computer won't boot after shutdown

Old October 27th 04, 02:04 PM
maiden

Default computer won't boot after shutdown

I've got a EP-4PEAD motherboard with a P4 2.4.

I can use and shut down the PC fine. But the next time I want to turn
the PC on (via the power button on the front) I have to physically
remove the power cable from the back of the PC first. It is a real
pain in the ***.

I'm thinking it might be a power supply problem? It seems that
something is not telling the computer that the power should be turned
off, and that is why the power button does not work until I physically
remove the power cord from the back and then reattach it.

Please help!

Old October 27th 04, 10:54 PM
jaster

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:04:54 -0400, maiden wrote:

I've got a EP-4PEAD motherboard with a P4 2.4.

I can use and shut down the PC fine. But the next time I want to turn the
PC on (via the power button on the front) I have to physically remove the
power cable from the back of the PC first. It is a real pain in the ***.

I'm thinking it might be a power supply problem? It seems that something
is not telling the computer that the power should be turned off, and that
is why the power button does not work until I physically remove the power
cord from the back and then reattach it.

Please help!

it could be the on off switch is broken. Why not set PC to wake on lan or
mouse.
Old October 27th 04, 11:03 PM
w_tom

Power supply controller is on motherboard. Then there could
be a problem with the switch. It is called spitting into the
wind if you don't have a 3.5 digit multimeter. Especially
since meters are so inexpensive and sold most everywhere.

Best way to verifiy power supply problems is to not remove
anything. Get the meter and follow the procedurs in two
previous discussion. You are most concerned about signals
into power supply controler - both power switch wire and the
+5VSB, Power on, and power good signals. This procedure
should provide answers in but a minute or two. There is no
testing procedure with component removed that will test faster
or more accurately. Get the meter and read these:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

Old October 28th 04, 06:22 AM
Overlord

If you don't have a meter to check the power switch, pull the power switch
connector from the motherboard, leave the power cable to the wall/PS
connected and short the 2 pins that the power switch was connected to
with a small screwdriver. If it starts, you have a bad switch.
Alternatively, if your bios supports it, set the options in the bios to have
your system boot when you hit the spacebar.

On 27 Oct 2004 09:04:54 -0400, lid (maiden) wrote:

I've got a EP-4PEAD motherboard with a P4 2.4.

I can use and shut down the PC fine. But the next time I want to turn
the PC on (via the power button on the front) I have to physically
remove the power cable from the back of the PC first. It is a real
pain in the ***.

I'm thinking it might be a power supply problem? It seems that
something is not telling the computer that the power should be turned
off, and that is why the power button does not work until I physically
remove the power cord from the back and then reattach it.

Please help!

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]

~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

Computer Shutdown and Start itself!! Jeremy Leung General 1 December 10th 04 05:16 PM
I changed the bios settings, Now the computer will not boot :-( Si Overclocking 18 February 22nd 04 07:16 PM
Computer won't boot ArchNacho General 5 October 4th 03 05:24 PM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM