A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Processors » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 7th 12, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

In message , R. C.
White writes:
Hi, John.

Actually, is there _any_ email software (XP, 7, or even '9x) that
stores each email as a separate real file? (In real
folders/directories?)


Yes! As pointed out by Mortimer a few posts down...

Windows Mail, OE's successor that was integrated into Windows Vista
over 5 years ago, discarded OE's All-In-One humongous DBX file approach
and introduced a new scheme. Other more-techie users can describe the
details better than I can, but in WM, each email message is saved in a
separate .eml file, and each newsgroup post in its own .nws file.
Windows Live Mail continues this new scheme.

[]
Thanks for that information. Definitely food for thought!

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I
use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)[email protected]+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley
  #2  
Old June 7th 12, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene Wirchenko
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I


Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])


I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
  #3  
Old June 7th 12, 11:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I


Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)[email protected]+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
  #4  
Old June 8th 12, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I


Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])


I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.


I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.
  #6  
Old June 8th 12, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:32:17 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:04:03 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I
Cue or queue the suggestions...

use them at work], though I do find they _tend_ to integrate more into
the OS - if only by assuming they're the default for more than just
their primary purpose - than I feel comfortable with. But WLM might be
different. [I also can't help thinking "Live" means "assume permanent-on
connection", which is alien to my philosophy. But maybe it doesn't.])
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.


I use Thunderbird and Agent.

I switched to Thunderbird because it has a open email folder format. It was a
PITA to lose a decade of email history.


If you switched from Outlook or OE, as long as the .pst file (or its
backup) isn't corrupt, you can import all your e-mail into Thunderbird.


No, it was PMMail.
  #7  
Old June 8th 12, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Gene Wirchenko
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:39:39 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Gene Wirchenko
writes:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:09:36 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

[snip]

(Anyone know of email/news software that does this that _isn't_ from
Microsoft? Not that I have a _strong_ prejudice against MS products [I


Cue or queue the suggestions...

[]
I use Qualcomm's Eudora for E-mail and Forte's Agent for USENET.

[]
Wow, do _those_ store individual emails/posts in individual files then?
(If so, does it extend to Eudora OSE, which is really Thunderbird?)


Oops! I missed that bit. No, Eudora and Agent both put messages
of a mailbox/newsgroup in a file. Each mailbox/newsgroup has its own
file.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bit of a historical question: MS-DOS Yousuf Khan[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 110 July 6th 12 07:30 PM
16 bit ms-dos subsystem errors jinxy[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 2 July 9th 11 03:00 PM
dos and 48 bit lba Skeleton Man General 10 January 14th 05 03:54 AM
Slow loading - 16 bit DOS programs Joe Grant Dell Computers 6 January 26th 04 06:59 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.