Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

Old January 18th 19, 12:07 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

Default Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

In message 20190117090848.50d76286@milospc, Johnny
writes:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 22:37:21 +0800
"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

I doubt it; I can't see how any company can be obliged to continue
supporting an obsolete product, unless they were foolish enough to ever
promise to do so. I would say it's like expecting Ford to continue to
support the Model T, but I have a feeling they do.

I could see a company being prevented from deliberately _breaking_ an
existing product, however. But you're going to need powerful lawyers,
and possibly even a change in the law, to force that through.

I do NOT think Windows 10 is ready for the prime time, it's update is
absolutely as horrifying as a data doomsday.

It will never be ready. it will only get worse.

I was perfectly happy running Windows 7, then Microsoft started
deliberately destroying its operating system. I have never understood
why a company would do this.

As well as "to make you buy the new one", it's so they can put an end
date on supporting the old one, which costs them money and brings in no
income for them. I'm not supporting them in this, of course.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

he was eventually struck off by the BMA in 1968 for not knowing his gluteus
maximus from his humerus.
Old January 18th 19, 01:01 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

I doubt it; I can't see how any company can be obliged to continue
supporting an obsolete product, unless they were foolish enough to ever
promise to do so. I would say it's like expecting Ford to continue to
support the Model T, but I have a feeling they do.

snip

One might wonder what's obsolete about Windows 7, and who gets to make
the determination in the first place? It certainly doesn't seem obsolete
to me. In fact, it seems to be much more functional and stable than 10,
although that opinion isn't universal.

Old January 18th 19, 01:46 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

I doubt it; I can't see how any company can be obliged to continue
supporting an obsolete product, unless they were foolish enough to ever
promise to do so. I would say it's like expecting Ford to continue to
support the Model T, but I have a feeling they do.

snip

One might wonder what's obsolete about Windows 7, and who gets to make
the determination in the first place? It certainly doesn't seem obsolete
to me. In fact, it seems to be much more functional and stable than 10,
although that opinion isn't universal.

I don't even think it needs to be compared to Windows 10.
As Windows 10 is just full of circus tricks.

If you need basic functionality supporting modern APIs,
Windows 7 has most everything you might profit from.

Paul

Old January 18th 19, 01:53 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Filip454

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

[...]

Personally I think Windows 8.1 is the best option out there for people
who do not want to use Windows 10 (me). Windows 7 boots slower than 8.1
+ start menu is not really necessary for me.
Old January 18th 19, 03:41 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware,alt.conspiracy
Panthera Tigris Altaica

On 2019-01-17 09:37, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

Not a chance.

I do NOT think Windows 10 is ready for the prime time, it's update is
absolutely as horrifying as a data doomsday.

No-one is forcing you to use it. I know people who are still using XP;
the fact that Microsoft has stopped supporting XP makes no difference to
them. You can simply keep on using Win 7, support or no support. You can
install one of the many Linux distros. You can get a Mac. There are many
other possible choices.
Old January 18th 19, 04:45 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?
I doubt it; I can't see how any company can be obliged to continue
supporting an obsolete product, unless they were foolish enough to
ever promise to do so. I would say it's like expecting Ford to
continue to support the Model T, but I have a feeling they do.

snip
One might wonder what's obsolete about Windows 7, and who gets to
make
the determination in the first place? It certainly doesn't seem obsolete
to me. In fact, it seems to be much more functional and stable than 10,
although that opinion isn't universal.

Obsolete was the wrong word. I meant the company that makes it is no
longer selling it. Microsoft have always behaved as if their latest was
best - would be a massive loss of face for them to backtrack. The only
way out when they _have_ nailed their colours to a dud, in the past, has
been to bring out the next one. But with their statement that 10 will
be/is the last Windows, combined with their new (for 10) upgrade policy,
they can't do that now.

I don't even think it needs to be compared to Windows 10.
As Windows 10 is just full of circus tricks.

If you need basic functionality supporting modern APIs,
Windows 7 has most everything you might profit from.

Indeed.

Paul

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Abandon hope, all ye who ENTER here.
Old January 18th 19, 10:13 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware,alt.conspiracy
Aslan Bashiyev

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

You might as well try engthen the life of democracy in Hong Kong
using the legal system.

[followups set]

--
民主好! 民主好! 民主好!
Old January 18th 19, 12:53 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mechanic[_2_]

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 03:45:39 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Obsolete was the wrong word. I meant the company that makes it is no
longer selling it.

That's really a choice for MSFT. When/if they no longer support a
version - usually after a couple of newer versions have been
released - they are perfectly entitled to label the old version
'obsolete'. Fans of such versions of course may crowd together and
share hints and tips, just like fans of old cars do even after the
original makers went out of business. At the present time we know
MSFT have released win10 versions 1511, 1607, 1703,1709, 1803, 1809
in a semi-annual pattern of feature updates. Hard to keep up for
large user organisations no doubt, but easy enough for individual
home/pro users, just like a stream of service packs. The only hard
choice recently is the move from support for 32 bit machines to a 64
bit focus. That is a hard one when there are significant numbers
still with 32 bit machines.

Fair enough for the Win7 crowd to get together and share their
nostalgia for the old days, but no need to pollute the Windows10
newsgroup with such sentimentality.
Old January 18th 19, 06:39 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ken Blake[_3_]

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court to force Micro$oft to
extend its support for Windows 7?

I doubt it; I can't see how any company can be obliged to continue
supporting an obsolete product, unless they were foolish enough to ever
promise to do so. I would say it's like expecting Ford to continue to
support the Model T, but I have a feeling they do.

snip

One might wonder what's obsolete about Windows 7, and who gets to make
the determination in the first place?

Here is Merriam-Webster's definition of "obsolete":

1 a : no longer in use or no longer useful an obsolete word
b : of a kind or style no longer current : old-fashioned
an obsolete technology farming methods that are now
obsolete

As far as I'm concerned, it's not quite obsolete, but it's clearly
getting there. It's obsolescent. Here is Merriam-Webster's definition
of "obsolescent":

going out of use : becoming obsolete

Again, clearly Windows 7 is going out of use.

It certainly doesn't seem obsolete
to me. In fact, it seems to be much more functional and stable than 10,
although that opinion isn't universal.

I don't agree. In my experience, both Windows 7 and 10 are almost
completely stable. I don't remember any Windows 10 crashes here.

Also in my experience, Windows 10 is just as functional as Windows 7.
Anything that can be done in Windows 7 can also be done in Window 10.
Add third-party programs like Start 10 (which I use and like very
much) and Directory Opus (which I use and also like very much) and it
can be done just as easily (or more easily, in the case of Directory
Opus) as in Windows 7.

One other comment: what is perceived as Windows 10 lack of stability
by many people often has nothing to do with stability. Crashes can be
caused by many things: hardware problems, malware infection, user
errors, bad software, etc. And if a crash occurs on the computer of
someone who thinks Windows 10 is a bad choice, he usually doesn't know
what caused it, and typically blames it on Windows 10.

I'll take that one step further: roll the clock back and change all
instances of "Windows 10" in the above paragraph to "the latest
version of Windows," and it remains true. There are almost always
many people who think the latest version of Windows, whatever it is,
is terrible, and blame all their problems on it.
Old January 18th 19, 06:48 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Johnny

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote:

[...]

I never thought any of them were terrible until Windows 8.