Cables+Adapter for external HDDs? Which HDDs are good today?

Old January 25th 12, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Cables+Adapter for external HDDs? Which HDDs are good today?

Hello.

Last year, I ordered and used "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives" from
Amazon: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01...00_i00_details
.... It worked well for HDDs I used to connect to computers with their USB
ports. However, USB is slow due to USB2 speed. Is there another one that
can handle USB3, Firewire, ESATA, etc. on the computers' external ports
to be faster?

Also, what good big brands and models of HDDs to buy these days for
external purposes without buying external HDDs and enclosures. I will
need over six TB of storage so I assume 2/3 TB per drive for Windows XP
and higher?

All of these purchases are preferred to be on cdw.com if possible. Thank
you in advance.
--
Happy Chinese New Year (Dragon)! ^-^
| |o o| |
Old January 26th 12, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Jim Gibson

In article , Ant
wrote:

Hello.

Last year, I ordered and used "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives" from
Amazon: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01...00_i00_details
... It worked well for HDDs I used to connect to computers with their USB
ports. However, USB is slow due to USB2 speed. Is there another one that
can handle USB3, Firewire, ESATA, etc. on the computers' external ports
to be faster?

Also, what good big brands and models of HDDs to buy these days for
external purposes without buying external HDDs and enclosures. I will
need over six TB of storage so I assume 2/3 TB per drive for Windows XP
and higher?

All of these purchases are preferred to be on cdw.com if possible. Thank
you in advance.

There is this one from Other World Computing:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

--
Jim Gibson
Old January 26th 12, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:

Last year, I ordered and used "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives" from Amazon:
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01...00_i00_details
... It worked well for HDDs I used to connect to computers with their
USB ports. However, USB is slow due to USB2 speed.

Yeah, USB2 is surprisingly slow when you are used to SATA speeds.

Is there another one that can handle USB3, Firewire, ESATA, etc.
on the computers' external ports to be faster?

Yep, plenty of them support esata as well as USB2 and and some do
support USB3 now. Both arent anything like as common on the computer tho.

Also, what good big brands and models of HDDs to buy these days
for external purposes without buying external HDDs and enclosures.

Dunno, dont bother with that route myself.

I will need over six TB of storage so I assume
2/3 TB per drive for Windows XP and higher?

There are plenty of NAS systems around now that do that total capacity fine.

They arent cheap tho, they cost more than one of the 2TB drives, even
now that the 2TB drives have hiked due to the floods in Thailand.

All of these purchases are preferred to be on cdw.com if possible.

Old January 26th 12, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
Hello.

Last year, I ordered and used "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives" from
Amazon: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01...00_i00_details
... It worked well for HDDs I used to connect to computers with their USB
ports. However, USB is slow due to USB2 speed. Is there another one that
can handle USB3, Firewire, ESATA, etc. on the computers' external ports
to be faster?

Also, what good big brands and models of HDDs to buy these days for
external purposes without buying external HDDs and enclosures. I will
need over six TB of storage so I assume 2/3 TB per drive for Windows XP
and higher?

All of these purchases are preferred to be on cdw.com if possible. Thank
you in advance.

I have no idea about your source, but the by far best bargain here
is the WD 3TB UDB3.0 external drives. You basically get the enclosure
for free and the disk price is very reasonable when compared to
smaller drives. I happen to have several of them, and as long
as you operate them lying down (add 4 rubber feet on the side),
they are perfectly fine.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old January 26th 12, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:39:47 -0600, (Ant)
wrote:

[...]

Seagate has a single 4TB drive sold only in their external
USB3 case (for now, anyway--part of their GoFlex series)--so
you would only need two of them to exceed your minimum
capacity needs. I suspect production is limited due to the
Thai flooding, but that should be resolved later in 2012.
The GoFlex boxes have optional connectors with different
ports--all connectable one drive. They also have 2TB and 3TB
capacities (3TB is $200, I think--CDW sells it also).

4TB GoFlex/USB3 (with USB3) card from CDW:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Fre...0/2501675.aspx

Here are the various cables you can buy from CDW to connect
the drive to the computer (USB2, USB3, Firewire 800, eSATA).
They can all be ordered from CDW:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/accessories

What is nice about this series is the drive fits ANY of the
interface connectors--so you can move one external box to
any cable/computer. And, if a new interface comes along, it
is not hard for them to make a new interface connector that
will fit a standard SATA drive--so they will not go obsolete
until the SATA interface is discontinued and replaced.

Old January 26th 12, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Ant

Last year, I ordered and used "Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0
Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives" from Amazon:
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01...00_i00_details
... It worked well for HDDs I used to connect to computers with their
USB ports. However, USB is slow due to USB2 speed.

Yeah, USB2 is surprisingly slow when you are used to SATA speeds.

Yeah especially when dealing with many TB of datas.

Is there another one that can handle USB3, Firewire, ESATA, etc.
on the computers' external ports to be faster?

Yep, plenty of them support esata as well as USB2 and and some do
support USB3 now. Both arent anything like as common on the computer tho.

Yeah, but it would be nice to have if they do!

Also, what good big brands and models of HDDs to buy these days
for external purposes without buying external HDDs and enclosures.

Dunno, dont bother with that route myself.

I will need over six TB of storage so I assume
2/3 TB per drive for Windows XP and higher?

There are plenty of NAS systems around now that do that total capacity fine.

Are they portable and light to travel with?
Old January 26th 12, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Ant

[...]

Oh wow, they finally 4 TB. I remember they were stuck with 2 and 3 TB.

Old January 26th 12, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
[...]

No, significantly worse than normal external housings;.

Not clear if you actually need the whole 6TB in the one box or whether
a couple of 3TB boxes would do. There arent too many external boxes
that can do 6TB with all the 3 common interface protocols, USB2, USB3
and esata.

Old January 27th 12, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Gerald Abrahamson

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:16:27 -0600, (Ant)
wrote:

4TB GoFlex/USB3 (with USB3) card from CDW:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Fre...0/2501675.aspx

Oh wow, they finally 4 TB. I remember they were stuck with 2 and 3 TB.

They have been out for well over 6-9 months. However, they
have never (as yet) been offered as bare drives. They fell
to $199 (the 4TB GoFlex) for one week at MicroCenter before
the floods, then popped back to normal pricing. So, I would
say it is just a matter of time now before the drives start
hitting the market in volume. I would not be surprised if
drives under 1TB were eliminated as 1TB seems to be the new
low-cost entry point.