Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438

Old March 24th 17, 08:13 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Andy Burns[_6_]

Default Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438

Buffalo wrote:

It took me almost an hour to dl the last update and I have a fast
connection, over 200mbs. Why? Because it wouldn't dl all at once. It
would stick at different percentages for a long time.

Same here, I have ~80Mbps, two attempts stuck at various percentages and
eventually failed, another one failed because I got impatient and
rebooted, for the fourth attempt I left the machine alone for an hour
with nothing running and it managed to install.

Old March 24th 17, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 02:58:45 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

So what does a gig download take you time wise char

That's a straightforward math question, Andy. You can calculate the best
possible scenario, but in reality many sites are unwilling to serve up a
file for download at 300Mbps, so to get there you have to open multiple
concurrent connections.

So best case, how long should a gig take at 300 Megs a second? Show your
work, and watch for bits versus bytes.

Old March 24th 17, 11:23 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul[_28_]

Andy wrote:
I asked what you got for speed as a question char not what i get

A metric that is easy to understand, is to post a Speedtest.net result.

For example, mine is 15/1, and that's exactly what I pay for.

It wasn't always like that. My first ISP sold 5mbit ADSL, and
delivered 3mbit, mumbling excuses about SNR (which weren't
actually true) as the reason for their clumsy "traffic shaping".

*******

When you download from a server, the server may not max the link
with a single connection. If I download a Linux LiveCD from uWaterloo,
it might only use 1/3rd of my link. If I were to quote that
number, it would be embarrassing.

If you select your server well (use a Microsoft server, use
a download client opening 20 connections), you can get
tremendous source bandwidth. But, the result isn't
going to go faster than Speedtest.net results.

So just running Speedtest.net for 30 seconds or whatever,
is sufficient for "boasting purposes".

Servers vary, in terms of individual connection caps,
and the number of simultaneous connections they will allow.
For example, I was downloading some SDK from Microsoft, maybe
8GB in size, and Firefox said "24 hours remaining". That's probably
the slowest download I've ever been offered from Microsoft. I attempted
multiple times, to break and make the connection again, and could not
improve the rate. However, after I acquired a download client that
could open multiple connections, I did the math, figured out I needed
8 connections, and then the (double-sided) DVD downloaded in three hours,
instead of twenty four hours.

To make "rate-boasting" fair, it should be done with a
reproducible test case. And Speedtest.net is good enough,
considering the amount of time/effort these boasts are worth.

Paul
Old March 24th 17, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default Win 10 giga-update: KB 4013429 vs KB 4015438 vs 4016635

On 24/03/2017 12:09 AM, Paul wrote:

You should be relying on Windows to do these,
not fooling around with catalog.update.microsoft.com .

Micro$oft called it "Update Rollup".

Manual installation of patches and updates is still useful when you need
to reinstall your Win 10 in order to flush the system of junk.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old March 24th 17, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 05:48:55 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I asked what you got for speed as a question char not what i get

And I suggested that you can work it out mathematically.

Old March 24th 17, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 24/03/2017 12:09 AM, Paul wrote:

You should be relying on Windows to do these,
not fooling around with catalog.update.microsoft.com .

Micro$oft called it "Update Rollup".

Manual installation of patches and updates is still useful when you need
to reinstall your Win 10 in order to flush the system of junk.

I used WSUSOffline, to check out the offerings for Windows 10.

There is one big file per OS version, in the catalog.
In this example, as you noted in your subject line,
the 1GB update keeps being superseded by a later
1GB update. It appears the wsusscn2.cab file is not
updated with the last two supersedes.

https://s12.postimg.org/5dj5xqih9/win10_keepers.gif

You really only need to download a single 1GB file today,
to use for patching the OS. But be aware, that to attain
later updates, there will be an incremental download for
the purpose (as determined by the Delta Updater).

So yes, you can download a single 1GB file, but knowing
that it is never "the end of the update story".

Paul