compaq 5000US question

Old December 5th 03, 12:39 PM
Mike0000

Default compaq 5000US question

I have a heavily modified 5000US (replaced drive, filled ram, replaced
chip, replaced videocard, etc) and would like to keep it for a while,
but the power supply noise is killing me. It has this horrible whine to
it. A quick look at it suggests its ATX sized, but can anyone confirm
this? Yeah, I could take it all apart and measure it but it would save
me a lot of time and effort is someone here knew this offhand.(searching
no luck so far) Not to metion shutting down all the services I have
running on it would be an inconvience to some people.

Also, does the MB care what wattage the ps is? I'm assuming a 300watt
replacement (looking at a quiet sparkle or fortron) wont cause any
problems as the current one is 235 watts.

Any info/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Old December 5th 03, 01:34 PM
The Kruegers

Yes, it is an ATX power supply. You can replace it with a 300 watt if you
wish. No need to measure anything.

Old December 5th 03, 02:21 PM
Mike0000

The Kruegers wrote:
Yes, it is an ATX power supply. You can replace it with a 300 watt if you
wish. No need to measure anything.

Actually, Compaq lists it as uATX which is MicroATX. I took it apart
and its much smaller than an ATX ps.

I found a dual-fan 250w Micro ATX ps for it for 20 bucks. Hopefully it
won't be as loud as the stock compaq one.

If not I'm just going to buy a cheap case that's big enough to hold an
ATX ps. There are more than a few microATX cases that use full-size ATX
ps's.

Old December 5th 03, 02:35 PM
Mike0000

Mike0000 wrote:

The Kruegers wrote:

Yes, it is an ATX power supply. You can replace it with a 300 watt if you
wish. No need to measure anything.

Actually, Compaq lists it as uATX which is MicroATX. I took it apart
and its much smaller than an ATX ps.

Now, I'm not even sure. They measure to the same length. Perhaps the
compaq case is too crowded to fit it? Why would compaq list it as
"uATX" on their website?

Found this on the web:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be
used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable
with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case
specs; often not interchangeable.

Well, it measure to ATX. I think Compaq's site isn't accurate.

Old December 6th 03, 06:59 PM
Guido

Consider just replacing the noisy fan, or wiring the existing one to run at
7v.

Mike0000 wrote:
Mike0000 wrote:

The Kruegers wrote:

[...]

Compaq Presario 5000 blown processor? Ashot Compaq Computers 1 July 28th 03 07:02 AM
compaq upgrade question churdyman Compaq Computers 0 July 28th 03 01:33 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 20th 03 03:09 PM
question about Compaq 7360 HH Compaq Computers 1 July 12th 03 08:20 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 10th 03 08:07 PM