Burning coasters with TDK CDRs and Plextor 12/10/32A

Old November 2nd 03, 09:45 PM
George Earl

Default Burning coasters with TDK CDRs and Plextor 12/10/32A

Is anyone else having problems burning to TDK 48x 80min CDRs using a
Plextor 12/10/32A? I just opened a new spindle and got three coasters
out of nine tries last night. Before this I've never had a coaster.
I've been using Fuji and Maxell CDRs. Using Nero 5.5.7.8, firmware
version 1.04 on the Plextor, on Windows XP Pro . . .

George

Old November 3rd 03, 03:49 AM
rtr

No but I'll bet that new spindle of TDK disks is the problem. I also had a
big problem with a new spindle of TDKs, seems TDK is using Ritek now instead
of CMC. Even at X32, I was getting coasters. Switched to bulk TYs and no
more problems.

rtr

Old November 3rd 03, 06:42 AM
Mike Richter

George Earl wrote:
Is anyone else having problems burning to TDK 48x 80min CDRs using a
Plextor 12/10/32A? I just opened a new spindle and got three coasters
out of nine tries last night. Before this I've never had a coaster.
I've been using Fuji and Maxell CDRs. Using Nero 5.5.7.8, firmware
version 1.04 on the Plextor, on Windows XP Pro . . .

Without more information about the sort of coaster you're getting, it's
hard to guess at the problem or the fix. It is not unlikely that the 48x
media are optimized for a substantially higher write speed than 12x;
that alone could be the reason for the failure if it occurs in some ways.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 3rd 03, 10:08 PM
George Earl

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:42:34 -0800, Mike Richter
wrote:

George Earl wrote:
Is anyone else having problems burning to TDK 48x 80min CDRs using a
Plextor 12/10/32A? I just opened a new spindle and got three coasters
out of nine tries last night. Before this I've never had a coaster.
I've been using Fuji and Maxell CDRs. Using Nero 5.5.7.8, firmware
version 1.04 on the Plextor, on Windows XP Pro . . .

Without more information about the sort of coaster you're getting, it's
hard to guess at the problem or the fix. It is not unlikely that the 48x
media are optimized for a substantially higher write speed than 12x;
that alone could be the reason for the failure if it occurs in some ways.

In each case (3 out of 9) the CD writer froze part of the way through
the burn (40%, 53%, 94%). Each time the CD writer activity light was
on solid green and the writer would not respond to the stop/eject
button. I was able to shut down all software and log off but I could
not shut down the PC - I had to pull the plug from the wall and plug
it back in again . . .

George

Old November 4th 03, 05:34 PM
norm

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:45:36 -0500, George Earl
wrote:

Is anyone else having problems burning to TDK 48x 80min CDRs using a
Plextor 12/10/32A? I just opened a new spindle and got three coasters
out of nine tries last night. Before this I've never had a coaster.
I've been using Fuji and Maxell CDRs. Using Nero 5.5.7.8, firmware
version 1.04 on the Plextor, on Windows XP Pro . . .

George

New firmware (1.10 or later - cant remember which) is said to help
with high speed rated blanks.