USB stick leaking

Old April 27th 17, 10:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Diesel[_2_]

Default USB stick leaking

Mark Lloyd
Wed, 26 Apr 2017 00:44:34 GMT in alt.windows7.general, wrote:

On 04/25/2017 02:23 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

Common mistakes: "silicone chip" for semiconductors; silicon for
breast implants (which would be very uncomfortable!).

Yes. I've also heard "geranium diode".

Wow. I haven't heard that in years.

Old April 27th 17, 10:37 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Diesel[_2_]

"Linea Recta"
news alt.windows7.general, wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Mine is quite old indeed, but as said: not intensively used. I
have several other sticks of different make and indeed... with
metal case. BTW I had no idea that a USB stick is regarded as
"throwaway item".

Oh, it gets better. They have a lifespan limit in the sense of max
reads/writes they'll take, too.

Old April 27th 17, 11:09 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , Paul
writes:
Mike Easter wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
one of the yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made
of uranium, I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as
lead].)

I don't know about America's Cup, but a Pen Duick racing yacht had a
depleted uranium keel ballast because DU is almost twice the density
of lead, so you get to have a lot more mass in a lot less 'bulk' down
there.

DU 19 gm/cm3
Pb 11.3 gm/cm3
Hg 13.5 gm/cm3
Au 19.3 gm/cm3

I was surprised by the results. I thought mercury
was a shoe-in.

For making keels, mercury has a certain disadvantage!

[I've often wondered why an obvious choice is a "shoe-in".]

Bill Gates would make his keel out of Gold.

It's a bit soft.

Wikipedia lists this one is the densest naturally occurring one.

Osmium 22.59 g/cm3

(Is that more expensive than gold?)
[]
http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-cha...ts/density.htm

Paul

Hardness also required ...
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

And Jonathan Harker would never have sent all those letters to his beloved
Mina from Transylvania, he'd have texted her instead. "Stuck in weird castle w
guy w big teeth. Missing u. xxxx (-:" - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
Old April 27th 17, 11:44 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

On 26.04.17 2:44, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/25/2017 02:23 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

Common mistakes: "silicone chip" for semiconductors; silicon for breast
implants (which would be very uncomfortable!).

Yes. I've also heard "geranium diode".

What colour of flowers does it have?
Old April 28th 17, 01:08 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Diesel wrote:
"Linea Recta"
news alt.windows7.general, wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Mine is quite old indeed, but as said: not intensively used. I
have several other sticks of different make and indeed... with
metal case. BTW I had no idea that a USB stick is regarded as
"throwaway item".

Oh, it gets better. They have a lifespan limit in the sense of max
reads/writes they'll take, too.

Now, this is a USB stick. This is my go-to device
for OS installs (write new images onto it, then boot
from it).

https://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Turbo-Cha...ceType=desktop

Based on the long life it's had, it seems to be SLC.
Someone in the reviews, comments to that effect. I cannot
take it apart, without damaging it.

I also have a couple sticks here, both Lexar branded,
which use TLC flash, and these died after one year of usage.

So a new 32GB stick at Walmart today for $10 to $20, expect
it to last around a year. That to me is a throwaway item,
not suited to archival storage. Whereas the Rally one
I've got, seems to hold up a lot better. OCZ got out
of the USB flash stick business, and OCZ also went out of
business. Toshiba bought the brand, and it's still
making SSD drives with Toshiba flash inside.

There was a company, a couple years ago, who introduced
a line of SLC sticks. But they've already crashed and
burned, so the company has disappeared from the market.
There weren't any reviews, and no actual verification it
was SLC, and not some sort of pseudo-SLC solution. Some
TLC flash chips, keep a small cache region with better
characteristics, and that's done to give deceptive burst
write speed (as otherwise, the TLC would seem slow).

Paul
Old April 28th 17, 06:33 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Hardness also required ...

https://marskeel.com/repair-modifica...eep-your-boat/

"According to Mars Metal, over 90 percent of their bulb installations
are on boats with external lead keels, which are common on production
boats. Check with your manufacturer if you’re unsure about your keel.

If your boat has an iron keel you can install bulb halves, but
cutting it will be more difficult. Encapsulated keels present
several problems, not the least of which is finding out what kind
of ballast is really inside the keel. You may find yourself
cutting into lead shot, solid-lead blocks, iron blocks, or concrete.
Contact the builder to learn what you’re facing.
"

I'd heard of lead shot being used in keels, but according
to that article, there are at least two keel types. One
being solid. The other being a "container" for the
dense filler material.

There are even boats made with concrete hulls. With enough
buoyancy, they still float.

I'm just a land lubber, so discussions about rafts and folks-holes
and such, are foreign to me... A folks-hole is where you keep old
people when they get too old.

Paul