Help! with CPU cooling fan for P5GDC Deluxe P4

Old January 3rd 05, 02:11 AM
Richard

Default Help! with CPU cooling fan for P5GDC Deluxe P4

Folks, I have a P5GDC Deluxe system board onto which I had placed a cpu
cooling fan(purchased from Fry's) but it just wasn't doing the job. I
would regularly get temps over 100 degrees Centigrade, and at 115 the
system would shut down. So I dismantled everything and took back the
fan. They sold me a Gigabyte Cooler-Pro,. PCU21-VG, which really
impressed me with the way it fit onto the CPU and its massive size.
The only problem is it has a wire to go to the MB that has a socket for
3 pins, but only has one yellow wire going down to the MB . The system
comes on, and runs for a few seconds, then shuts off. I don't think
the MB is receiving a signal that the fan is hooked up.
Does anyone have a work around for this, and perhaps a good
recommendation for a CPU fan that screws or hooks on, not one of those
that has those little fasteners that pushes down into the MB holes, and
that you have to turn in order to tighten in well?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, R.Dillon

Old January 3rd 05, 03:30 AM
Robert Hancock

Richard wrote:
[...]

If it only has one wire going to the motherboard, it likely is intended
to draw power from the power supply using a Molex connector, and connect
to the motherboard only for the RPM monitoring. Is there another
adapter that came with it?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old January 3rd 05, 03:40 AM
Bob Knowlden

The single yellow wire is the fan tachometer connection to the CPU fan
socket. It ought to work OK,as long as the additional power connections are
made to the fan so that there'll be a ground connection. If it doesn't,
there is probably a BIOS setting for the P5GDC to ignore the fan RPMs. (I'm
using such a setting on my A8V mainboard, as I'm using a Panaflo fan that
lacks a tachometer connection, and a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink.)

(I haven't used that exact combination, but I've had some Antec case fans
with a similar wiring scheme: single wire to the mainboard connector for the
tach, with the power supplied by a 4 pin Molex connector of the sort used
with IDE drives. The ground for the tach was supplied through the Molex
connection.)

If you've lost the installation manual to the PCU21-VG cooler, it's
available for download:

http://america.giga-byte.com/DeskTop...21-vg_en_1.pdf

The power to the fan is supplied separately, from one of two fan speed
controllers: one version fits in an empty 3.5" external drive slot, the
other mounts in an empty PCI card slot opening. Are you using one of those?
Does the fan spin? (Sorry if I'm being insulting, but you said nothing about
connecting the fan to the controller.)

You shouldn't need a monstrous heat sink like that unless you wish to do
some serious overclocking.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

oups.com...