"Ransomware Visits Backblaze"

Old March 11th 16, 09:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

Default "Ransomware Visits Backblaze"

"Ransomware Visits Backblaze"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crypt...ware-recovery/

Chilling, welcome to the future.

This is why I backup our entire LAN to three different devices each day.

I also backup our entire LAN to seven rotating external hard drives, each once every seven weeks, so that we can rollback up to six
weeks if needful.

And our google based email does not allow EXE files inside attached ZIP files.

Lynn

Old March 12th 16, 01:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote on 2016/03/11:

"Ransomware Visits Backblaze"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crypt...ware-recovery/

Chilling, welcome to the future.

She was driving home. Her "Windows 10 PC" was obviously NOT a PC but
some weak computer running lackluster tiny apps (less features due to
less code to keep the app size down). No mention of what e-mail client
she uses on her tablet. Desktop e-mail clients don't permit .exe
attachments to get extracted without alerting the user. So what e-mail
client what this, ahem, high-tech user using?

This is why I backup our entire LAN to three different devices each day.

I also backup our entire LAN to seven rotating external hard drives, each once every seven weeks, so that we can rollback up to six
weeks if needful.

And our google based email does not allow EXE files inside attached ZIP files.

If you can reach network drives then so can ransomware. Do you look at
the logs of what files (by names) got backed up?
Old March 12th 16, 06:19 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 18:13:47 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote on 2016/03/11:

"Ransomware Visits Backblaze"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crypt...ware-recovery/

Chilling, welcome to the future.

She was driving home.

The article says "“Elli” from our accounting department was trying to go
home."

Looks like she was still in the office, but running around to get ready to
head out.

Old March 12th 16, 04:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Edward Diener

On 3/11/2016 3:38 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Ransomware Visits Backblaze"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crypt...ware-recovery/

If someone opens attachments in e-mails, and doesn't really know from
whom those e-mails are sent, that is not being very smart.

Chilling, welcome to the future.

This is why I backup our entire LAN to three different devices each day.

I also backup our entire LAN to seven rotating external hard drives,
each once every seven weeks, so that we can rollback up to six weeks if
needful.

And our google based email does not allow EXE files inside attached ZIP
files.

What does this last have to do with anything ? Google can make whatever
rules it wants with its own software. That doesn't mean anyone else
should follow their example.