emu10k1m.sys causing XP system to reboot

Old June 8th 04, 11:38 PM
K. Hillyard

Default emu10k1m.sys causing XP system to reboot

For the past month, my PC has suddenly rebooted itself about once
every six or seven days. When XP has restarted, I get the usual "Your
system has recovered from a serious error, would you like to report it
blah blah blah ."

When I send the report and get the screen about what most likely
caused the error, it ALWAYS lists emu10k1m.sys. I've tried
downloading another copy of the file over the old one, renaming it to
emu10k1m.bak (which simply results in another copy of the .sys version
showing up upon a reboot), but nothing has seemed to resolve the
issue.

Any suggestions?
Old June 9th 04, 04:24 PM
Lenny

When I send the report and get the screen about what most likely
caused the error, it ALWAYS lists emu10k1m.sys.

Since you write here, I guess you've identified the file as belonging to the
drivers of your soundcard. Renaming it will not help, as it is sort of like
removing the distributer from the ignition system of your car and expect it
to work better afterwards.

Have you tried the more obvious route and downloaded the most recent driver
set from Creative?

Old June 10th 04, 02:05 AM
K. Hillyard

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
Since you write here, I guess you've identified the file as belonging to the
drivers of your soundcard. Renaming it will not help, as it is sort of like
removing the distributer from the ignition system of your car and expect it
to work better afterwards.

Have you tried the more obvious route and downloaded the most recent driver
set from Creative?

I wasn't sure if it was a required file for the SB Live to function in
Windows XP or not - I was thinking that it *might* be for emulation
(given the beginning of the filename) and not a "standard" function.

I haven't tried installing anything from Creative, because I wasn't
sure which package the .sys file came from - if I remember correctly,
the last time I installed all the drivers for the SB Live, there were
a few different packages. But I guess I should go ahead and
un-install it all and reinstall at this point. As I mentioned, I did
at least replace this particular .sys file with another copy from the
'net, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.
Old June 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Lenny

I wasn't sure if it was a required file for the SB Live to function in
Windows XP or not - I was thinking that it *might* be for emulation
(given the beginning of the filename) and not a "standard" function.

The sound DSP used on the Live and Audigy series of cards is designed by a
company called E-mu or some such that Creative bought in the late 90s, and
the chip itself is called E-mu 10001; hence the filename. It has nothing
to do with emulation, trust me.

I haven't tried installing anything from Creative, because I wasn't
sure which package the .sys file came from

Just go to the sblive website and do a search for driver updates. It should
direct you to the automatic updater, just use that and you should be on your
way to hopefully fixing this vexing problem.

Old June 10th 04, 03:49 PM
K. Hillyard

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
Just go to the sblive website and do a search for driver updates. It should
direct you to the automatic updater, just use that and you should be on your
way to hopefully fixing this vexing problem.

So I tried that - their auto updater claims I have the latest and
greatest drivers for the SB Live. So I went into the Device Manager,
manually removed the Creative SB Live! and Creative SB Live! Gameport
entries, and rebooted. But Windows XP just automatically re-detects
the hardware, and re-installs the drivers. Back to Creative's
website, and it says the same thing - that I've got a SB Live
installed, and all the drivers are up-to-date.

Is there a "better" way to remove the drivers so I can get them
reinstalled from Creative's website, rather than having XP do it
automatically?
Old June 10th 04, 10:05 PM
Lenny

Is there a "better" way to remove the drivers so I can get them
reinstalled from Creative's website, rather than having XP do it
automatically?

Removing the card in the device manager doesn't actually uninstall
anything - just as you noticed yourself. Try the control panel's
Add/Remove Programs applet instread. Alternatively, if you don't find any
helpful info there, there should be uninstall info on the creative site.

Old June 26th 04, 04:47 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Are you using the Microsoft default drivers or te Creative ones?

Unless you specifically installed the Creative ones, you're generally better
off with the Creative ones. Windows Update gives you only the Creative ones.

Cheers
Sha
om...

Old June 26th 04, 04:48 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Use the manual update and install them manually.

The auto-update page has an option to install manually.

Cheers
Sha
"K. Hillyard" wrote in message
om...
"Lenny" wrote in message

Just go to the sblive website and do a search for driver updates. It

should
direct you to the automatic updater, just use that and you should be on

your
way to hopefully fixing this vexing problem.

So I tried that - their auto updater claims I have the latest and
greatest drivers for the SB Live. So I went into the Device Manager,
manually removed the Creative SB Live! and Creative SB Live! Gameport
entries, and rebooted. But Windows XP just automatically re-detects
the hardware, and re-installs the drivers. Back to Creative's
website, and it says the same thing - that I've got a SB Live
installed, and all the drivers are up-to-date.

Is there a "better" way to remove the drivers so I can get them
reinstalled from Creative's website, rather than having XP do it
automatically?

Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 12:14 AM
Hard Drive as slave keeps system from booting jack General 6 March 7th 05 05:13 AM
Need help: System Restore malfunction HistoryFan Dell Computers 18 February 6th 04 10:04 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
AIW Redeon needs to reboot system after Video capturing ? Leon Lien Ati Videocards 3 July 14th 03 03:21 AM