Laptop battery

Old July 27th 11, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Corvet

Default Laptop battery

How better manage laptop battery for better conditions and battery long
life: if I work at home near outlet, should I use Power Supply constantly
plugged in? Or I should fully charge battery, then disconnect Power supply
and work from battery?

Regards

Old July 27th 11, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Corvet" wrote in message
How better manage laptop battery for better conditions and battery long
life: if I work at home near outlet, should I use Power Supply constantly
plugged in? Or I should fully charge battery, then disconnect Power supply
and work from battery?

Regards

If a battery is being stored away from the PC for a while, then it is
recommended that you charge it to 40% and keep it sealed in a cool place.

If a battery is being used regularly, then there are mixed views on the best
way of extending their life. Some say that when working from mains power,
the battery should be removed from the laptop, others say to leave it alone.
I have had a Dell 6400 for 7 years now. The first battery died within 18
months - I never removed it from the laptop and used the laptop on a mix of
mains and battery, occasionally completely flatenning the battery. I
replaced the battery with a new one from eBay and it is still going strong
with exactly the same usage pattern as the first.

I guess there is a mix of qualities out there with laptop batteries and not
matter how well you treat a duff one, it will fail and no matter what you do
with a good one, it keeps going!

Old July 27th 11, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Corvet

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

----------------------
Battery is inside laptop and used regularly; but when battery is fully
charged and Power Supply cable isn't unplugged, does the battery still
continue charging?(overcharged) The Del vostro 1520 power supply strongly
heats after some time (1-1.5 hour), is it normal?
There is no built-in mechanism that atomatically switch between battery and
Power Supply, when battery is fully charged it switch to battery and if not,
it switch to power supply?

Old July 28th 11, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

If the laptop is on and plugged in to the mains, the laptop will draw power
from the mains supply and will not use the battery.

The battery will charge whenever the mains power is switched on - it doesn't
matter if the laptop is switched on or not, the battery will still charge.
When the battery is full, the charging will stop.

The power supply adapter will get warm/hot whenever it is being used - this
is when it is charging the battery, running the laptop, or both. If the
laptop is off, then the battery will charge for a while and when the battery
is full, it will not require mains power any more and the power supply
should cool down again.

Some power adapters get hotter than others.

Old July 28th 11, 12:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 7/28/2011 2:31 AM, GT wrote:
If the laptop is on and plugged in to the mains, the laptop will draw power
from the mains supply and will not use the battery.

Unless the battery is low..

- it doesn't
matter if the laptop is switched on or not, the battery will still charge.
When the battery is full, the charging will stop.

Not always, and all rechargeable batteries have some level of
self-discharge. Every so often, it will drop enough to trigger the charger.

Many chargers never fully "stop", they still put out a trickle charge.

Good rule is to never leave an unused laptop on the charger more that a
few days, a week at most, and (try to) use up at least 3/4 of the charge
before you recharge it.

The power supply adapter will get warm/hot whenever it is being used - this
is when it is charging the battery, running the laptop, or both. If the
laptop is off, then the battery will charge for a while and when the battery
is full, it will not require mains power any more and the power supply
should cool down again.

Some power adapters get hotter than others.

As in starting fires.. I think every major laptop manufacturer has had
at least one recall due to that.

Technology has improved both chargers and batteries vastly, but the
amount of time we use laptops has increased heavily as well... so it's
about a wash.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old July 28th 11, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Corvet

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

-------------
Most of time, I use laptop powered by mains via power supply, so battery
inside will be always fully charged(100%), which will significantly reduce
battery life. What is workaround, how to keep battery charged, say 70%?
Would be better to remove battery from laptop and store it separately?

Thanks,

Old July 29th 11, 09:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

You have 3 options:
1. Remove the battery from the laptop and store it in a cool place. This
will make sure the battery lives for the longest time.
2. Leave the battery in the laptop and hope that it is a good one (mine has
been like that for 5 years now and still holds a full charge)
3. Forget about the battery because you don't use it anyway - just leave it
in and your laptop will survive a power cut!

Old July 29th 11, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Corvet

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

--------------

I read some laptops have feature to switch from battery to power adapter,
without removing battery from case.

thanks.

Old July 31st 11, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message

"GT" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Corvet" wrote in message
[...]

As I said, I think that if the laptop is plugged in to the mains, it will
use mains power and won't use the battery at all.

Old July 31st 11, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/31/2011 6:13 AM, GT wrote:
snip...
I read some laptops have feature to switch from battery to power adapter,
without removing battery from case.

As I said, I think that if the laptop is plugged in to the mains, it will
use mains power and won't use the battery at all.

That is correct. With a well-designed properly-functioning the battery and
charging circuit will charge if it needs to and will stop charging when it
is full. If the mains adapter is connected then it will provide power to
the computer -- there is no 'switch' involved.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that laptop batteries are made
removable for a reason -- they are expendable items. I've owned battery-run
computers ranging from a 286 machine which used a bank of D-sized nicad
cells that weighed about as much as a bowling ball, through every
technology down to the lithium cells in my current HP. The one common
feature to each of them is that they all will go bad eventually -- the
modern ones are simply much easier to manage than the old.

I leave my laptop plugged in most of the time and let is sleep as it wishes
so that it can automatically back itself up to the server every night. The
battery life seems to be pretty much the same after three+ years of being
used this way so I assume that HP got the charging circuit right in this
model. But when the battery does weaken and doesn't provide sufficient life
for the rare times I need to use it on the road then I'll simply buy a new
one and smile to myself as I think of the amount of time I've saved over
the years by not obsessing over care of the battery.

Laptop Charger | Power Supply | Laptop Batteries | Laptop Battery |Laptop Accessories leena ren Dell Computers 6 November 2nd 10 03:58 AM
Laptop Battery Wayne Brownlee Dell Computers 5 April 5th 10 01:35 PM
Laptop Battery-OT??? pheasant Homebuilt PC's 5 October 27th 07 12:32 PM
laptop battery Dave General 2 August 14th 06 06:08 PM
Rebuilding Notebook Battery. For Toshiba Laptop 4100XDVD battery part #PA2487U Chris Homebuilt PC's 0 February 21st 04 06:48 AM