Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

Old September 16th 15, 12:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

Ed Light wrote:

Rod is a troll. Just filter him out. I'd say.

Perhaps but I still find he sometimes prods me to do the research that I
should've done beforehand if for anything to prove him wrong.
Old September 16th 15, 04:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

VanguardLH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
VanguardLH wrote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Which of the SMART attributes give the maker and model? None.

Pity about the make and model that shows up
with almost all drives on the SMART report.

Evading the question again.

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

It's the hardware ID (firmware string) that identifies the device.

I said SMART REPORT for a reason.

Yeah, that's obvious why you are trying to obfuscate your response.
That does not actually specify what utility you were thinking about

I said ALL THE SMART UTES THAT I CAN THINK OF DO THAT, ****WIT.

but failed to mention, a utility - as it turns out - is not only
reporting S.M.A.R.T. attributes but performing *other* tasks,
like retrieving and parsing the firmware string.

Never said a word about SMART attributes, ****wit.

Since you chose to be obtuse, "REPORT"
adds no further clarification to "SMART".

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

You didn't determine how to retrieve the firmware string.

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

I did that despite your vague response.

Nothing vague about what I said, ****wit.

Yes, you can use the drive maker's own utility to get that
info since they know how to retrieve the firmware string.

And any even halfway decent SMART report includes it too.

Not if it only retrieve the S.M.A.R.T. data.

Can't think of any that do just that, ****wit.

The device's firmware screen is not part of the S.M.A.R.T. specifiction.

Never said it was, ****wit.

The firmware string was retrievable on devices
that provided it before S.M.A.R.T. even showed up.

Irrelevant to whether it is normally shown in a SMART REPORT, ****wit.

I was hoping there were 3rd party utilities that would
extract the hardware ID from the device's firmware.

There are, they are called SMART utes.

Doesn't require a utility to read S.M.A.R.T. data

Never said it did, ****wit.

(which does not identify the device).

Never said it did, ****wit.

Does require a utility that reads the firmware string
whether it also includes S.M.A.R.T. data or not.

Duh.

You got caught claiming S.M.A.R.T. provides device identification

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

and now you're trying to cover your for your mistake.

There is no mistake, ****wit child.

Couldn't find anything that said getting S.M.A.R.T. data would
divulge the hardware ID (which contains maker and model)

You could have got real radical and had a look at the
SMART reports that are all over the web and seen the drive
manufacturer and model listed on almost all of those.

S.M.A.R.T. has no attributes to report the device identification.

Never said it did, ****wit child.

Any of those so-called reports are the utilities
retrieving MORE than just the S.M.A.R.T. attributes.

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist
terminal ****wit children, ****wit child ?

Then I found:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...ID-MainBoard-I
http://www.soft.tahionic.com/downloa...code/idex.html

So, yep, you have to query the devices to get their hardware ID string
and other device attributes. Not all utilities to retrieve the firmware
string parse out all values.

I can't think of a SMART ute that doesn't include the drive's
manufacturer
and drive model number at the top of the SMART report.

Ah, so now you're finally admitting that S.M.A.R.T.
does not provide device identification

Never said that SMART does, ****wit child.

and these utilities have to retrieve MORE
than just the S.M.A.R.T. attributes.

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist
terminal ****wit children, ****wit child ?

It also means you've admitted it is not required

Admitting nothing, ****wit child.

and ineffective to retrieve S.M.A.R.T. attributes

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

when the intent is to identify the device.

HD Sentinel gives me most S.M.A.R.T. data and also parses
more out of the firmware string: VID, PID, hard disk model
ID (maker+model), firmware version, and serial number.

So as I said, there is no need to open the case to work out
what drive is being used in a particular external hard drive.

Yes, you explained that so well in your prior responses that no further
research was required to figure out what the **** you meant.

You're that stupid ? Your problem as always, ****wit child.

Plus you were wrong since S.M.A.R.T. does not identify the device.

Never said it did, ****wit child. So I'm not wrong.

S.M.A.R.T. and USB enumeration doesn't provide any of the ID info.

But almost all SMART reports do in fact have the drive manufacturer
and model listed at the top of the SMART report, presumably
because it can be handy to see which drive the report is about.

So unlike your original claim that S.M.A.R.T. identifies the device,

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth,
as you always do when you have got done like
a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

I have to instead use a program that retrieves the firmware string.

And ALL the SMART utes that aren't steaming turds that don't bother
to specify which drive the report belongs to do that, ****wit child.

That utility may include S.M.A.R.T. data but it is not required

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist
terminal ****wit children, ****wit child ?

nor relevant to identifying the device.

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist
terminal ****wit children, ****wit child ?

Lots of utilities do more than one thing.

But SMART utes normally do identify the
drive manufacturer and model, ****wit child.

Some only do one thing: what you want them to do and only that.

You quite sure you ain't one of those rocket scientist
terminal ****wit children, ****wit child ?

I had forgotten that I installed HD Sentinel. I have found other
tools, like those above, that will poll the devices to query for
their firmware string(s) to parse out values, like hardware ID.

So, like I said, there is no need to open the case to see
what drive is used in a particular external hard drive.

And, so, unlike you said, S.M.A.R.T. does not identify the device.

Never said it did, ****wit child.

Old September 16th 15, 04:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
VanguardLH wrote

Perhaps but I still find he sometimes prods me to do the research
that I should've done beforehand if for anything to prove him wrong.

Everyone can see you are lying thru your teeth
on that last, as you always do when you have
got done like a ****ing dinner, as you always are.

Old September 16th 15, 10:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 9/15/2015 4:57 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Ed Light wrote:

Rod is a troll. Just filter him out. I'd say.

Perhaps but I still find he sometimes prods me to do the research that I
should've done beforehand if for anything to prove him wrong.

Happy mindf*** !!

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old September 18th 15, 05:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 1:58:37 PM UTC-7, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:27:23 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
wrote:

I've found a few instances where with an external drive, the drive itself
had a USB interface instead of SATA. (Don't know how common that is but
I have seen it.)

I've never heard of such a beast. If you run across an example, please post
a link. Thanks.

Here's a photo of a WD 2TB internal 2.5" hard drive that's
native USB 3.0:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...tb-inside2.jpg

Apparently all 3.5" external hard drives sold now still
contain SATA drives in their enclosures, but it seems that
around 2010 or 2011, portable externals quit being shipped
with SATA 2.5" drives inside them. The Arab
language site Reepair.net had a discussion thread in
English (not Google translated), "How to-usb to sata harddisk"
that showed how to take a USB-only WD 2.5" drive from an external
and convert it back to SATA by removing some coupling capacitors
and soldering wires to the SATA signal points elsewhere on the
circuit board. That drive was actually SATA but had a SATA-USB
bridge chip onboard, and the modification bypassed the latter
chip. I don't know if newer USB-only drives have direct USB
electronics instead of such a bridge chip. Here are the
photos from the modification article, which I found in late
2010: http://imgur.com/a/0W2Nl

Old September 18th 15, 06:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 3:04:35 AM UTC-7, VanguardLH wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

You don't void the warranty by checking what drive is in there

Opening the enclosure for a pre-built external drive does not void the
warranty?

Some programs can tell you what's inside the box, provided its
SATA-USB interface chip is supported by the program. HDDguru.com
has several, including HDDscan.

Some cases are designed to snap together. Prying the half shells apart
often breaks off a tang or lip which is a telltale sign of opening the
case. Some put stickers on. If the seal is broke, removed, defaced,
altered, tampered, or rendered unintelligble then warranty is voided.

Apparently manufacturers are much more likely to complain about
stickers than snaps because sticker tampering is easier to notice
(even if you use a heat gun while peeling back the sticker to
prevent striations), and manufacturers break snaps themselves
because they open the enclosures quickly. But if you're worried
about any broken snaps rattling around inside, shake them out
of the enclosure so they fall out. There are lots of videos
showing how to open enclosures, but they'e not all good,
especially those that tell you to use a screwdriver to pry open
snaps. It's better to use something thin and with no sharp
edges, like a dull smooth knife, guitar pick, obsolete credit
card, or a plastic tool made especially for opening phones.

Old October 1st 15, 03:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Here's a photo of a WD 2TB internal 2.5" hard drive that's
native USB 3.0:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...tb-inside2.jpg

So that's how they make those tiny little portables. Neat!

I'm glad I didn't pry mine apart to get the HD out to put on SATA for a
run through wdidle, I think it is, that turns off the parking after a
few seconds feature. It can wear out the drive under the wrong kind of
activity -- too much parking.

Old October 4th 15, 05:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark F[_2_]

wrote:

I've found a few instances where with an external drive, the drive itself
had a USB interface instead of SATA. (Don't know how common that is but
I have seen it.)

I've never heard of such a beast. If you run across an example, please post
a link. Thanks.

Here's a photo of a WD 2TB internal 2.5" hard drive that's
native USB 3.0:

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...tb-inside2.jpg

The picture show a USB connector on the printed circuit board attached
to the frame that contains the platters. Due to the passage of time
since USB 3 became available, it is likely that the USB interface is
the direct interface to the rest of the drive, it is possible that
SATA actually the direct interface and it converted to USB on the
board. (For example, it might be possible to break connections to the
SATA to USB converter and wire up an SATA connection. Perhaps
that wouldn't work because of stray capacitance, etc., but the
"signal names" on the simulation of the device would be the
SATA signals.)

Thanks, that's very interesting! It's a first for me.

Old January 23rd 16, 05:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Sam

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 7:46:37 AM UTC-7, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0 adapter and a cable for less
than they sell any 6TB internal drive?

reliability?