UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

Old July 15th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Willard Sandilands

Default UPS with a " I don't want it to beep' option

The cable that you need originally came with the UPS. GUARANTEED
(unless the UPS was not truly new and sealed, e.g. if it was "open box").

But, that said, APC is absolutely idiotic for not just using standard
USB sockets on their UPS'.

All of the APC UPS' that I have (500VA, 725VA and 1,500VA) can be
programmed not to beep; some of the earlier models with serial port
interfaces cannot be so programmed. I THINK that all models with USB
ports can be programmed.

Many of the low end UPS' with 300-350VA ratings have what I call "toy
batteries" .... 12 volts at THREE amp-hours. Many of these are in a
compartment originally intended for the very standard 12 volt 7AH
batteries, with insert fins molded into the compartment for the smaller
battery. A little bit of work with some plastic cutting tools will
enable you to upgrade those units to the larger 7AH battery (it's pretty
obvious when you can and cannot do this). I've been told, but cannot
verify, that the 350VA units are actually the same as the 500VA units
except for the smaller battery.

- Bobb - wrote:

I grabbed the APC UPS (ES350U) from the living room and went to hook it
up to my PC to program it - and NOW I remember why I didn't install the
software. For me to connect the UPS to be able to program it , I need to
buy a USB to RJ45 cable for $39. That's why I never did it ! I paid $30
to buy the UPS - I'm not gonna pay $39 to talk to it !

SO, I just came from BestBuy. They have a Cyperpower 550VA UPS on sale
for $35 - with a cable and software. I'll program IT, put it in the
living room and then unplug it a few times to see if it 'remembers' to
not beep. If that works OK, I'll then use the 350VA APC UPS for the PC
and just turn it off when I lose power. If it doesn't work , I'll
disconnect the pseaker in the APC and return the CP UPS to Best Buy.

William - I had looked before at APC for schematics. I'm with you -
disconnect the speaker and put a note on it to remind myself in case I
ever DO want it to beep.

Thanks guys.

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:04tmi.11934$Xa3.3087@attbi_s22...
Hi!

APC markets some units that can be told not to beep at all. The BR1500LCD
and BR1300LCD models can both have their beepers configured to stay
off. You
can find at least the 1500 model for sale at Best Buy in the US. It is
advertised as a "Back UPS XS" there. Price is around $144.

For your existing UPS units, a little circuit modification might be in
order. I have "muted" various UPS units in times past by opening them up
(unplug the unit, disconnect the batteries FIRST and *be careful* --
these
things contain hazardous parts that may store energy even after the
battery
is disconnected) and removing the offending beeper. This is effective
but it
will invalidate any warranty your UPS is under.

William

Old July 15th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Willard Sandilands

Default UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
becomes completely discharged).

- Bobb - wrote:
Rank,

Do you know ...
If I hook each up to my PC, then program it , will those settings work
WITHOUT a PC ? Or is it their software that controls it ( with a PC) via
the external cable ? Would you know: if I program it - after the
batteries discharge will it 'remember' or need to reprogram it each time ?
I couldn't find that answer at apc.com
I'll check their site again, but I remember scrolling thru their
Knowledge Base until I was seeing W98/NT issues - pre my models and
found no info on 'ALARM'

Thanks

Old July 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

"Willard Sandilands" wrote in message
. net...
For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
becomes completely discharged).

For the Cyberpower I bought - that's how it looked. I installed sw on a
backup image ( so it doesn't show ( not connected every time I boot), ,
hooked up USB2 cable, chose " Disable all alerts" and shutdown pc - hooked
up the UPS in living room and when I unplugged it / back in - no beep -
great! (My APC had only rj45 and 2 rj12 jacks)

Thanks

Old July 15th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Val[_2_]

Bobb

If you want one of those RJ45 to USB cables, let me know. I've ended up
with several that I don't use, not even sure if I still have UPSs around
that they go to.

Remove the obvious from my reply email.

Val

Old July 15th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default UPS

Thanks Val,
If others say " I got one", then it's here - somewhere.
I'll check and let you know if I do need one.
Thanks for the offer.

Old July 16th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Dave Martindale

Willard Sandilands writes:
The cable that you need originally came with the UPS. GUARANTEED
(unless the UPS was not truly new and sealed, e.g. if it was "open box").

But, that said, APC is absolutely idiotic for not just using standard
USB sockets on their UPS'.

They seem to have changed. The one I'm using now does indeed have a
standard USB B jack on it. No special cable needed.

Dave
Old November 22nd 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Billsey

- Bobb - wrote:

I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
Advice? Different vendor?
I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
noise!

Store-purchasable UPS's are intended ONLY for computing equipment and NOT
for ANYTHING ELSE. They do not produce anything even resembling clean
power, but only a 60Hz, 120v SQUARE WAVE, which could do DAMAGE to
non-computing equipment. If you have and require life-sustaining equipment
that requires uninterruptible power, I suggest you get something from the
local power company instead of the electronics store. If you have anything
other than computing equipment connected to power through a
store-purchasable UPS I suggest you remove it from the UPS—for the
equipment's own sake. The proper use of store-purchasable UPS's is to
connect computing equipment that has on-board data-storage capacity through
the UPS's battery back-up. The proper procedure in case of power-outage is
to IMMEDIATELY SHUT-DOWN that computing equipment properly—then TURN OFF
the UPS. When you do this, the beeping will stop. If you are using
store-purchasable UPS's for anything other than computing equipment you are
MISUSING those UPS's and putting your equipment in danger of damage FROM
THE UPS. If you insist on continuing such practices, then you are
displaying your own stubbornness and stupidity—and you deserve what you
get.
http://www.lulu.com/billsey