Getting new SATA drive to show up

Old December 1st 06, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

Default Getting new SATA drive to show up

Alright, background info:

- Motherboard is Asus P4P800-E Deluxe running the latest BIOS. This
motherboard supports SATA but not SATA2. Drive is plugged into SATA1.
- I heard this drive came jumpered to SATA1 by default, however, no
jumper was supplied I stole one from my brother's computer to test
in the meanwhile, and jumpered the hard drive to SATA1 (where the hell
do I get just a jumper? Why didn't it come with??)
- OS is Windows XP SP2
- Currently running an old IDE drive as master drive, though I
ultimately intend on having the new drive run the OS and whatnot, with
the old IDE as storage/backup.

The BIOS recognizes the hard drive as "Third IDE Master", behind the
old drive and the DVD drive. Is this normal?

Windows simply prompts some Found New Hardware dialogs, which soon
displays:
"There was a problem installing this hardwa IDE channel.
An error occurred during the installation of the device
Driver is not intended for this platform."

Drive does not show up in Windows at all. Help appreciated..

Old December 1st 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Cronzor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alright, background info:

- Motherboard is Asus P4P800-E Deluxe running the latest BIOS. This
motherboard supports SATA but not SATA2. Drive is plugged into SATA1.
- I heard this drive came jumpered to SATA1 by default, however, no
jumper was supplied I stole one from my brother's computer to test
in the meanwhile, and jumpered the hard drive to SATA1 (where the hell
do I get just a jumper? Why didn't it come with??)
- OS is Windows XP SP2
- Currently running an old IDE drive as master drive, though I
ultimately intend on having the new drive run the OS and whatnot, with
the old IDE as storage/backup.

Did the OS 'start' out as XP SP2 or was it updated 'to' SP2? I ask because
twice now I have seen an 'updated'(- sata drivers) XP SP2 install NOT see
new sata untill the sata drivers were installed.

Old December 1st 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

Yep, updated to SP2 from plain ol' XP.

Old December 2nd 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

Cronzor wrote:
Yep, updated to SP2 from plain ol' XP.

Where can I get the drivers and how can I go about installing them?

Would the "Promise" drivers be what I'm looking for here?

Old December 2nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Cronzor" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cronzor wrote:
Yep, updated to SP2 from plain ol' XP.

Where can I get the drivers and how can I go about installing them?

Would the "Promise" drivers be what I'm looking for here?

your motherboard drivers disk motherboard manufactures web site
controller website
what is happening in the device manager when the drive is hooked up?

Old December 2nd 06, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

JAD wrote:
"Cronzor" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cronzor wrote:
Yep, updated to SP2 from plain ol' XP.

Where can I get the drivers and how can I go about installing them?

Would the "Promise" drivers be what I'm looking for here?

your motherboard drivers disk motherboard manufactures web site
controller website
what is happening in the device manager when the drive is hooked up?

An IDE Controller that isn't installed properly shows up.Yellow symbol.

Old December 2nd 06, 07:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Cronzor" wrote in message
oups.com...

JAD wrote:
"Cronzor" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cronzor wrote:
Yep, updated to SP2 from plain ol' XP.

Where can I get the drivers and how can I go about installing them?

Would the "Promise" drivers be what I'm looking for here?

your motherboard drivers disk motherboard manufactures web site
controller website
what is happening in the device manager when the drive is hooked up?

An IDE Controller that isn't installed properly shows up.Yellow symbol.

thats the driver that needs to be updated. I have had luck by using the
device manager to 'update ' the driver and let it search the web/MS.
otherwise you need to get the driver from the mainboard manufacturer

Good luck

Old December 2nd 06, 10:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

Is it weird that it wants me to install an IDE controller for this SATA
drive? Or that the mobo detects it as the third IDE master?

Is an IDE controller really what I need to be installing?

Old December 2nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

have you tried what I have explained? if not please do so.

oups.com...

Old December 4th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Cronzor

The "IDE Controller" in the device manager doesn't accept the drivers
on the floppy.

I tried booting to Windows Setup and pushing F6 then using the drivers
on the floppy and it seemed to work in detecting the drive (for setup
purposes only)..It did, however, keep my IDE drive as C:\ in the
partition list, so I aborted the installation for the time being.

My BIOS settings were to disable the IDE drive, so I have no idea why
Windows Setup had it listed there.

If I unplug the IDE drive and try that again would it see the SATA
drive as C:\?
Then replug the IDE to make it D:\?
Is there someplace I need to specify that the IDE shouldn't be first?
Normally I'd go through the whole master/slave thing but SATAs don't
have that..

Thanks for continued help.