"Lifetime Warranty" for Canon print heads?

Old January 24th 07, 05:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default "Lifetime Warranty" for Canon print heads?

I just bought a new computer and at some point plan to upgrade it to the
about-to-arrive Windows Vista. It appeaars that my present Lexmark Z65
won't have a Vista driver written for it so I'm shopping for a printer I
can get a great deal on with the computer purchase.

What seems to be on offer is the Canon MP-160 ($45 after rebate on printer
and extra black and color carts) and Canon MP-600 ($150 after rebate on
printer and 2 black carts). The MP-600 is touted as having much better
print quality, does have seperate ink tanks...and the clerk claims that
Canon provides a "lifetime warranty" on their print heads.

Say what? There's been quite a bit of comment on these pages about the
durability and availability of Canon print heads. If I get it right, one
will last for 4-6 ink tank changes (about 2 years) and then will be very
difficult to locate when I need one. I never saw any claim that Canon
would replace one that has had a fair amount of use.

Maybe I should just buy the cheaper MP-160 to use as a utility printer and
replace it when I get tired of what it can or can't do.

Brendan
Old January 24th 07, 03:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al Bundy

On Jan 23, 11:38 pm, (Brendan R. Wehrung)
wrote:
[...]

I can't say what the more modern Canon printheads will do. However, I
have refilled my tanks on Canons dozens of times without print head
failure. Life seems to be quite variable. A printhead can quit at any
time so a lifetime guarantee is nice. Canon service has been good to
me. I complained once about print quality and they sent me all new
heads and carts for free on a printer I got for free counting the
rebate from Staples.

Old January 25th 07, 06:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

wrote:
[...]

When you buy a Canon "print head" you actually get several of them ganged
together? I guess that would make sense.

Brendan
Old January 25th 07, 06:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

wrote:
[...]

Another question: I had a talk with Canon tech support today and he
mentioned that a "deep clean" was necessary once in a while to keep the
head from clogging. what's that and how much work is it?

Brendan
Old January 25th 07, 08:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
George E. Cawthon

wrote:
[...]

Deep Cleaning is just one of the selections in
printer software for maintenance. I think many
people would argue with what the tech said.
Whether you need to do any cleaning largely
depends on how you use the printer. I use mine
fairly lightly and have used light cleaning only
once and that was more or less just see if it made
any difference.
Old January 25th 07, 04:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dan G

The driver automatically does a clean cycle every so-many pages. Also every
time you replace a tank it does a clean cycle.

Old January 25th 07, 07:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

wrote:

[...]

I have a Canon IP4000. I have always used Canon ink for obvious
reasons. I NEVER have done a deep cleaning (nor any cleaning) and NEVER
have had a problem in over two and a half years.
Old January 26th 07, 04:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brendan R. Wehrung

"Dan G" ) writes:
The driver automatically does a clean cycle every so-many pages. Also every
time you replace a tank it does a clean cycle.

Does the cycle consume a lot of ink? I remember complaints about Canons for
that, but it was a long time ago.

Brendan