Laptop Keyboard

Old October 5th 17, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
cropduster

Default Laptop Keyboard

I have this Lenovo T61p (actually two of them) which I pulled out of the
trash. Put in a HD and 3GB RAM and Linux Mint and it works pretty well,
except that the 'h' key doesn't respond unless I really jackhammer it, and
then I copy/paste it into gedit (Linux notepad) for further use.

I figured it was the keyboard, then last week what appears in the trash but
a T60! Same keyboard, so I swapped it. Still has the nonresponsive 'h'.

What are the chances that I would get two bad keyboards - with the same bad
key - in a row, or could the problem lie elsewhere, like in the
motherboard?

Thanks
Old October 5th 17, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

cropduster wrote:

I have this Lenovo T61p (actually two of them) which I pulled out of the
trash. Put in a HD and 3GB RAM and Linux Mint and it works pretty well,
except that the 'h' key doesn't respond unless I really jackhammer it, and
then I copy/paste it into gedit (Linux notepad) for further use.

I figured it was the keyboard, then last week what appears in the trash but
a T60! Same keyboard, so I swapped it. Still has the nonresponsive 'h'.

What are the chances that I would get two bad keyboards - with the same bad
key - in a row, or could the problem lie elsewhere, like in the
motherboard?

The keyboard generates scan (binary) codes, one for keypress and another
for key release, that get interpreted by a controller chip. Looks like
a bad component on the motherboard.

Of course, if you retrieve both out of the same trash can, likely the
same person threw both away, the same person that has been abusive to
both laptops and perhaps in the same way. Trash due to abuse from the
same source (person) could result in the same type of damage. Go
hunting in trash cans farther away to rummage through.

I haven't look at the design of those laptops. External keyboards, like
what you use with a desktop, have a 8042 chip or something equivalent to
interpret the matrix closures and opens of the key switches to generate
the scan codes. I don't know that the tight space of a laptop would
permit separate component circuitry as within a desktop keyboard. The
keyboard controller is likely on the mobo or embedded in another
component.

aside
Oh, by the way, rummaging through someone's trash (aka dumpster diving)
may be illegal in your area. It is still THEIR property until picked up
by the trash collection agency they employed (who they pay even if a fee
included in their utilities). You are stealing their property unless
you ask permission or the trash container has been moved and positioned
on public property, like a curb; however, some trash containers are at
the edge of the owner's property but still on it to be within reach of
the hauler's truck arm or accessible from the curb). A trash container
that is still on the owner's property is still considered their property
and they are still allowed to recover the contents (what, never realized
you threw away something that you still need?). Taking from a trash
container still on the owner's property by other than the designated
hauler could result in a charge of trespassing or theft or both. "At
the curb" still requires "off the owner's property", not "near the curb
but still on owner's property". I don't know of any haulers that will
collect the container but then let you dig through it without a search
warrant or, at least, a badge.

We've had problems with dumpster divers, like they make a mess. We may
tightly pack the trash cart but their digging has them remove and
randomnly dump the stuff back in and when it doesn't fit they just leave
it strewn around the cart (assuming they even put the stuff they pulled
out back into the cart). They are also taking our property that then
makes it unrecoverable before collection. I've had a couple garbage
pickers ask why we don't want them digging in our trash carts. I don't
give a definitive answer and I don't have to. It is not their property
within and it is not on public property. I just tell them to stay out
of the trash while the carts are on my property along with mention for
them cease trespassing. Stay out!
/aside
Old October 5th 17, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 04 Oct 2017 23:34:34 GMT, cropduster
wrote:

I have this Lenovo T61p (actually two of them) which I pulled out of the
trash. Put in a HD and 3GB RAM and Linux Mint and it works pretty well,
except that the 'h' key doesn't respond unless I really jackhammer it, and
then I copy/paste it into gedit (Linux notepad) for further use.

I figured it was the keyboard, then last week what appears in the trash but
a T60! Same keyboard, so I swapped it. Still has the nonresponsive 'h'.

What are the chances that I would get two bad keyboards - with the same bad
key - in a row, or could the problem lie elsewhere, like in the
motherboard?

Thanks

Slim chances, I'd say;- an -h isn't even on the primary fingertip key
rests, but adjacent. You can look up the IBM way of things, vis-Ã*-vis
spec'd to a Chinese Leno, for the mechanics present in its membrane
sensors, although doubt it'll readily lend itself to any bright ideas
on how to pry up the key connections for actually working on contacts.

Meanwhile, a USB keyboard is indicated. Which, of course, is highly
unlikely to scan other than correctly for an -H, along with the
presence of the rest of the keys. Lenovodio obviously isn't the biz
of putting out computers with stuck keys. No such luck with that
hypothesis -- or such shenanigans being on the MB.

That's your lumps, which goes along with the territory of owning a
laptop. I mean people do actually work on them, although, at least
for me, I as soon change out a watch battery, than open up a laptop
for serious core-componentry repair work;- too many things like
connectivity ribbons, threaded like spider webs, for my liking.

Not to disparage a spirit of Lucky Dumpster Diving Day, (I've been
there, around recycling points, and seen no less mountains of working
hardware relegated for exchange during updates), but a nifty little
USB keyboard may be in order. At least you haven't a bad display,
which may be logically adjusted, similarly, to an external video
output, and another monitor, as is the usual to provisions.

Heh - they could have done it on purpose, hammered the -H with a
punch;- inanity on goes so far with people, roundabout or not to
exclude a tendency, [in]sensibly to exhibit a manner, variously, prior
to tossing just any working $500+ laptop(s) into the dumpster. No
doubt impervious from magnanimous profits to bother and donate it to a
church, the Salvation Army, or an educational advancement centre.