kaspersky rescue disk

Old June 3rd 18, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default kaspersky rescue disk

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 21:58:43 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 19:20:00 -0400, John B. Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2018 11:44:05 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2018 16:25:54 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2018 19:57:39 -0400, John B. Smith
wrote:

maybe there was something wrong with the Rescue 10 iso I downloaded
twice. I'll try downloading it again in a week or so, see if anything
has improved.

Check the MD5 after downloading. Though MD5 is relatively easy
to forge:

https://support.kaspersky.com/4162

They ought to supply SHA 256 or SHA512 as well as the MD5.
Strange for a firm that is supposed to be proficient in security.

Hum, the MD5 link came up 404. Never done that before.

Weird.
The last ISO I downloaded (a couple of days ago) has the
following checksums:

MD5: 9F617FD4573CAAC2DEFC69017DB4234C
SHA-1: D7B6B15E1DBA821E89A439B962357214DADF0995
SHA-256:
DBDA178E1CD89DBC47E8B7304A1AF5B9F52B7D8BC8DA7DD 25FAC080E8C60E4CE

Anyone confirm those numbers ?

Could you tell me how you obtain these check sums?

Sure

http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

At the bottom of the page, you'll see the installer for XP.
Install, then right click on any file, look at "properties",
then "file hashes".
If you right click inside that window, you can choose the ones
you want displayed (I use MD5, SHA1 and SHA256) in "settings".

The more recent ISO will have different hashes, but the ones
above will probably match the one you downloaded.

I'm kinda confused as I suspect you guys are talking Linux at times
but I"m not sure. I only have XP.

When you boot from the Rescue Disk, you are booting into
Linux. Which is good, because you can scan for rootkits which might be
hidden if you scanned from a running Windows system.

I successfully made a bootable USB drive with the krb.iso using Rufus
and the dd option. I sure didn't take an hour to run the kaspersky
scan after I booted it. More like a minute.. Is there a way to look
inside the iso to see if the virus definitions are there?

Probably because you didn't scan your whole hard drive (look
at the scan settings). By default, Kaspersky Rescue Disk only looks at
boot sectors, system files and your startup programs.

Bingo . That's what I've been missing. It's necessary to check 'system
drive' to get a full scan. I wonder why they made such a crazy
default? I certainly don't go to all this trouble to check just the
boot sectors, system files and startups.
I d/l'd the latest krd.iso and burned it to a cd with ImgBurn, the way
I always used to do rescue10 until I learned how to put it on a usb
drive and stop wasting cds. It booted ok, looked a little different
from what booted from my rufus dd created usb drive. But the trick
was, as you point out, I didn't have the 'system drive' checked in the
scan settings. Looks like there was 7 scans, 705,498 objects, and 15
problems found. Which i quarantined, can't wait to find out what I
screwed up. Next time I dl a new krd file I'll rufus it onto a usb
drive again and try it that way with the correct scan setting, see if
it works.

Thanks a lot guys for the interesting info. I'll be playing around
with the stuff in my spare time.

It might look at
browser extensions, and programs listed in prefetch too, but I'm not
sure. That only takes a few minutes. Ah, and it checks your hosts
file, and it said mine was "infected". False positive.
To scan a million files, it took just over an hour, but I have
an 8 core CPU. On my old PC, I'd leave it scanning overnight.
HTH
PS The bad thing is you cannot not save a readable log file.
The old version did.
[]'s