conficker--C

Old March 26th 09, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mb_

Default conficker--C

OK -- this threat, supposedly set to be unleashed on 4/1, is making
news.

Is there anything I need to do?

I keep Avira up to date. I use ZA and MBAB.

Should I do an extra scan on 3/31?

Any recommendations from the experts here?

Mel
Old March 26th 09, 05:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

if you are running win2k/xp/vista and have automatic updates enable then you
should have already received/installed the patch that was released on
october 23, 2008. you can either manually run windows update
(http://update.microsoft.com) or look in add/remove programs with the 'show
updates' box ticked, and look to see if kb958644 appears in the list. there
are lots of updates so look at the date to zoom in on it... it should be
dated about 10/24/2008.
or you can apply the patch again by visting this page and then clickin gon
your particular operating system...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-067.mspx

Old March 26th 09, 10:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"mb_" wrote in message

OK -- this threat, supposedly set to be unleashed on 4/1, is making
news.

Is there anything I need to do?

I keep Avira up to date. I use ZA and MBAB.

Should I do an extra scan on 3/31?

Any recommendations from the experts here?

Mel

Are we as vulnerable if we are browsing with FF or GC?
Old March 26th 09, 01:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Is there anything I need to do?

Possibly. Microsoft has patched the underlying vulnerability, so you
should make sure you have their patch. Run Windows Update and check to
be sure. (And if you don't have Automatic Updates turned on, consider
doing so.)

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool should be run on your
system. It's delivered with each month of Windows updates. You can run
it manually by clicking on Start, choosing Run... and typing in MRT.
Follow the directions that appear on screen.

If your software is up to date, and the Microsoft tool finds nothing,
run a scan with your AV software just to be sure.

William
Old March 26th 09, 01:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Are we as vulnerable if we are browsing with FF or GC?

The Conficker worm exploits vulnerabilities in the Microsoft file/
printer sharing service. An attack would be most likely to come from
another, infested computer on your local network. The vulnerabilities
are of a nature where the infestation would be a "silent" process as
it exploits Windows services, which typically do not have a "front
end".

When you have it, a number of security and system health services are
disabled. Access to some security resources may be blocked. It may
also open an HTTP server.

William
Old March 26th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff[_6_]

mb_ wrote:
OK -- this threat, supposedly set to be unleashed on 4/1, is making
news.

Is there anything I need to do?

I keep Avira up to date. I use ZA and MBAB.

Should I do an extra scan on 3/31?

Any recommendations from the experts here?

Mel

wikipedia says:

The Conficker worm spreads itself primarily through a buffer overflow
vulnerability in the Server Service on Windows computers. The worm uses
a specially crafted RPC request to execute code on the target computer.[6]

if any windows services are made public on the internet, you are
basically asking to be ass invaded

seen as you have ZA, you prob fine
most people have routers these days and aren't directly online anyway
Old March 26th 09, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

Ok well the Conficker worm has badly infected Military sites around the
world, Macfee supposedly released a patch for their AV BUT it never worked
even once microsoft had patched their systems and their is still
reinfections occurring continually. The is also a new varient which struck
today which is a "A" variant. this is an exceptionally clever worm that
apparantly came out of Russia.

Best advice is keep your machine on to keep recieving updates and patches
from MS and your AV company, and if your machines are networked then take
every precaution. and dont open any attachments you dont know who they are
from.

Old March 26th 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
yirgster

bitdefender has a free program that claims to test for the presence of
the latest known version of cornflicker. It has both a single machine
and a network version of its program.

http://www.bdtools.net/

It says my machines are unaffected, but I take all patches from MS
automatically, and sometimes by hand as I've seen my machines updated
with as much as a day or more interval between them.

Btw, as already mentioned, the latest versions of the virus attempt to
subvert functionality of AV programs.
Old April 1st 09, 03:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In
,
mb_ typed:
OK -- this threat, supposedly set to be unleashed on 4/1, is making
news.

Is there anything I need to do?

I keep Avira up to date. I use ZA and MBAB.

Should I do an extra scan on 3/31?

Any recommendations from the experts here?

Mel

Well about 13 hours into it, with an estimated 10 million computers
infected. Nothing is happening so far. I am surprised at the IT people
who works for corporate corporations. As 60 Minutes on CBS did a piece
on this virus last Sunday. And they even found this virus on their
network. Where do they find these people?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old April 1st 09, 03:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Apr 1, 8:44*am, "BillW50" wrote:
,

" I am surprised at the IT people who works for corporate
corporations."

Frankly, I am suprised you would construct such a sentence!
(And, isn't it a worm?)