IBM T22 CMOS Battery Connector

Old August 4th 13, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default IBM T22 CMOS Battery Connector

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:56:54 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
Heres a few pictures that might be usefull and that you may not have seen!

(Like the one where the 'mask' is used to protect rest of the PCB (like

doing medical-surgery ))

.

The problem now is that it is the 14 pin chip. I'm not sure what size

wire I should be using, but I have tons of 18 and 20 gauge, which are

obviously too large. Not to mention my lately unsteady hands.

(If small wire is not sold at Radio Shack I have a problem).

On the forum where it is discussed, the best idea seemed to be to connect

the Gnd wire to the VGA screw, and then to solder needles to the other two

wires from the interface and use them as probes to the IC until the program

has finished. (assistant needed to press 'Enter' etc.,)

I didn't see what pics you were referring to, but the instructions on how to do this assume that you know what is and how to use a command prompt, so I have to figure that out and following these instructions:

"Fire up a command promt(Start-run type cmd) and navigate to the folder where you installed R24RF08 v2.0b. Type in (don’t hit Enter):
r24rf08 dump.bin"

What doesn't make sense is #4 of the following instructions:

1) Turn on your ThinkPad with all the wiring you just soldered.
2) Press F1 during the startup to enter the BIOS.
3) Wait untill all activity stops, blinking HDD leds and such.
4) Connect the ATMEL Chip reader. GND first then the SDA and SCL.
5) Now go to your spare PC and Hit enter on the command prompt.

If everthing is already connected to the serial port, which is connected to your spare pc, then what is #4 for?

(I'm certain I'll hit another roadblock after this).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old August 4th 13, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
[...]

This step on the one PC (capturing PC), prepares a command, but
doesn't start executing or anything. It would not start executing,
until you hit Enter. You've been asked, *not* to press Enter yet.

Type in (don’t hit Enter): r24rf08 dump.bin

That is the program which is going to record some serial information
into dump.bin.

(I can see a reference to 24RF08 here, a part I'm not familiar with...

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AT24RF08 )

The other instructions 1) to 5), prepare the target machine. Connecting
the ATMEL Chip reader, now your target SDA (data) and SDL (clock) are
connected to something.

Going back to the recording machine, where the "r24rf08 dump.bin"
is sitting in the command prompt, you haven't hit "Enter" yet.
When you hit Enter, the program you're about to run, assumes the
ATMEL Chip reader is already connected, and it's going to run SDA and SCL
until some device is dumped. Apparently "r24rf08 dump.bin" collects
data immediately, which is why you don't hit Enter until everything
is wired up (and the target machine is in a known state, quiet in
the BIOS).

Paul
Old August 5th 13, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_9_]

wrote on 04/08/2013 :
[...]

Sorry, I may have given wrong link!
Here are the pictures alltogether;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jgu35n7iwvnliw/jPK6H0HjAF

Here are the pictures individually;
Picture showing wires connected to 24RF08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r5mud3ka0v9rw6/24RF08.jpg

Picture of the 14pin version of the 24RF08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/reolj65ix7..._14_pinOUT.jpg

Picture of 8pin version of 24RF08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyt4kk2k8s...F08_eeprom.jpg

Another picture of 14pin 24RF08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwh70cn5pb...rf08closea.jpg

Diagram of both versions (15 and 8 pin)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zskvym9ohfibxem/EEPROMpic.gif

Picture of the MoBo being Masked with insulating-tape but leaving the
24RF08 clear
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w59st80fb...esCAG3IWR0.jpg

Picture of (somepersons) finished connector
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5xwstvw9x...img0201ra5.jpg

Picture of the T22 with (3) wires soldered to the 24RF08
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0427j78jtxnm8l3/T22_case.jpg

"Fire up a command promt(Start-run type cmd) and navigate to the folder
where you installed R24RF08 v2.0b. Type in (don’t hit Enter): r24rf08
dump.bin"

What doesn't make sense is #4 of the following instructions:

1) Turn on your ThinkPad with all the wiring you just soldered.
2) Press F1 during the startup to enter the BIOS.
3) Wait untill all activity stops, blinking HDD leds and such.
4) Connect the ATMEL Chip reader. GND first then the SDA and SCL.
5) Now go to your spare PC and Hit enter on the command prompt.

If everthing is already connected to the serial port, which is connected to
your spare pc, then what is #4 for?

(I'm certain I'll hit another roadblock after this).

As far as I understand, if the T22 and the work PC are connected before
both machines are Booted, then they may interfere with each other. Thus
you would connected the wires after both are booted and the PC is ready
to run the Program (GND can be be preconnected though).

See as in the pictures, you have wires from the T22 just dangling and
ready to be connected to the Alligator-clips that are on the
'Interface' plugged into the (Service) PC.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old August 6th 13, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:36:40 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Ok, after some research I found that all I have to do is put "cmd" in "Run" and a command prompt box pops up.

I'll ust (try to) make up the harness and then plug it into the spare pc *after* boot-up.

(Back to the harness).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old August 6th 13, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Monday, August 5, 2013 3:46:27 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
wrote on 04/08/2013 :

[...]

I spent hours trying to solder the leads to that chip. (And I have relatively steady hands).

I'll now have to get some solder off that is bridging a couple of the legs, and then try again. Though I may have already toasted the chip because the iron brushed over it a couple times. (That needle idea just doesn't work).

And now after seeing those pic links you posted I realized that I've been attempting to solder the leads to the incorrect legs anyway. (sigh).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old August 7th 13, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:10:59 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Slew of bad reviews more of recent (bought mine awhile ago and it's
older) - bad Chinese assembly QC, localised to the wand with the wires
too long and abutting the heater element, where they shouldn't.
Evidently causes the unit to short and burns it out.

Took apart my wand and don't see the wiring issues, so hard to
describle what the fix is. Works great, as also follows many other
reviews.

Anyway, it required a two special screws to get the wand apart.
Luckily I had the right screw tip in a $3 Chinese cellphone
disassembly kit:

HOSHE HS-6036A (found it on Ebay's Singapore market).