ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

Old November 1st 05, 04:22 AM
Peter

Default ARGOSY - HD363N - Network Storage

In the UK, a company called span.com does external drives that connect
via ethernet.

Have a look on their website.

If it's available here, it will be more so in the US.

Probably also about $70 minus the drive itself.

Probably a piece of crap too...Anyone tried it?

Old November 1st 05, 05:13 AM
Odie Ferrous

Peter wrote:

In the UK, a company called span.com does external drives that connect
via ethernet.

Have a look on their website.

If it's available here, it will be more so in the US.

Probably also about $70 minus the drive itself.

Probably a piece of crap too...Anyone tried it?

I'll most likely be getting one in to test.

Will post details if and when.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old November 1st 05, 08:30 AM
eds

Odie Ferrouswrote:
I simply cannot believe you are actually spending so much time on a
product that clearly is a pile of sh!t.

Get rid of it.

Get something decent.

Stop clogging up the newsgroup with drivel concerning what is

nothing
more than a toy. And a bad one, at that.

Good grief.

If you're serious about your data, then do something serious about

it -
don't get a pile of cr@p and expect it to perform.

Absolutely mindless. Give it up.

And take your posts to "alt.mindless.drivel" in future.

OD

I don't know what your problem is with this product, Ferrous. And
since when it is "clogging up a newsgroup" to post problems and
troubleshooting tips? That's what this newsgroup is for. Before
giving your two cents, I'd like to know -- do you own the product you
are so much against? Are you in this forum to offer help or do you
work for Span.com pushing their NAS?

I have the Tritton/Argosy NAS and with the newest firmware update it
has been a great buy. The speed has been on par with most other NAS.
My biggest complaint is its poor Samba support, but it's a trade off
I'm willing to make for an NAS that cost less than a hundred bucks.

If you're not going to help with troubleshooting, how about taking
your comments somewhere else.

Old November 1st 05, 03:26 PM
Eric Gisin

"eds" wrote in message ...

I don't know what your problem is with this product, Ferrous. And
since when it is "clogging up a newsgroup" to post problems and
troubleshooting tips? That's what this newsgroup is for. Before
giving your two cents, I'd like to know -- do you own the product you
are so much against? Are you in this forum to offer help or do you
work for Span.com pushing their NAS?

I have the Tritton/Argosy NAS and with the newest firmware update it
has been a great buy. The speed has been on par with most other NAS.
My biggest complaint is its poor Samba support, but it's a trade off
I'm willing to make for an NAS that cost less than a hundred bucks.

If you're not going to help with troubleshooting, how about taking
your comments somewhere else.

There are good NAS built upon Linux embedded, perhaps XP embedded too.

I doubt the Argosy is, as there are far too many bugs. I does appear to be junk.

Old November 1st 05, 05:31 PM
Dawn

So far, I have found Argosy Support to be very responsive to my input
concerning the problem I described. I have traded several emails
with them in as many days and they are clearly working on the issue.

The HD363N is not quite ready to fulfill all the roles that people
have come up with, but if Argosy and Tritton continue to support
firmware development for it, the final product is very close at hand,
I'm sure. I suspect that writing firmware to emulate a portion of a
Windows operating system along with other things like Samba, etc., is
not a trivial task and it should only be expected that a number of
hidden or subtle bugs would emerge over time.

For those of you simply trolling this thread, keep in mind that most
of the issues described here were resolved months ago. The latest
NetHDD006-1013 firmware rev has addressed pretty much everything that
remained. The bug I described a day ago is actually a little tougher
to reproduce than I initially outlined, but Argosy is on top of it,
it appears. I will post updates as appropriate.

Junk? I see no basis for such an opinion. This device has evolved
quickly over the last few months and should prove quite capable for
most users.

Old November 1st 05, 05:49 PM
Odie Ferrous

eds wrote:

Odie Ferrouswrote:

[...]

My frustration is more with the vendors / manufacturers of these
products and how they manage to persuade prospective buyers that they
are fit for purpose.

I can understand the user's equal frustration at not being able to get
it to work properly, but surely time should have been called on this
issue?

Sure, if the device were a "proper" NAS device costing $000s then I
could side fully with him.

But beating your head about over something that costs so little and is
clearly mickey mouse-ish - no thanks.

There doesn't appear to be a viable solution for the user other than to
return it to its place of purchase. To drag it through the group on a
nearly daily basis is pretty mind-numbing.

Odie
Old November 1st 05, 06:04 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:40:47 GMT, lid (Thomas) wrote:

What is the next level up from this $70 NAS enclosure?

Note: I may not see replies to this, as my usenet feed on this
account is not very reliable.

I recently purchased a couple of network HDs from Iomega, mostly
because they were fairly inexpensive. I was looking for a simple,
low-maintenance, networked redundant backup archive and MP3 server.
After a ton of research and nothing that was perfect (and not much
hard data at all), I decided to go with inexpensive, figuring I'd test
the functionality while keeping my stuff backed up.

I first got an Iomega Network HD - 160 G for $130 after rebate -
because it was on the shelf locally (easy to return if needed) and
feedback on the net has been reasonably good. It's worked well - very
simple to hook up and configure, but is not very flexible or
expandable, and is slow (roughly 3 MB/sec transfer).

It turned out I filled it up quicker than I thought, and the slow
speed was a problem for moving full backups over, so I bumped up to
the next level.

Since the Iomega worked well enough, I looked at their 100D, which is
bigger and can add expansion drives via USB (which I haven't tested
yet). I got a 250 G on ebay for $250 shipped from Iomega's outlet
store. It's only FAT32, but that's typical in these low-end net
disks. It's also got 802.11G wireless built in, but I don't need
another AP, and it only has WEP encryption, so I've disabled it.

It was more trouble to initially configure, but after futzing around a
bit, it's been working fine. Raw copy speeds are closer to 5.4 MB/sec
(I haven't done any solid benchmarking yet), but curiously, Second
Copy speeds are similar to the slower Network HD. I haven't dug into
any of that yet.

The Network HD has been running for several months now with no
problems, and the 100D has been running for a week or so, also with no
problems.

I'll be writing up a more comprehensive report on these when I get the
time, but so far, they've been good for my basic needs (simple
directories nested only a few deep, no huge files, not a lot of
traffic, no strong security needs, backups located away from my main
PCs).

Old November 1st 05, 06:31 PM
winux

I agree. I have been using this product since its initial debut and
though buggy at first, the latest firmware seems to work quite well.
I have had no problems with it thus far.

You have to think that just because Person A has problems, Person B
may not. Factors include software running on the computer, routers,
switches, and all. The same is true for any piece of hardware. Like
printers--I know plenty of people who love HP printers and have had
no problems with them. But I also know people who experience one
problem with them and they then think all HP products are crap.

If the problems someone experiences are not reproduceable by others,
or by a select few, then perhaps you should all look at the common
factors involved, down to the smallest detail.

Old November 1st 05, 08:31 PM
Thomas

Here's a list of the NAS devices I was checking out before settling on
the Tritton/Argosy unit. Mac support was a big deal to me but what
really cinched it was this thread and the fact that there seems to be
some real support and refinement from the manufacturer. Yes, it
seemed to have been released a little early, but the unit seems to be
a lot more robust now.

Inexpensive NAS list:

Tritton Simple NAS TRI-NSS001 – Main
Company?
[b:e0908a6da7]Argosy HD363N
IONi HD363N
Inno-Tide
MediaSonic HD363N
Cintre NAS100
V-gear LANDISK
Bytecc ME-850[/b:e0908a6da7]
Same unit ?
No USB for add on drives
Mac support
$59 cheapest

[b:e0908a6da7]Hawking Net-Stor
Hawking HNAS1
ADS NAS-806-EF[/b:e0908a6da7][list:e0908a6da7]Same unit?
Drive size limited to 250MB
No USB for add on drives
No Mac support
$94[/list:u:e0908a6da7]

[b:e0908a6da7]LaCie Ethernet Disk Mini[/b:e0908a6da7]

[b:e0908a6da7]Western Digital Net Center[/b:e0908a6da7]
[b:e0908a6da7]
NetGear SC101[/b:e0908a6da7][list:e0908a6da7]DHCP only, cannot set to static
No SAMBA implementation-- Linux and Mac users cannot use
it.[/list:u:e0908a6da7]

[b:e0908a6da7]Maxtor NAS
Simple Tech[/b:e0908a6da7][list:e0908a6da7]Includes HD?[/list:u:e0908a6da7]

[b:e0908a6da7]Buffalo Technology Linkstation[/b:e0908a6da7]

[b:e0908a6da7]Iomega NAS 100D[/b:e0908a6da7][list:e0908a6da7]Includes HD
USB
$363[/list:u:e0908a6da7]

This is just info I have pieced together from various
websites/forums... does this look right?

Old November 1st 05, 11:30 PM
ydgmms

I'm looking into getting one of these drives for multiple purposes....
well ok.... like 2.

1) to have my mp3/FLAC collection accessible to all my computers (2
desktops + 1laptop0 as well as my modded xbox running XBOX Media
Center.

2) to have my videos accessible via XBOX Media Center

3) Possibly use as a download space, instead of my PC.

i have a couple of questions;
I've been looking over this thread, i read that almost all major bugs
have been fixed, what if any still exist?

Has anyone tried one of these with xbox media center. I know XBMC can
access Samba and SMB shares. If I share a folder on my pC, xBmc can
access it using the workgroup samba.

Can I pre-format a drive? The drive I'm planning on using (Maxtor
200G) is already in my PC. I was wondering if I can format it to
FAT32 32k clusters, and then load up my mp3/flac/video collections
and then just put that drive into the NAS unit. or do i have to
format it using the NAS's software?

thank you.