"TLB parity error in virtual array; TLB error 'instruction"?

Old April 27th 10, 02:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Ant[_3_]

Default "TLB parity error in virtual array; TLB error 'instruction"?

On 4/26/2010 8:10 AM PT, Yousuf Khan typed:

It's probably getting worse. Might be time to think about replacement.

Yeah, probably at the end of this year when I update my newer Windows'
box's hardwares. If it fails completely before it, then I will just go
back to my single core Athlon 64 system left overs I have here.

BTW, I still cannot reproduce these machine errors and kernel panics
outside of my 2005's Debian installation with an Ubuntu liveCD after 15
hours of some usage and idled. I wonder if my old Debian installation
is causing it instead of hardwares, but then that doesn't explain why it
was stable before the PSU, videocard, RAM, and other failures a few
months ago. I probably need to do a full clean reinstall and reconfigure
from scratch which I don't have time these days. I will probably save
that when I swap/upgrade my hardwares later on. I just want to reproduce
this outside of my old Debian installation! Grr!!

Here's more interesting. After I booted back to old Debian and over 1.5
days of uptime, I haven't gotten any new kernel panics since 4/25/2010
4(don't remember the exact minute) AM PDT and machine errors (4/21/2010
3:26 AM PDT) so far...

Again, the issues are not easily reproducable. They come and go! No
specific patterns now (not related to temperatures, idle times, etc.).
--
"Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia -- national guard...
That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war between men and
Old April 30th 10, 10:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_2_]

On Mar 16, 1:02*pm, wrote:
Having a better look through your logs, I see this addr is
very common (almost all errs are at this addr). *Aren't
you curious about the instruction that produced the errors?
/boot/System.map should contain the addr of all kernel fns,
and there should be some way to lookup modules.

I did a "cat /var/log/messages |grep ADDR" and found these addresses:
c104e3f0
c106e8c0
c11b6ff0 (most common)

But none of them matched to /boot/System.map-2.6.32-trunk-686. Here are
close addresses around them for each one:

c104e2f9 T tick_handle_periodic
c104e360 T tick_get_broadcast_device

c1063e1b t stop_cpu
c1063ec6 T stop_machine_destroy

c11b6fb8 T acpi_pm_read_verified
c11b6ffc t acpi_pm_read

Since I did a Kernel upgrade (2.6.32-3 from -2 trunk) yesterday morning,
I noticed a new address in my /var/log/messages (only one so far):
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: Please contact your hardware vendor
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: MCE 0
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: CPU 1 1 instruction cache
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: ADDR c104e570
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: TIME 1268743276 Tue Mar 16 05:41:16 2010
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: * TLB parity error in virtual array
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: * TLB error 'instruction transaction, level 1'
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: STATUS 9400000000010011 MCGSTATUS 0
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: MCGCAP 105 APICID 1 SOCKETID 0
Mar 16 05:41:16 foobar mcelog: CPUID Vendor AMD Family 15 Model 43

# ls -all /boot/System.map-2.6.32-3-686
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1259340 2010-02-25 01:00 /boot/System.map-2.6.32-3-686

I am going to assume contents changed in both Kernel and the system.map. I did a look up to match that c104e570 address. Closest address we
# cat /boot/System.map-2.6.32-3-686 |grep c104e
c104e07d t tick_notify
c104e374 t tick_periodic
c104e3dd T tick_handle_periodic
c104e444 T tick_get_broadcast_device
c104e44a T tick_get_broadcast_mask
c104e450 T tick_is_broadcast_device
c104e464 T tick_set_periodic_handler
c104e477 T tick_get_broadcast_oneshot_mask
c104e47d T tick_broadcast_oneshot_active
c104e48a T tick_shutdown_broadcast_oneshot
c104e4ac T tick_check_oneshot_broadcast
c104e4d5 T tick_resume_broadcast_oneshot
c104e4e2 T tick_broadcast_setup_oneshot
c104e5ae T tick_broadcast_switch_to_oneshot
c104e5e0 t tick_do_broadcast
c104e634 t tick_handle_oneshot_broadcast
c104e71d t tick_do_periodic_broadcast
c104e74a T tick_broadcast_oneshot_control
c104e82c T tick_resume_broadcast
c104e8a3 T tick_device_uses_broadcast
c104e91b T tick_suspend_broadcast
c104e943 T tick_shutdown_broadcast
c104e989 t tick_handle_periodic_broadcast
c104e9ce T tick_broadcast_on_off
c104eb0e T tick_check_broadcast_device
c104eb60 T tick_oneshot_mode_active
c104eb96 T tick_switch_to_oneshot
c104ec1e T tick_init_highres
c104ec28 T tick_dev_program_event
c104eca9 T tick_setup_oneshot
c104ecd9 T tick_program_event
c104ecfc T tick_resume_oneshot
c104ed24 T tick_get_tick_sched
c104ed33 T tick_nohz_get_sleep_length
c104ed4c T tick_oneshot_notify
c104ed63 t tick_init_jiffy_update
c104edae T tick_check_oneshot_change
c104eea1 t tick_do_update_jiffies64
c104ef87 t tick_nohz_handler

After 1.5 months later, I did comparisons with the last two weeks'
logs with two different kernel 2.6.32 i686 (-3 and -4) packages.

-3:
Apr 20 04:13:52 mcelog: ADDR c104e500
Apr 14 01:36:16 mcelog: ADDR c104e530
Apr 16 06:03:52 mcelog: ADDR c104e540
Apr 20 02:51:22 mcelog: ADDR c104e570
/boot/System.map-2.6.32-3-686 showed:
c104e4e2 T tick_broadcast_setup_oneshot
c104e5ae T tick_broadcast_switch_to_oneshot

Apr 13 23:58:46 mcelog: ADDR c104f2c0
/boot/System.map-2.6.32-4-686 showed:
c104f2bb T tick_check_idle
c104f32f T tick_nohz_restart_sched_tick

Most /var/log/messages' addresses were at c104e570 for Kernel
2.6.32-3.

-4 has four days and 21 hours of uptime after upgrading the kernel and
rebooting. So far, only two machine errors and no kernel panics:
Apr 27 09:00:20 mcelog: ADDR c1046d30
/boot/System.map-2.6.32-4-686 showed:
c1046cae T hrtimer_interrupt
c1046e08 t __hrtimer_peek_ahead_timers

Apr 30 07:17:50 mcelog: ADDR c106ee80
/boot/System.map-2.6.32-4-686 showed:
c106ee3c T rcu_irq_enter
c106ee88 T rcu_nmi_exit

Completely different now. Weird.
Old June 27th 10, 01:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_2_]

I found a way to get more chances of kernel panics now. If I run
VirtualBox with Windows XP Pro. SP3 (IE6) virtual machine that uses
256 MB of RAM, I have better chances of getting kernel panics. I will
have to try again and maybe try 1 GB of RAM this time.
Old June 28th 10, 12:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

On 6/27/2010 5:45 AM PT, Ant typed:

I found a way to get more chances of kernel panics now. If I run
VirtualBox with Windows XP Pro. SP3 (IE6) virtual machine that uses
256 MB of RAM, I have better chances of getting kernel panics. I will
have to try again and maybe try 1 GB of RAM this time.

BOO YEAH! Finally, I reproduced the kernel panic error outside of my old
Debian box. It is finally confirmed! Basically, I noticed more chances
of getting machine codes and kernel panics when I use VirtualBox's
Windows XP Pro. SP3. Over the weekend, it hit me that I need to try
this. I couldn't get it to read my old premade image, so I made a new
image and bingo reproduced! I guess VirtualBox is more demanding or
something?

Sheesh, that took almost a half of a year to reproduce this outside of
my old OS. :P Yay! Now, need to get rid of this old hardwares (probably
at the end of this year (after Chrismtas' return day?) when I upgrade my
Windows box).
Old June 29th 10, 07:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.hardware
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 6/28/2010 5:35 AM, Ant wrote:
[...]

Why were you even bothering to try it under another OS? I thought the
messages you were getting under Linux were pretty clear already.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 1st 10, 04:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

Why were you even bothering to try it under another OS? I thought the
messages you were getting under Linux were pretty clear already.

Because I needed proof/evidences that it wasn't caused my 2005's Debian
installation.
--
"We are closer to the ants than to butterflies. Very few people can
endure much leisure." --Gerald Brenan