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bszv3gs

Old March 19th 13, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Patrick wrote:
Patrick wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's a battery with a "pig tail". They spot weld contacts onto
the CR2032, so it doesn't heat up too much, and attach leads to it.
On the other end, is some kind of standard, two pin connector (likely
with a metric pin spacing). You might find other battery products,
with the same style connector on the end. You would want to locate
the motherboard connector and verify it wasn't damaged at all, just
in case.

The battery is usually covered with a heat shrink (polyolefin) tubing,
to prevent the CR2032 from coming in contact with other conductors
inside the computer. For an Ebay vendor, that also allows them
to hide the brand of battery they actually included.

The connector on the end, could have a "positive retention" feature.
And that's why it wouldn't come loose with mere wiggling. You have
to look carefully at the connector, to see if there is something
that needs to be pressed or tugged on, to release the connector.
(I have a connector like that, positive retention, for my car tail lights,
and it's a bear to get apart. My car trunk is full of swear words now.)
Positive retention prevents the connector from falling off on its own.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1-IBM-Thinkpad-T20-T21-T22-T23-T30-CMOS-Battery-02k6541-/02/!B(HDLKgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl9odTBK,oBLuolQ~~_12.JPG

Paul
Old March 19th 13, 10:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_8_]

Paul wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Patrick wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hello Paul, I am not the OP !!

Old March 20th 13, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Monday, March 18, 2013 9:42:46 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
Patrick wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Now all I have to do if hope enough of the laptop comes apart so I can get to that connector when I take out all the screws in the bottom.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.