installing HD

Old January 10th 17, 07:56 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Don Phillipson[_4_]

Default installing HD

"Linea Recta" wrote in message
news
. . . I don't want a bigger Windows boot partition because I want to
keep the Macrium images in future small. I now have the new 160GB drive
divided in two partitions op 80GB. (80GB was also the total drive size)
Furthermore the old 160GB IDE drive is still in use (reformatted, after
being used as temporarily clone) and now formatted as one large partition.
Of course all these drives may be regarded "small" and "slow" measured at
today's standards, but my intention is to keep this PC running at low
cost.

To defer the new C:/ drive running out of space, you may
find it useful to put the Windows swap file (PAGEFILE.SYS)
onto another drive (done via / Control Panel / System / Advanced /
Performance / Advanced / Virtual Memory.) In general, drive C:
requires 10 per cent empty space to run as fast as it can.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 11th 17, 07:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Robert Nichols" schreef in
bericht news
On 01/09/2017 02:29 PM, Linea Recta wrote:
It seems a linux utility? I don't run or know anything about linux...
Running Windows 7.

The DOS/Windows utility is called "wdidle3" and can be downloaded from
several sources. The Linux utility is called "idle3-tools".

The setting it changes in the drive is persistent across power cycles,
so you only have to use the utility once in the life of the drive.

Thanks, found the utility. I'll get into the issue asap.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 12th 17, 01:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Linea Recta" schreef in bericht
news
"Robert Nichols" schreef in
bericht news
On 01/09/2017 02:29 PM, Linea Recta wrote:
It seems a linux utility? I don't run or know anything about linux...
Running Windows 7.

The DOS/Windows utility is called "wdidle3" and can be downloaded from
several sources. The Linux utility is called "idle3-tools".

The setting it changes in the drive is persistent across power cycles,
so you only have to use the utility once in the life of the drive.

Thanks, found the utility. I'll get into the issue asap.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Afraid it is not allowed to run this utility on my drive type (WDC
WD1600AVVS-63L2B0)

--------------------------------
This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard
drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than
what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is not
turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive
beyond repair and your data may be lost.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=113

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 12th 17, 05:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 01/12/2017 07:57 AM, Linea Recta wrote:

It seems a linux utility? I don't run or know anything about linux...
Running Windows 7.

The DOS/Windows utility is called "wdidle3" and can be downloaded from
several sources. The Linux utility is called "idle3-tools".

The setting it changes in the drive is persistent across power cycles,
so you only have to use the utility once in the life of the drive.

Thanks, found the utility. I'll get into the issue asap.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Afraid it is not allowed to run this utility on my drive type (WDC
WD1600AVVS-63L2B0)

--------------------------------
This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard
drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other
than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is
not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard
drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=113

I don't think the ...AVVS... drives are "green."

Perce

Old January 12th 17, 06:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Linea Recta[_2_]

"Percival P. Cassidy" schreef in bericht
On 01/12/2017 07:57 AM, Linea Recta wrote:

It seems a linux utility? I don't run or know anything about linux...
Running Windows 7.

The DOS/Windows utility is called "wdidle3" and can be downloaded from
several sources. The Linux utility is called "idle3-tools".

The setting it changes in the drive is persistent across power cycles,
so you only have to use the utility once in the life of the drive.

Thanks, found the utility. I'll get into the issue asap.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Afraid it is not allowed to run this utility on my drive type (WDC
WD1600AVVS-63L2B0)

--------------------------------
This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard
drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other
than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is
not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard
drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=113

I don't think the ...AVVS... drives are "green."

Perce

There was a green label on it. Now, I'm not colour blind :-)
Not going to take it out again.

How about these:
https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid...00avvs%20green

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Old January 13th 17, 02:46 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Robert Nichols[_2_]

On 01/12/2017 06:57 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
"Linea Recta" schreef in bericht news
"Robert Nichols" schreef in bericht news
On 01/09/2017 02:29 PM, Linea Recta wrote:
It seems a linux utility? I don't run or know anything about linux...
Running Windows 7.

The DOS/Windows utility is called "wdidle3" and can be downloaded from
several sources. The Linux utility is called "idle3-tools".

The setting it changes in the drive is persistent across power cycles,
so you only have to use the utility once in the life of the drive.

Thanks, found the utility. I'll get into the issue asap.

--

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

Afraid it is not allowed to run this utility on my drive type (WDC WD1600AVVS-63L2B0)

"Not allowed" is a misstatement. Nothing is preventing you from running
that utility on your drive, and it will work just fine. I've used it on
several WD "Green" drives, none of which were those obscure types that
WD mentions in the warning.

Your alternatives are to either accept the shortened life due to the
steady stream of head load/unload cycles or use the Linux utility
(which will do exactly the same thing as the WDIDLE3 utility does).