Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Old October 1st 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

Default Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

Thank you.
Old October 1st 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"John Doe" wrote in message

Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

Thank you.

Mobo boxes are factory sealed. It is Customs who open them to take a quick
peek inside the box.

Old October 2nd 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
old man

Strange, all my mobo boxes have been supplied sealed.
You dont really think Customs are going to open every box in a container do
you?
(unless you're in France, which youre not)

Old October 2nd 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

Depending on the stores, some have the gear to reseal the boxes so you think
you are getting brand new stock. Some don't bother because you get your
warranty anyhow. Then we have the stores that have a couple of techs out the
back and when you take a suspect CPU in for warranty they will take the
matching board out of a new box for testing purposes and when finished they
will pop it back in the box and put it back on the shelf to be sold. It also
depends what country you are in as to if you have a thorough Customs service
or not.
Bottom line is who gives a rats arse if the box is open or not? Being sealed
proves nothing simply because you have no idea just who sealed it.

Old October 2nd 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clint

Some companies may make sure the BIOS is flashed to the latest version,
which is a good thing.

Personally, I think that unless the company has a good reason why your
product isn't sealed, it would be unacceptable to purchase new equipment
that's not. Otherwise you could be getting someone else's RMA'd product.
They should have their own test boards for service work, and they shouldn't
be selling equipment that's been out a customer's sites already.
Considering many companies charge a restocking fee anyway, you should be
getting a price discount for taking someone else's reject.

Clint

Old October 2nd 06, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Angry American

I purchase ASUS products from tier one providers. And I can say without
exception that all ASUS items come with no seals on the boxes. No shrink
wrap either. These are retail packages, not OEM. I would venture to guess
that if you do get ASUS product with a seal, it's either put on by the
warehouse or by the shop you purchased it from.

Dan

Old October 2nd 06, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"Clint" said
Some companies may make sure the BIOS is flashed to the latest version,
which is a good thing.

Personally, I think that unless the company has a good reason why your
product isn't sealed, it would be unacceptable to purchase new equipment
that's not. Otherwise you could be getting someone else's RMA'd product.
They should have their own test boards for service work, and they

shouldn't
be selling equipment that's been out a customer's sites already.
Considering many companies charge a restocking fee anyway, you should be
getting a price discount for taking someone else's reject.

Clint

I don't know how long your stock is on the shelf for so the factory bios
gets to be out of date. Maybe it is because we are so close to Asia but ASUS
boards bought here come with the latest bios. As an aside I reckon if your
store has to go to the trouble of flashing a bios before selling you a
motherboard you can bet your nuts you are paying for it somehow.
I like your quaint theory on returned products though. They are just
repacked and sent out again after passing a quick boot up test. The other
thing about dealers opening the boxes to put their warranty stickers on them
is a bit of a crock too. My favourite computer spare parts shop records the
boards serial number on your reciept as that is the only true way you can
keep track of a board. I don't know about other brands of boards as I only
use ASUS but all ASUS boards and their boxes come with easily readable
serial numbers. I have watched returned new sticks of ram exchanged because
the buyer reckond it wouldn't work in his board. This ram is tested and if
ok goes back into the shelf ram boxes. I think you blokes really need to
hang around your favourite computer store a bit more to see what really goes
on there with computer parts.
As I said previously, a sealed box proves nothing.

Old October 2nd 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Nigel Brooks

"Venom" wrote in message
[...]

Thoroughness has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a Customs
Service decides to inspect an individual box.

Customs examinations are mostly based on intelligence. A container of
motherboards or other merchandise from an established vendor is not going to
be inspected. A sample might be taken from the container to determine
whether or not the sample is as described for duty purposes. But it is
certainly not the case that Customs opens every single item that enters a
Customs territory.

More likely, a box is unsealed because it was a return

--
Nigel Brooks

Old October 2nd 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

"John Doe" wrote in message

Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

Thank you.

They are not "opened". They were never shrink wrapped to begin with.

Wal-Mart has started a new program to get suppliers to reduce the amount of
packaging for products they sell. They have estimated that it will save them
tens of Billions of dollars per year, a significant portion of which will be
reduction in energy usage for shipping and the energy needed to make the
packaging. Maybe you didn't know it, but plastic (including shrink-wrap)
comes from oil.

In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes with no
packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias. If
you deal with a reputable manufacturer and a reputable retailer, you have
nothing to worry about.

Old October 2nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

"Nigel Brooks" wrote in message

More likely, a box is unsealed because it was a return

No. Asus does not shrink-wrap or otherwise seal their MB boxes.

Most likely the MBs get shipped from China (yes I know Asus is headquartered
in Taiwan) in bulk, and they put in boxes once the get to the USA. This
saves on shipping costs.