Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

Old January 21st 19, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Filip454

Default Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

On 2019-01-19 10:43, Chris wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

Based on what? It's practically a 10 year old os that had been
superseded
twice (three times, if you include 8.1) and Microsoft has very
clearly and
in plenty of time announced its EOL.

So not a chance.

As others have said though there's nothing to stop you from
continuing to
use it.

I do NOT think Windows 10 is ready for the prime time, it's update is
absolutely as horrifying as a data doomsday.

It's a horrible os, but it does work as well as any windows release.

I do not agree at all.

Especially on slower laptops, Windows 10 runs absolutely TERRIBLE -
cheap Pentium laptops for example like HP G4 250. It should not be
even preinstalled on those machines.

Windows has never worked well on under-powered (for it's generation)
hardware.

My "works as well as as any windows" is a very back-handed comment. It
means that when it works it works fine, but sometimes it can be crashy
as hell for people for no real reason.

Some of my most "time-consuming" issues/problems that I have encountered
on my pc and laptop over the years, have been caused by Windows Updates.
Recently, I had to learn how to delete my entire "update history" in
order to get Windows to perform an update. Thank goodness (for me) that
many other people encountered and fixed the problem before I did. I
spent about 6 hours trying to fix the problem myself before I went
googling for a solution (my bad). It took a number of hours after that
too, but I didn't stand around and watch.

In general, auto-update is a very bad idea. It causes trouble.
Old January 22nd 19, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Filip454 wrote:

In general, auto-update is a very bad idea. It causes trouble.

I don't use auto-update. But I did not use my laptop for 4 or 5
months, tried to download and run the updates, and soon found my
system could not even check for an update. I think the problem is
specific to HP and ASUS laptops. A naive user might have trouble
doing the fix--it required some long keyboard entries at the
command line. Basically, just closing a service, renaming a file,
and restarting a service--not rocket science, but not something
my parents would try to do.