ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old September 12th 05, 07:32 AM
Maximus1234

Hi Guys!

It's great to see that this thread keeps on going!

This time I wounder if someone knows what cind of Samba is implemented
in the Argosy (FW 006-0804). I'm having big trubble connecting my Xbox
to the device.

When I bougt the Argosy I didn't have the Xbox in mind but then I
converted it to a mediacenter with Xbox Media Center, now it would be
perfect to connect the NAS.

Since the Xbox can talk to my PC (XP Pro SP2) and my PC can talk to
the Argosy I belive that the problem lies in version-incompabillity
of the smb between the Xbox and the Argosy.

If someone knew how smb is implemented in the Argosy, perhaps it would
be possible to mod the Xbox-smb to fit the NAS.

Keep up the good work investigating the NAS!

/M

Old September 12th 05, 03:32 PM
hoogie69

winuxwrote:
hoogie69:

What kind of error are you getting when you try to configure the

unit?

When you connect it directly, don't forget to change your IP address

to 169.254.0.x because the unit defaults to 169.254.0.1.

After changing the IP as indicated, I was able to access the unit.
Now, when I try to format the drive, I get the "General Error, see
manual" but nothing in the manual gives a hint as to how to rectify
the issue. I will check the earlier posts for suggestions but any
further hints would be appreciated. TIA

Old September 13th 05, 04:30 AM
fixuser

Also, tonight I learned a bit more about the commands available on the
device if you TELNET into it. For many of the commands, if you type
'-h' after , it will show all the command options. I have tried a
few, like changing the IP address of the SNTP time server to one I
use regularly with the command:
sntpc server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Just some FYI for those that want to hack into the device further ...
have fun. Irmat, I'd be curious, if the
the LANDISK shows the same/similar commands if you telnet into it.
Just telnet to the IP of you landisk and the type 'help' to see a
list of the commands available.

Old September 13th 05, 06:32 AM
Kane81

fixuserwrote:
Irmat,
Kane81,
I do find storing the PST files on another PC with file sharing

works okay. I just run into the corruption when I move the same
files onto the NAS. So, I think in the article is clarifying that
Outlook was not intended for that particular useage, but I agree with
dilettante in that it may not be efficient, but it appears it
possible ... at least at my house. I've run 40 MB and 300 MB PST
files over our LAN from PC to PC and it works. At times, there are
some slow downs, but nothing that really hinders usage. Again,
thanks for the article reference.

I'm using a 300 meg Outlook pst file on my LanDisk, it works ok, but I
get a corruption every now and then (maybe once every 3 days) for no
reason. So I copy the file to my computer, repair it then move it
back onto the LanDisk and all works well. If I try and create my .pst
file on the LanDisk directly via mapped network drive, the pst is
automatically corrupt. the work around was to create it on the
computer and copy it to the LanDisk. Then you set outlook to read it
from the network drive.
I'm using Outlook 2003.

I'm guessing the corruption has to do with the SAMBA implementation,
because outlook is heavily accessing the file, somewhere SAMBA
miswrites something and causes the corruption. network sharing via
two computers using XP does not use SAMBA thus why the corruption
doesnt seem to happen in the example case you gave.

on another note, I'm using the argosy 804 firmware and still have
problems with the disk not waking. thus it becomes unavaliable
randomly. this can happen 4 times a day, i have to shut the NAS down
and restart, very annoying. I have a WD 200 Gig drive on Cable
Select. - I couldnt pick up the drive on master or slave. As for the
chip number, will have to post when I get home.

Old September 13th 05, 07:31 AM
Kane81

hey does anyone know anything about the Netgear and Maxtor network
hard drive cases?

is it the same as argosy and triton?

Old September 13th 05, 10:31 AM
Kane81

my chipset is

RDC
R2881

Old September 13th 05, 03:32 PM
fixuser

Kane81,
If I follow your notes correctly ... you are running a LANDISK with
the Argosy 06-0804 firmware, is that correct? If so, I'm curious
what happens to the 5 lights on the LANDISK, as the Tritton and
Argosy products only have 1 LED that serves multiple functions.

In regards to the Outlook usage. I think I've broken my Outlook
issues into two ... 1) occurs when I get a Windows delayed write
failure. While this generates a Windows error message, it doesn't
actually seem to cause any problems. 2) the PST file is corrupted.
Which if you follow [b:9315e2343a]dilettante's[/b:9315e2343a] notes
from above about the End of File (EOF) pointer in the file becoming
corrupt, that may be the source of the corrupted PST file. Tritton
has confirmed the EOF pointer corruption and also agreed that this
may be the cause of the PST file become corrupt. They believe a
firmware release to fix this is coming soon.

Lastly, as for the Netgear product (SC101), I've been watching for
this product since earlier this spring because pre-release notes on
Tom's Networking web site suggested it would have very fast data
transfer over ethernet (when compared to existing NAS units) and it
would be available in June. Well, I've watched for it all summer
and am just now I'm seeing it for sale at CDW and CircuitCity (in the
US). There is still no mention of the product on Netgear's US web
site, but their UK web site shows it as 'coming soon'. But, if you
dig deep enough, you can find the manual on the Netgear web site at:

Netgear Documentation . I'm going to wait and see what the
reviews have to say about its performance before I really consider it
... I don't have the time to debug to NAS units right now.

Old September 13th 05, 05:38 PM
winux

The Netgear produc is up on the site. They just released it yesterday
(Sept 12). It's just the enclosure, selling for about $115, but
everyone is already backordered. Looking into it, they are
backordered for a couple of weeks.

The only thing I see it's main advantage thus far is it's ability to
mirror. It also uses something called "Z-SAN Technology." This sounds
a bit proprietary like the Ximeta where you have to have software
loaded on your computer to work. Also, it would make the Netgear
product not a 'real' NAS...?

Some drawbacks I read from the spec sheet on it:

1) It requires a DHCP Server; cannot set it to a static...?
2) No SAMBA implementation--means Linux and Mac users cannot use it.

They also have a very WRONG comparision chart on their site. It states
you cannot a)Have a single drive NAS appear as a drive letter in My
Computer (ummm, YES--Mapping!), b) Cannot hide private data from
others (Tritton unit has password protected shares) c)Stream video
and music simultaneously (I do this with Tritton unit) d) Requires
certain HD manufacturers for drives (no requirement with Tritton
unit) e)Does not include backup software (Tritton does).

Of course, after I just read the above statements, there is a very
small line that they compare it to the Maxtor, Iomega, Buffalo, and
Linksys only.

I couldn't find the manual on their site, nor any support for it yet.

I dunno, it sounds like a proprietary product to me, and not very
configurable. I will wait for reviews as well.