Backblaze dumps hard drive data

Old February 6th 15, 12:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Neill Massello[_3_]

Default Backblaze dumps hard drive data

Enjoy.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-data-feb2015/

(H/T Josh Centers at TidBITS.)

Old February 6th 15, 04:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

On 2/5/2015 3:55 PM, (Neill Massello) wrote:
Enjoy.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-data-feb2015/

(H/T Josh Centers at TidBITS.)

Ooh, a new one. What about other companies beside Backblaze? I'd like to
see various reports from others.
--
"Is this stuff any good for ants?" "No, it kills them." --unknown
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @
Old February 13th 15, 03:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 02/12/2015 10:14 PM, cjt wrote:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-data-feb2015/

(H/T Josh Centers at TidBITS.)

Ooh, a new one. What about other companies beside Backblaze? I'd like to
see various reports from others.

I have not seen anything. I guess these others are cowards. Or rather
Backblaze if one of the very few non-cowards that dare naming names.

One of the "nice" side-effects of litigation cultu You do not get
critically neded data anymore, because somebody could object...

I'd be a lot more interested in seeing reliability data of drives
operated within their specs.

One of the advantages of Backblaze's data is that it gives some clues
concerning the longevity of "desktop" drives (which Seagate, for
example, says are intended for 8/5 operation rather than 24/7 operation)
when they are operated 24/7. I don't know about others, but our (home)
computers are hardly ever switched off: they may sleep or hibernate, but
my guess is that the hard disks are spinning a lot longer than 8/5.

Perce

Old February 13th 15, 10:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Jerry Peters

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

When any of my systems sleep (suspend to ram) or hibernate (suspend to
disk) the disk gets turned off. Hiberate powers down the computer
completely.
Old February 15th 15, 10:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , Jerry Peters
said:

When any of my systems sleep (suspend to ram) or hibernate (suspend to
disk) the disk gets turned off. Hiberate powers down the computer
completely.

Yay for people who do that. I don't, and I'm certainly not alone.

--
This one has Vanilla Coke! It's like drinking a Glade plug-in.
-- John Oliver
Old February 15th 15, 03:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
cjt

On 02/13/2015 08:37 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

What I took away from the article was that they punished the drives with
heat and vibration. I've found those two factors to be killers.
Old February 16th 15, 03:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Ant[_3_]

When any of my systems sleep (suspend to ram) or hibernate (suspend to
disk) the disk gets turned off. Hiberate powers down the computer
completely.

Yay for people who do that. I don't, and I'm certainly not alone.

Ditto with my desktop PCs.
--
"We may have no malevolent intentions toward an ant heap, but if we want
to build a house on the same site..." --Rendezvous With Rama
Old February 20th 15, 06:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Gone Fishin'

One of the "nice" side-effects of litigation cultu You do not get
critically neded data anymore, because somebody could object...

Arno

Many years ago Google announced that they failure data of the drives from
their data centers. They published it in a report but declined to include
make & model of each drive.

"Failure rates are known to be highly correlated with drive models,
manufacturers and vintages... However, in this paper, we do not show a
breakdown of drives per manufacturer, model, or vintage due to the
proprietary nature of these data."

Apparently "information to everyone" doesn't include those details.

https://static.googleusercontent.com...en//archive/di
sk_failures.pdf