Questions about networking

Old January 4th 16, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Questions about networking

Freejazz wrote on 2016/01/04:

Hi, i have this scenario. Router Tplink TD8980 and Netgear
Powerline with Wifi in another room. Then i have one camera
connected via ethernet directly to router (Tenvis Hd brand) and
another camera (Foscam brand) connected via wifi.
The powerline is configurated with the same SSID of router to have
automatically connections both access point yo get the strongest
signal where you are in house.
I have two questions.

1) Do you know if you can see the station list connected to router
(dhcp disabled)?
I searched a lot but I didn't find it.

http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TD-W8980_V1_UG.pdf
page 41 (of the manual, not the page index in the PDF viewer)
Section 4.6.2

Even if you have DHCP disabled in the router, does it not still list the
currently connected clients? If not, you may be stuck having to use the
router's statistics (page 102, section 4.21.10) to see what clients were
using the router (if the client doesn't send any network traffic then
you won't see it in this list).

Just because you configure your hosts to use static IP addresses does
NOT require that you disable DHCP in the router. A host with a static
IP address would simply not issue a DHCP request to get a dynamic IP
address. I have hosts where some are configured to use static IP
addresses and some obtain dynamic IP addresses from the router's DHCP
server. Having the DCHP server enabled in the router does not obviate
me from using static IP addresses for my hosts.

2) Why if I try to connect the Foscam's ip (with right port) i
don't receive answer?
But if I try to connect the Tenvis' ip is ok?

Does the Foscam allow you to configure it for a static IP address? It
may only expect to obtain a dynamic IP address from the first upstream
DHCP server it finds. With no upstream DHCP server to find (within the
same network segment), the device cannot obtain an IP address.

If you don't have the user manual for the Foscam then see if they
(http://foscam.us/) have an online copy of the manual. It may indicate
if it can be configured for a static IP address; however, you'll still
need to know what default IP address the device uses so you can connect
to its internal web server to access its config screens. There are a
lot of devices at http://foscam.us/tools-support.html/#usermanual so
there's no point for me to waste time reviewing them all to see which
ones state they can use a [default] static IP address.

I looked at the FBM3502's manual. No mention of IP address. Although
it is wireless, it is only to the handheld control/display unit. It is
not a network-able device.

Again, you only mentioned a brand (Tenvis) for your other camera. When
I visited tenvis.com, they are overt in mentioning the provide *IP*
cameras. Those are network-able. The Foscam (for the model that I
looked at) is designed to be wireless but not used on a network. You
use the handheld remote (just like a TV remote) to see what that camera
sees. The Tenvis can be used on a network. One was designed for
simplicity in use but has a limited range for wireless transmission
between camera and remote control. The other was designed for worldwide
access via networking but you will need to provide your own "remote" (as
in connecting the desktop, laptop, or smartphone to a network or to the
Internet).
Old April 8th 17, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
freejazz

--
'Za Fo'!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old April 8th 17, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
freejazz

VanguardLH ha scritto:

Thank you for your reply!!!

[...]

I don't remember why i disabled the dhcp, maybe for port
forwarding...but maybe also I could set with dhcp
enabled.
As you can see on this pictu
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5eyftgt05...02655.jpg?dl=0
The list is empty.
When I load the page for Client List i had camera connected via
ethernet and another camera, minipc amd smartphone connected to
powerline.

Does the Foscam allow you to configure it for a static IP address? It
may only expect to obtain a dynamic IP address from the first upstream
DHCP server it finds. With no upstream DHCP server to find (within the
same network segment), the device cannot obtain an IP address.

If you don't have the user manual for the Foscam then see if they
(http://foscam.us/) have an online copy of the manual. It may indicate
if it can be configured for a static IP address; however, you'll still
need to know what default IP address the device uses so you can connect
to its internal web server to access its config screens. There are a
lot of devices at http://foscam.us/tools-support.html/#usermanual so
there's no point for me to waste time reviewing them all to see which
ones state they can use a [default] static IP address.

[CUT]

Your informations were very interesting even if they have been too
technicals. .
But my issue concerns that the Foscam is already setted and i can
reach it via Tiny Cam, the app for smartphone and I setted ip and
all things...but strangely i can't reach the camera via web...and
I don't know why...

--
'Za Fo'!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----