Seagate buys Maxtor

Old December 22nd 05, 06:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate buys Maxtor

tony wrote
Arno Wagner wrote

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate. Can
with Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail more often, I'd rather
replace twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my
PC.

If quiet is the issue, go Samsung. They are the quietest drives
on the market. BTW, I have yet to get a quiet Maxtor, but I
stopped buying them about 2 years ago. Have they changed?

Well now is becoming the time to investigate other brands perhaps
since Maxtor is being sucked up by Seagate. Does Samsung have
the features and technology though that Seagate and Maxtor do
(SATA, 7200 RPM, NCQ, high density, hot-swap etc)?

Yep
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es/SP2504C.asp

I'm looking for silent though

The samsungs are that in spades.

and not just "quietly annoying" like the Seagates are. Maxtor met my extreme
criteria for "silent" whereas Seagate did not.

The samsungs are a lot quieter than Maxtors.

Old December 22nd 05, 08:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person tony said

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

I agree. IMO they should just get rid of the Maxtors designs and
retool everything to the Seagate models.

God forbid! That would be like imposing water torture on
PC users again after Maxtor had saved them from it (I'm talking
about the annoying noise Seagates make (7200.7s)).

Dunno what you are doing to your 7200.7s but mine are way quieter than
Hitachi, Quantum (OK, those are old), or ATA IVs. I don't know if Maxtor
would be even quieter, since I wouldn't install them on a bet at the
moment (although their warranty swap-out system is rated highly -
apparently it gets a lot of practise)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old December 22nd 05, 08:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Never anonymous Bud wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:47:16 GMT, "tony" wrote:

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate. Can with
Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors fail more often, I'd rather replace
twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my PC.

Seagate, Hitachi, and WD all had drives cooler than Maxtor.
In fact, a Maxtor was the HOTTEST drive tested...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/...rld/page8.html

And a different test, more drives, SAME results..

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...nd/page35.html

And a different site, now the Maxtors with lowest AND highest temps,
AND loudest drives (spread from quietest to loudest is only 5db!)!

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...px?i=2577&p=14

Trouble with this sort of test is you really need a spread of, say, 20
of each identical model to get a good indication.

I've had two identical Maxtors manufactured at the same site on the same
day, running together with temperatures probably as much as 15 deg
Centigrade difference.

Even with my Seagate drives, there can be a significant temp.
difference.

(Lying on a clean, open surface, about 6cm from each other with no real
external influences.)

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old December 22nd 05, 12:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"J. Clarke" writes:

If you investigate I believe that you will find that Seagate sets their SATA
drives on max performance and their PATA drives on min noise. They don't
"disable the acoustic management features", they just don't let you adjust
them. I doubt that any other drive vendor does these days either after the
Seagate lawsuit.

What's this lawsuit about?

WRT patents and all, won't Seagate get access to all the patents and
licenses that Maxtor has?

Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk
Old December 22nd 05, 01:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Never anonymous Bud wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:37:22 GMT, "tony" wrote:

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Complete bull****, and based on experience with MANY drives
over the past few years.

ONLY Maxtors have died on me. Died Early, and died HARD!

I've had bad luck with Maxtors in recent years as well. I buy WD now.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:37:22 GMT, "tony" wrote:

"YKhan" wrote in message oups.com...
Seagate gets Maxtor - vnunet.com
http://www.vnunet.com/crn/news/21478...te-gets-maxtor

Storage vendor Seagate has entered into an agreement to
aquire rival vendor Maxtor in an all stock transaction.

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

What utter rubbish - none of your noise complaints have any merit at all;
every drive is different and you can get a dud or a slightly noisier one
from any mfr - the WD I got recently drones/throbs like an old radial
engine and can be felt through the case. The Seagate I got to replace it
is slightly noisier than other Seagates I've seen/heard but nothing
obtrusive... silent compared with *that* WD example. The only Maxtor I've
bought in the last few years is long dead.

Knock on wood I guess and keep fingers crossed.

Hey at least if/when it does go, with Seagate in control you might get an
easy RMA procedure - Seagate allows the entire process on-line, including
diags; Maxtor tells you to get in the 'phone queue.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old December 22nd 05, 02:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

"J. Clarke" writes:

If you investigate I believe that you will find that Seagate sets their
SATA
drives on max performance and their PATA drives on min noise. They don't
"disable the acoustic management features", they just don't let you
adjust
them. I doubt that any other drive vendor does these days either after
the Seagate lawsuit.

What's this lawsuit about?

Google "convolve seagate". Some outfit called "Convolve" showed Seagate
some acoustic management technology including a control panel allowing
end-users to change the acoustic management settings under software
control. Seagate incorporated acoustic management in their drives about
the same time. Convolve is claiming that Seagate stole their idea.
Currently the suit seems to have been stalled for about a year now while
Convolve tries to weasel out of revealing certain information requested by
Seagate's lawyers.

WRT patents and all, won't Seagate get access to all the patents and
licenses that Maxtor has?

Maxtor does not own Convolve, which in 2001 was awarded a patent for the
technology in question.

Kai

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 22nd 05, 02:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

chrisv wrote:
Never anonymous Bud wrote:

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:37:22 GMT, "tony" wrote:

Argh, I hope that does not mean that the Maxtor line of drives:

will get the annoying noise that the Seagates have.
will have the acoustic management feature turned off like the Seagates.
will run as hot as the Seagates.
will fail as often as the Seagates.
will get louder and louder every year in use like the Seagates.

Complete bull****, and based on experience with MANY drives
over the past few years.

ONLY Maxtors have died on me. Died Early, and died HARD!

I've had bad luck with Maxtors in recent years as well. I buy WD now.

I ran into a lot of bad drives in the DiamondMax 9 series - about
a third of the 112 drives I bought (a single purchase) failed
within the first month. With such a high failure rate, I had
several situations where the replacement of a replacement drive
failed. I was lucky to have a good relationship with the vendor
who let me exchange them all for Seagate drives.

However, that experience doesn't bias me against Maxtor because
over the years I have also been in similar situations with 3.5"
PATA and SATA drives from IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, and Seagate.
Every drive manufacturer seems to crank out a bad product line
every decade or so.

Samsung is missing from my list above - possibly only because I
have never really used non-laptop Samsung drives in any
significant quantity.

I also vaguely recall using a small batch of ??? Sony ??? hard
drives 15+ years ago that had died like flies. Not really sure
of the brand - just something I would associate more with
non-computer electronics than with computers. Mitsubishi maybe ?
Old December 22nd 05, 04:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...
tony wrote
Arno Wagner wrote

What can I say, I like silent drives. Can't have that with a Seagate. Can with Maxtor. Even if it were true that Maxtors
fail more often, I'd rather replace twice as often than listen to a Seagate popcorn machine inside of my PC.

If quiet is the issue, go Samsung. They are the quietest drives
on the market. BTW, I have yet to get a quiet Maxtor, but I
stopped buying them about 2 years ago. Have they changed?

Well now is becoming the time to investigate other brands perhaps
since Maxtor is being sucked up by Seagate. Does Samsung have
the features and technology though that Seagate and Maxtor do
(SATA, 7200 RPM, NCQ, high density, hot-swap etc)?

Yep
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es/SP2504C.asp

Looks adequate spec-wise. I'll have to get one of those and live with it awhile I think.

Tony

Old December 22nd 05, 04:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message ...
Bitstring , from the wonderful person tony said

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message ...

I agree. IMO they should just get rid of the Maxtors designs and
retool everything to the Seagate models.

God forbid! That would be like imposing water torture on
PC users again after Maxtor had saved them from it (I'm talking
about the annoying noise Seagates make (7200.7s)).

Dunno what you are doing to your 7200.7s but mine are way quieter than Hitachi, Quantum (OK, those are old), or ATA IVs. I
don't know if Maxtor would be even quieter, since I wouldn't install them on a bet at the moment (although their warranty
swap-out system is rated highly - apparently it gets a lot of practise)

It's the documented annoying idle seek noise that makes the Seagate
drives unacceptable. (As well as the inability to set the acoustic
management params to "silent" mode).

Tony