Soundcards and Overhead

Old July 27th 04, 02:51 PM
Ctal

Default Soundcards and Overhead

I'm having a tough time tracking down any good tests showing the amount of
processor work various sound cards offload. Ayone have some links or
willing to provide some input on my situation?

Nothing wrong with my sound atm, just feel like tinkering with my system
I've got a SB Live Value card that's about 4 years old. MB has onboard
audio but it's the Realtek ALC650 (AC97 codec). What kind of performance
hit am I taking during games with a lot of 3D sound? How about some
comparisons between the following:

SB Live Value (free)
AC'97 (free)
Audigy ($42)
Audigy 2 ($85)
Various VIA Envy chipsets ($28)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ($35)
Hercules Fortissimo III ($30)
Others?

Am I right in thinking that any add on card is better than onboard due to
the lack of a sound processor? I've had some crashes in a few apps due to
creative cards but have usually been able to work around them. So I'm not
opposed to creative but would have to be blown away by that audigy 2 to
spend $85.

I've got a decent set of 5.1 speakers.

Old July 27th 04, 10:53 PM
Dave C.

(snip)

Am I right in thinking that any add on card is better than onboard due to
the lack of a sound processor? I've had some crashes in a few apps due to
creative cards but have usually been able to work around them. So I'm not
opposed to creative but would have to be blown away by that audigy 2 to
spend $85.

I've got a decent set of 5.1 speakers.

Upgrading from on-board sound to an add-on sound card is a must, for most
mainboards. But . . .

The difference in performance of add-on sound cards is sound quality. A
Turtle Beach Riviera would be a nice upgrade from a SB Live! Value for about
half the price of an Audigy 2. It would also bring those 5.1 speakers to
life and make them sound brand new again. However, you should do nothing if
you are satisfied with the sound quality of the SB Live! Value. -Dave