Is Itanium the first 64-bit casualty?

Old June 29th 04, 06:18 PM
Peter Dickerson

"glen herrmannsfeldt" wrote in message
news:iihEc.130267$HG.98476@attbi_s53...
Nate Edel wrote:

(snip)

The 64-bit war for the desktop is still a non-starter; right you can

either
get software without consumer hardware (Windows for Itanic) or consumer
hardware without a mass-market OS (x86-64).

There is Windows (2003 server, I believe) for x86-64.

There is even a free 1 year evaluation version available.

-- glen

Not a released product, just a beta. And it is for AMD64 - apparently it
doesn't work with the Intel flavour yet. (lack of IOMMU hardware?)

Peter

Old June 29th 04, 08:44 PM
RusH

CJT wrote :

64 bit really isn't useful for typical (or even most atypical)
desktops, anyway.

UT2003 has 2GB of stuff on disk it uses for rendering
Next UT engine will use 2GB of stuff in RAM for the rendering, they
are waiting for a 64bit platform in the mean time becouse Windows as it
is sucks above 2GB (unusable).

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/
Old June 29th 04, 08:52 PM
CJT

RusH wrote:

CJT wrote :

64 bit really isn't useful for typical (or even most atypical)
desktops, anyway.

UT2003 has 2GB of stuff on disk it uses for rendering
Next UT engine will use 2GB of stuff in RAM for the rendering, they
are waiting for a 64bit platform in the mean time becouse Windows as it
is sucks above 2GB (unusable).

Pozdrawiam.

I suppose if you write bad enough code, you need that much linear
memory for essentially parallel tasks. But typical applications
don't.

Old June 29th 04, 09:59 PM
Rupert Pigott

CJT wrote:
RusH wrote:

CJT wrote :

64 bit really isn't useful for typical (or even most atypical)
desktops, anyway.

UT2003 has 2GB of stuff on disk it uses for rendering
Next UT engine will use 2GB of stuff in RAM for the rendering, they
are waiting for a 64bit platform in the mean time becouse Windows as
it is sucks above 2GB (unusable).

Pozdrawiam.

I suppose if you write bad enough code, you need that much linear
memory for essentially parallel tasks. But typical applications
don't.

I'd guess a fair chunk of that is textures, models and the like.

Cheers,
Rupert

Old June 29th 04, 10:06 PM
RusH

CJT wrote :

I suppose if you write bad enough code, you need that much linear
memory for essentially parallel tasks. But typical applications
don't.

Its not the code, its data.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/
Old June 30th 04, 03:02 AM
Yousuf Khan

Warren Spencer wrote:
Perhaps this is the first case of a processor acting as a catalyst:
The Itanium sparked the 64-bit-for-consumer trend, but isn't actually
going to take part in it ;-)

Interesting way of looking at it, I'll admit.

Yousuf Khan

Old June 30th 04, 03:39 AM
Yousuf Khan

Nate Edel wrote:
Well, you can kinda-sorta get the OS on the G5, as others have noted.
And Apple, while consumer hardware, is only kinda-sorta in the
mass-market game. Even within the Apple market, are the G5s down
throughout the line yet, or are they just the top-end model?

Does AIX which runs on Power4 chips work on the G5?

Yousuf Khan

Old June 30th 04, 04:01 AM
CJT

RusH wrote:

CJT wrote :

I suppose if you write bad enough code, you need that much linear
memory for essentially parallel tasks. But typical applications
don't.

Its not the code, its data.

Precisely.

Pozdrawiam.

Old June 30th 04, 04:47 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:52:23 GMT, CJT wrote:
RusH wrote:

CJT wrote :

64 bit really isn't useful for typical (or even most atypical)
desktops, anyway.

UT2003 has 2GB of stuff on disk it uses for rendering
Next UT engine will use 2GB of stuff in RAM for the rendering, they
are waiting for a 64bit platform in the mean time becouse Windows as it
is sucks above 2GB (unusable).

Pozdrawiam.

I suppose if you write bad enough code, you need that much linear
memory for essentially parallel tasks. But typical applications
don't.

Not bad code, just LOTS of graphics. Eye candy and graphics seems to
be what sells in video games for the most part, so I expect that we'll
see the data set for games continue to expand at a rather prodigious
rate.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca