Is Itanium the first 64-bit casualty?

Old June 26th 04, 04:54 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Is Itanium the first 64-bit casualty?

Interesting reading here, and very common-sense. Itanium may be the next
casualty in the 64-bit wars, when Itanium was the one that caused the 64-bit
wars to start in the first place.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...nterwin_1.html

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old June 26th 04, 08:54 AM
Greg Lindahl

Interesting reading here, and very common-sense.

Pretty much lacking on the factual side, and nothing new in the rest
of it.

Why'd you cross-post so widely?

Followups away from comp.arch.

-- greg
Old June 26th 04, 10:36 PM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:54:12 GMT, (Greg Lindahl) wrote:

Interesting reading here, and very common-sense.

Pretty much lacking on the factual side, and nothing new in the rest
of it.

Yes, I'm curious why he mentioned none of the known hard facts. I guess
the ones like this
http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware...ium_letter.htm didn't want
to be held up as examples of the iNfidel.:-) "Decertification" sounds
kinda serious coming from a major workstation software vendor. I wonder
how long before customers umm, decertify 32-bit only x-86 systems.

Why'd you cross-post so widely?

Followups away from comp.arch.

RD&H?

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old June 28th 04, 09:02 PM
Warren Spencer

(Yousuf Khan) wrote in
om:

Interesting reading here, and very common-sense. Itanium may be the next
casualty in the 64-bit wars, when Itanium was the one that caused the
64-bit wars to start in the first place.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...nterwin_1.html

Yousuf Khan

Perhaps this is the first case of a processor acting as a catalyst: The
Itanium sparked the 64-bit-for-consumer trend, but isn't actually going to
take part in it ;-)

ws
--
Warren Spencer
Senior Software Engineer
Old June 28th 04, 09:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Warren Spencer wrote:

Perhaps this is the first case of a processor acting as a catalyst: The
Itanium sparked the 64-bit-for-consumer trend, but isn't actually going to
take part in it ;-)

Yer whaa?

It was INTENDED to do that - back in 1994, it was intended to replace
x86 in the consumer market by 2001 - but NO WAY did it have a significant
influence on it. The trend was due to the passage of time, involving
Moore's law and Gates's law (bloatware expands at 60% per annum), and
the main chips that started 64-bit use by consumers were the SPARC
and PowerPC. And they didn't have much influence on that market.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old June 29th 04, 03:34 AM
del cecchi

"Nate Edel" wrote in message
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan wrote:
Interesting reading here, and very common-sense. Itanium may be the

next
casualty in the 64-bit wars, when Itanium was the one that caused

the 64-bit
wars to start in the first place.

Errr... hype about Itanium may have brought the interest from the Unix

world
to the destkop, but Dec and Sun both came closer to getting Alpha and
UltraSparc on the desktop than Intel's come to putting Itanic there.

The 64-bit war for the desktop is still a non-starter; right you can

either
get software without consumer hardware (Windows for Itanic) or

consumer
hardware without a mass-market OS (x86-64).

--

Or you can get both, Apple G5. duh.

del cecchi

Old June 29th 04, 07:46 AM
AD.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:34:17 -0500, del cecchi wrote:

Or you can get both, Apple G5. duh.

Exactly what 64bit capabilities does Panther have? That's just a question,
I don't really know

I was under the impression that Apple won't have a 'proper' 64bit OS
until Tiger (10.4) early next year.

Cheers
Anton
Old June 29th 04, 07:56 AM
CJT

del cecchi wrote:

"Nate Edel" wrote in message

[...]

64 bit really isn't useful for typical (or even most atypical) desktops,
anyway.

Old June 29th 04, 01:53 PM
David Magda

"AD." writes:

Exactly what 64bit capabilities does Panther have? That's just a
question, I don't really know

Certainly not a 64-bit memory model.

I was under the impression that Apple won't have a 'proper' 64bit
OS until Tiger (10.4) early next year.

Which was just previewed yesterday at Apple's WWDC 2004. Apple will
be going to an LP64 model in "Tiger":

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/64bit.html

Apple's development tools also have support for "Fat Binaries":
allowing for both 32- and 64-bit instructions in the same
executable. I've heard it mentioned that the binary format would also
allow different architecture code (e.g., both PowerPC and x86) in the
same binary as well.

So we'll have UltraSPARC, 'AMD64' and PowerPC as the most popular
64-bit platforms?

--
David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca, http://www.magda.ca/
Old June 29th 04, 06:04 PM
glen herrmannsfeldt

Nate Edel wrote:

(snip)

The 64-bit war for the desktop is still a non-starter; right you can either
get software without consumer hardware (Windows for Itanic) or consumer
hardware without a mass-market OS (x86-64).

There is Windows (2003 server, I believe) for x86-64.

There is even a free 1 year evaluation version available.

-- glen