Our office LAN backup has just hit 3 TB

Old October 18th 16, 06:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default Our office LAN backup has just hit 3 TB

Our office LAN backup has just hit 3 TB (as the hard drives manufacturers rate TB). I freshly formatted the backup drive on the CRM
file server last Thursday. We have less than 1 TB left of free space on it after a full backup over the weekend (took 3 days to
refill the back hard drive).

I've been buying 6 TB external drives for over a year now. The three internal backup drives are all 4 TB. Looks like I will need to
replace them in a year or so. I would prefer 8 TB over 6 TB though even though they are $100 more.
6 TB:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-...dp/B013HNYVCE/
8 TB:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-...dp/B01BYLY4DM/

Lynn
Old October 18th 16, 07:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
Our office LAN backup has just hit 3 TB (as the hard drives manufacturers
rate TB). I freshly formatted the backup drive on the CRM file server
last Thursday. We have less than 1 TB left of free space on it after a
full backup over the weekend (took 3 days to refill the back hard drive).

I've been buying 6 TB external drives for over a year now. The three
internal backup drives are all 4 TB. Looks like I will need to replace
them in a year or so. I would prefer 8 TB over 6 TB though even though
they are $100 more.
6 TB:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-...dp/B013HNYVCE/
8 TB:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-8TB-Hard-...dp/B01BYLY4DM/

The Seagate STDT8000300 8TB can be weirdly variable in price here,
and I got mine for only about $50 more than the 6TB, not clear why.

Old October 18th 16, 09:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 10/18/2016 1:20 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I am going to stay with WD drives for now. They are "good enough".

Thanks,
Lynn

Old October 19th 16, 05:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

[...]

Haven't had one for many years now. I went with the Seagate hoping it might
be a Samsung now that Seagate had bought out the hard drive operation.