Cisco-Linksys (lack of important details)

Old March 19th 17, 11:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Cisco-Linksys (lack of important details)

I have a Linksys network switch, but lost the power supply.
I have a box of 12 V DC power supplies, hoping one would fit, but on
the body of the switch the polarity is not indicated. The product
manual only shows voltage and current required, not polarity.
Pitiful to omit such basic info.
So I search eBay for 20 minutes, found a power supply that is compatible,
then find out polarity for that.
Old March 19th 17, 12:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I have a Linksys network switch, but lost the power supply.
I have a box of 12 V DC power supplies, hoping one would fit, but on
the body of the switch the polarity is not indicated. The product
manual only shows voltage and current required, not polarity.
Pitiful to omit such basic info.
So I search eBay for 20 minutes, found a power supply that is compatible,
then find out polarity for that.

You can check for screws in the "feet" of the unit, take it
apart and examine the PCB. The casing will probably be hinged
on one edge. Perhaps some capacitors next to the
power entry point, have polarity markings.

Adapters with barrel connectors, come in three kinds. AC,
regulated DC, and unregulated DC. The latter are the larger
transformer-type units. However, when there is a case marking,
there appears to be no standard way of saying whether the
power is regulated or unregulated. On the unregulated ones,
the voltage rises when the unit is quiet, and drops to the
specified level, when things like motors are operating. My
label printer, operates on D cells, or, it can use an unregulated
supply. When I connected a regulated supply, it didn't print.
Only the unregulated supply worked.

Paul