Can't boot from CD

Old November 14th 04, 09:12 PM
Zotin Khuma

Default Can't boot from CD

Machine (customer's) : P4-1.9GHz, Intel 845GLVA, Win XP Pro. Seagate
40GB 7.2krpm, Sony 52x CD drive as secondary master.

I want to run a DOS program on this computer, inserted a bootable CD,
selected the CD-ROM drive as the first boot device in BIOS. The CD
access light flickered for a few seconds and went on to boot from the
HDD.

Next I disabled the HDD as a boot drive. CD drive light flickered
again and displayed "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert
boot media in selected boot device"

The drive has no trouble reading the CD in Windows and my own computer
boots from the same CD.

Next I selected the FDD as 1st boot device and CD as 2nd in the hope
that this will give time for the CD-drive to spin up and read the CD
boot sector. No good.

I repeated the above processes several times. ATM I don't have a
bootable diskette and I've misplaced the box with all my other
bootable CDs. Can anyone help please ?

Tomorrow I'll try changing the CD-drive status by changing cable and
jumper positions (it's 2:30am here now). I'll also try changing the
drive. Can anyone tell me if these things could be the answer ?
Old November 15th 04, 12:21 AM
Zdenek Sojka

I think there are more formats of bootable CDs - some are FDD images, some
are not.
Your BIOS is prolly not compatible with your CD.

Zdenek Sojka

"Zotin Khuma" píse v diskusním príspevku
m...

Old November 15th 04, 01:27 AM
Christo

"Zotin Khuma" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I currently have 2 Sony drives

one a CD-RW/DVD combi drive and the other a sony DVD -/+ RW drive

I had an abit nf7 v2.0 with only the sony CD-RW/DVD combi in and i had
trouble even booting up with a copy of the windows cd, i eventually got
there, by luck i think

I now have norton ghost and have been trying to boot into the the recovery
console with my new MSI kt6v nf7 blew up) now with the sony dvd -/+ rw drive

i have tried all of what you have said, even replaced a few jumpers,
disabled hdd, and on this msi board if i tap f11 on post it allows me to
select a device to boot from, after selecting both the combi drive and the
dvdrw drive it doesnt want to work

I believe it could be a cd issue, as i simply copied files as a data cd with
nero express, not sure if should have made it a bootable cd in nero with the
extra files on, anyhow the OS is copied and maybe some boot information was
missing from that CD i am not sure

either way i am having trouble booting CD's up even with jumpers correctly
setup both drives on seperate IDE channels etc etc

i have given up trying, maybe i will try making a boot cd with nero with the
relevant norton ghost files on it (seen as ghost is a copy and i have just
added the files from the rar file)

Old November 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Zotin Khuma

"Christo" wrote in message ...

.....snip....

Zdenek Sojka and Christo, thanks for responding. I found a Win98 boot
disk in my box and managed to go from there. But I sure would like to
know if there's some way to make this computer boot from CD anyway.

I tried the IDE cable and jumper manipulations w/o success. Even put
in a new Liteon CD drive. Google turned up suggestions to start by
using default BIOS settings. Some reported that their POST screen
instructed them to "press any key to boot from CD". I tried all these
and even some unlikely experiments. Nothing worked.

The CD I used (or tried to use) is my workhorse disc that I created
with Nero, using a Win98SE boot diskette image, but with the FDISK.exe
replaced by one from a WinME boot disk. It has a large collection of
standard utilities on it and I use it everyday.

I work mostly but not exclusively with AMD systems and this CD has
successfully booted literally more than a hundred machines, using
perhaps two dozen different motherboards, including several Intel
systems from Pentium classic to P4. This is the first time a system
has absolutely refused to boot from it.

BTW, my own Biostar M7NCG-400 motherboard has an option to choose the
boot device by hitting F9 at the POST screen. No need to go into BIOS
settings. Neat.
Old November 16th 04, 10:18 PM
Shep©

On 15 Nov 2004 21:48:07 -0800 The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when (Zotin Khuma) wrote :

Shep© wrote in message . ..
On 14 Nov 2004 13:12:01 -0800 The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when
(Zotin Khuma) wrote :

Machine (customer's) : P4-1.9GHz, Intel 845GLVA, Win XP Pro. Seagate
40GB 7.2krpm, Sony 52x CD drive as secondary master.

I want to run a DOS program on this computer, inserted a bootable CD,
selected the CD-ROM drive as the first boot device in BIOS. The CD
access light flickered for a few seconds and went on to boot from the
HDD.

Next I disabled the HDD as a boot drive.

Do you mean disabled or changed?
I've never had to disable a hard drive to get a Cdrom to be bootable.
Re-enable it.
Also
Make sure that the Cdrom is set to Auto detect in the BIOS.Some mother
boards allow a,"Manual" auto-detect which will set the drive's
parameters and can speed up booting however this usually disables the
Cdrom drive from then being used as a bootable drive.This is,"Not" the
same as the,"Auto" function in the BIOS.

Also make sure that the jumpers on the back of,"ALL" drives are
correctly set as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html

HTH

I mean 'disabled'. This mobo's BIOS has that option in the boot
priority menu. I also made sure that the CD-ROM drive is properly
detected. I've done all you suggested and much more, not haphazardly,
but in a methodical manner, but no go.

Try burning this bootable .iso and see if it will run,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
Readme included.
It's a win98/ME = other useful dos programs and of course MS dos.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Boot problem with Promise SATA Fasttrack S150TX2 Plus Wizard General 0 September 13th 04 06:54 PM
Hard drive will not boot Dave General 1 March 9th 04 06:16 PM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM