Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

Old October 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Default Vista licence: punishment for frequent upgraders?

Mike T. wrote:
"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Larry Roberts
says...
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:33:09 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

Comments?

Yes. They are trying to cause you to buy a new license every
other time you do an upgrade... Maybe gona be every other install.

What a load of ****. No they're not. At worst, you'll have to ring a

toll free number.

Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred
once. There is no procedure to work-around this restriction. -Dave

You dont know that yet.

Old October 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Mike T. wrote:
"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
ToolPackinMama says...
Comments?

Lots of bull**** floating around.

It'll work pretty much as it does now.

Not quite.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

Basically, if you mainboard dies and you replace it with a different
model, your license for Vista can be "transferred" to what is now
considered a new machine. It can only be transferred once. There is
no procedure in place to over-ride this restriction. So you can't
just call an 800# and get your OS re-activated. -Dave

You dont know that yet, and neither does techweb either.

Old October 24th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tomcat (Tom)

Mike T. wrote:

Nope, you're thinking XP. Vista is different. It can be transferred once.
There is no procedure to work-around this restriction. -Dave

Believe me, there will be work-arounds. MS will be lenient on the
one-transfer restriction. I'm sure you will have to call a number and
jump through a few hoops but eventually you will be able to get it
reactivated. MS is just trying to put some road bumps in the road to
try to discourage casual piracy.

Old October 24th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HDRDTD

I think everyone (or a large number of people) are overreacting.

My opinion is that it will most likey end up working similar to the way XP
does now.
You'll be able to upgrade your system a piece or two at a time with no
impact at all. Worst case (as it is now), if you change enough pieces all at
once such that Microsoft thinks it's a new system, all you'll have to do is
call and explain what you've done.

yes I've read the part about changing the motherboard.

remember, when XP first came out, everone was up in arms about not being
able to upgrade their systems for fear of it breaking the Microsoft
activation on their systems. Turned out to be pretty much of a non-issue
didn't it.

Nobody will know for certain until it finall ships.

Old October 24th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Microsoft will be gone like Ford Motor Company is gone. And it's
worse than that considering Microsoft is the only personal computer
operating system maker and Ford has several other companies to
compete with.

What's going to break Microsoft is other countries banding together
against us. That is if Microsoft ever figures out how to make other
countries pay for Windows in the first place. In the meantime,
Microsoft will remain the New World Order tax on America.

From: "JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:14:08 -0700

you guys just don't get it....... MS will be long gone, computers will be
appliances.......OS will be free and on a chip that you plug into ANY
machine (cause they will all be the same) use it then remove your chip
when your done...TCPA and its backers are the real perpatrator not Ms. This
OS thing is keeping you distracted.

Carry on wayward sons

Old October 24th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Crispy Critter

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:52:14 +0100, Conor wrote:

Lots of bull**** floating around.

It'll work pretty much as it does now.

Yea, and the biggest bull**** came from Microsoft themselves by claiming
that the Vista EULA is just a clarification of the XP EULA. That's a big
load of BS they dropped on us.
Old October 24th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tomcat (Tom)

John Doe wrote:
Microsoft will be gone like Ford Motor Company is gone. And it's
worse than that considering Microsoft is the only personal computer
operating system maker and Ford has several other companies to
compete with.

There is way too much Microsoft installed base for them to be gone
anytime soon. Your prediction might happen in 15-20 years but not in
the near future.

What's going to break Microsoft is other countries banding together
against us.

I can't see this happening. The world typically bands together to copy
us, not be against us. After all, we're the one putting food on their
table.

That is if Microsoft ever figures out how to make other
countries pay for Windows in the first place.

Well one thing for sure, MS can't charge the equivalent in US$ of what
we pay for it, but MS does need to figure out how to start profiting
from the millions and millions of people using their sofware illegally.

Old October 24th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Tomcat (Tom)" tom_overton_1968 yahoo.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Microsoft will be gone like Ford Motor Company is gone. And it's
worse than that considering Microsoft is the only personal
computer operating system maker and Ford has several other
companies to compete with.

There is way too much Microsoft installed base for them to be gone
anytime soon. Your prediction might happen in 15-20 years

Actually, I predict it won't happen in the foreseeable future.

What's going to break Microsoft is other countries banding
together against us.

I can't see this happening. The world typically bands together to
copy us, not be against us. After all, we're the one putting food
on their table.

You mean like Toyota and Honda? That's not good for your argument.

These days I am reading food labels that say Made in Taiwan,
Dole and Del Monte fruit for example. I'm sure the same origin was
stated on albacore tuna containers, but apparently the origin text
seems to have disappeared lately (specifically referring to Chicken
of the Sea).

That is if Microsoft ever figures out how to make other
countries pay for Windows in the first place.

Well one thing for sure, MS can't charge the equivalent in US$ of
what we pay for it, but MS does need to figure out how to start
profiting from the millions and millions of people using their
sofware illegally.

Many countries (Russia, China, and Brazil) do not even have
intellectual property law. Countries that have IP law just look the
other way. They all use Microsoft products for free, the exact same
products we pay for.

Another possibility is something like an intellectual-property
blockade. Might sound strange but I wouldn't bet against it. What
else besides world rule? Of course the idea of ruling the world
makes our leaders drool in anticipation, but that fantasy exists
only in their heads.

The point being. Microsoft isn't going anywhere. Our government
protecting Microsoft is futile. Only Americans and American
companies are hurt by allowing Microsoft to control personal
computing. Better would be to diversify. That diversification will
occur naturally in other countries as Microsoft becomes greedier and
squeezes harder. Protecting Microsoft just handcuffs us here at home
and drives us into the dirt.

From: "Tomcat (Tom)" tom_overton_1968 yahoo.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: 24 Oct 2006 13:56:37 -0700

Old October 24th 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Conor wrote:

In article ,
ToolPackinMama says...
Comments?

Lots of bull**** floating around.

It'll work pretty much as it does now.

That's true, at least in Europe.

Download the software and apply the crack.
Old October 24th 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tomcat (Tom)

John Doe wrote:
I can't see this happening. The world typically bands together to
copy us, not be against us. After all, we're the one putting food
on their table.

You mean like Toyota and Honda? That's not good for your argument.

I'm talking about 3rd world countries like China and India.

Many countries (Russia, China, and Brazil) do not even have
intellectual property law. Countries that have IP law just look the
other way. They all use Microsoft products for free, the exact same
products we pay for.

China and Russia are starting to enforce IP laws though. Especially as
these countries themselves begin to innovate and need such laws to
protect their own products.

The point being. Microsoft isn't going anywhere. Our government
protecting Microsoft is futile. Only Americans and American
companies are hurt by allowing Microsoft to control personal
computing.

Yeah global economy growing pains. Poor countries reap the benefits
while Americans get sqeezed, especially the middle class. We are
subsidizing the growth of the rest of the world until the rest of the
world catches up and can afford to start paying for some of the burden.
But until then, they will get free software while we continue to pay
out our noses.