SATA Hard Drive to IDE Hard Drive Converter - Advice Requested

Old August 13th 11, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MN[_4_]

Default SATA Hard Drive to IDE Hard Drive Converter - Advice Requested

I have a SATA hard drive but the mobo has only IDE capability. After
searching the internet for a SATA Hard Drive to IDE Hard Drive Converter, I
was surprised to find an ABUNDANCE of such converters. Basically, the
converter is a small PC board that (1) plugs into the power and signal
connectors on the SATA drive and (2) has IDE drive connectors for both
signal and power (on the other side of the small converter board). Thus, I
can connect the IDE ribbon cable and 4-pin power connector to the drive as
if it were an IDE-type drive.

The following are my initial observations:

(1) The price range for these converters if from $4 to $20 -- although
the pictures look almost identical.

(2) SOME of the pictures explicitly show a master/slave switch, which is
important when connecting a true IDE drive.

HAS ANYONE had experience with a SATA Hard Drive to IDE Hard Drive Converter
to advise me about the above 2 items (as well as other things) -- so I can
chose a converter most likely to work correctly with my computer.

Old August 13th 11, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

MN wrote:
[...]

The one I own, is "IDE2SAT". Works like a champ, no problems. It
has a Master/Slave jumper, in case you wanted to use two IDE2SAT
adapters on the same ribbon cable. Chip used is Marvell 88SA8040-TBC1.
The adapter slides easily into the back of a SATA drive, but the
pin header for the IDE part is a pain in the ass (hard to remove).
You have to be careful, not to bend pins. Unit comes with
the necessary power cable (some adapters cause the user to buy the
power cable as a separate purchase).

http://ca.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/...verter~IDE2SAT

"allowing you to connected newer SATA drives to a older IDE motherboard port"

http://ca.startech.com/media/product...ls/IDE2SAT.pdf

What I'm still missing, is an adapter for the other direction (SATA motherboard,
IDE hard drive). I know what I want, but nobody in Canada sells it.

Not all of the chips are created equal, which is why you must exercise
some care before buying one. An item of contention is ATAPI
compatibility, the ability to use the adapter with an optical drive.
Check the reviews on Newegg, even the old obsolete reviews, for
more info.

Paul
Old August 13th 11, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
anotherpaul

On 2011-08-12, MN wrote:
[...]

I have one & it does work but the ide to sata is done at the old sata
speed, about 1/2 the current sata 2 transmission speed. I got it
at Frys where they had 2 types/models.

The biggest gotchu is would be your pc case; I just lucked out in
selecting the model that fitted regarding the door panel. My ide2sata
was just small enough so that I was still able to close the case door
with the cable in place. It is an Antec sonnata case & the drive sits
with the back end facing the case opening; ease of removal, etc but
the design didn't allow clearance for additions to the length of the
harddrive.